Awful road noise makes otherwise good car unbearable
By gregarious988 on
2011 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Yes, claims of 50+ mpg are true. In summer in Wisconsin I find myself getting 49 to 54mpg with each fill up without trying. The car is also functionally practical and the rear hatch is nice. All of this is countered by the fact that this car does seemingly nothing to insulate/dampen road noise. Quite literally, you will hear your tires going over ever pebble composing the blacktop pavement underneath you. In the 1998 Civic I used to drive, road noise was very noticeable above 55 mph. In the Prius, it is noticeable quite literally at 15mph and above. Trips of 1 hour or more at 55mph+ on anything but a freshly paved blacktop road will leave you feeling partially deaf.
Favorite Features
Hatchback design, fuel mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Additional sound insulation. I am now left deciding whether to shoulder the expense to have this done myself or whether to trade for a quieter car. This vehicle quite literally demands earplugs when driving at highway speeds in its present condition. This is with relatively new tires. The high design of the front center console also seems to waste a ton of space and cut down on legroom.