2011 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Never liked it much selling ne

2011 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Never liked it much selling next month
By wcascrs on

2011 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Will be selling on craigslist next month. Good riddance. Reliable, yes, satisfying and fun to drive? NO.
Yes this car has convenience features like push button start and smart entry and it gets over 50 MPG IF you go far enough that engine warms up (over 10 miles). Short trips like 2 to 5 miles, 30 to 40 MPG. It's easy to use and engine off whenever possible makes for quietness, no vibration when stopped. But,
I have never like this car very much and shouldn't have bought it: Toyota added the height adjustable driver seat in 2010 model, but it doesn't lower down very much. I'm 6'2" tall so the headroom not so good unless I lean back extra far, then steering wheel unreachable. Maddening. Sort of minivan seating, but it's a sedan, confused car. Drive is not so impressive: tepid acceleration if need to really get going and the engine wails. Bumps get through into cabin easily. Not very quiet on rougher freeway, if very smooth road, noise is ok. It's a boring to drive car: steering is video game light, little feedback. Lots of body roll in turns and not much tire grip. Corners weirdly. Interior design is sorta lame: slide armrest back to reveal 2nd cupholder, then my armrest is gone which btw is way too low because the seat doesn't lower enough. floating bridge console takes up extra space, does nothing. Hard, easily scratchable plastics all over dash and door panels. Radio replaced under warranty after about 1 1/2 years. I remove the ugly plastic wheelcovers before service cause they cracked one and that's a pita: have to move car to line up slots to pry off wheelcover. Hypermiling? You mean going slow and coasting? How boring. And it's sorta ugly and odd looking. No passenger has ever gotten in the car and been impressed, not a one.

• Climate control

• Ride comfort
  • Quality of materials
  • Interior design
  • Outward visibility

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By wcascrs
on 05/28/13 14:28 PM (PDT)

8-way power adjustable seat can improve the seating position, at least for me in a rental 2013 Prius Four. Tap front of the electric seat adjust button to flatten out seat cushion a bit (something cannot do on my mechanical 6-way seat), bring seatback forward a bit and driving position is then less awkward. Trouble is the power seat is only had in 4 and 5 models which can still be over $27k at discount prices. Pretty impressive how good Edmunds is with their reviews. They are a trusted source to me.

By wcascrs
on 08/27/13 19:30 PM (PDT)

Going to contradict my statement above to say I move the seat back down to a lower setting which gives adequate headroom. Seating position is still a bit awkward with little too much tilt in seat bottom cushion. Finally resolved to keep hands up high on steering wheel which helps in driving. I've grown a little weary of the unusual looking interior. There is really nothing of luxury or much desirability in the dash and interior. It's a bit too futuristic and frankly a bit dorky, but it can't miss 50 MPG at least when warmed up. If only putt 1 mile to store and back, well, expect maybe 38 MPG: engine doesn't warms up in 1 mile. Marginal power up hills, high road noise on rough freeway, bit dull handling, numb steering and funky looks are not high points in Prius.

By wcascrs
on 06/24/13 21:46 PM (PDT)

Some comments to follow up on my review: I'm 6'2" tall and there is plenty of headroom in the car. As stated above, the power seat would help to really dial in the best seating position, but I cannot say with a straight face that it is uncomfortable because it is good enough. I rely on an inch and a half slab of foam on driver's door as I always rest my left elbow, my arms are very long. Center armrest quite hard, made pad for it. No mechanical issues at all, knock on wood. Only a minor hood latch rattle Toyota got right on a fixed. These are great commuter cars and like everyone else says, NOTHING, no other gas burning car can touch its fuel economy. Over 15,000 miles, the average is 51 mpgs so far. No hypermiling games, just driving.

By wcascrs
on 07/22/13 16:22 PM (PDT)

Let it go on record that the 3rd generation 'liftback' Prius is not a very tall-friendly car for its driver. The ones with mechanical adjust seats are the worst. How is that you say? Although the driver's seat adjusts all over the place, inviting those with very long legs in, the steering wheel adjusts so little, it's a joke. It's like the seat and steering wheel are not meant to be in the same car. Net effect is I have to move my seat up pretty high such that my head is only 2 inches from the roof liner. I'm 6'2" tall, I should be sitting much lower but wheel doesn't allow that. I had to build a board to rest my right calf on to keep it off the center console also since leg support lessened when raising the seat. Tall buyers with long legs beware!