Never thought I'd get one...
By peterfletcher on
2011 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Honestly, I've had over 70+ vehicles since I was 16 years old and never thought I'd get a Prius of all things! Leased it for work and already its paying for itself. Pay half at the pump and going twice as far. At the gas station is where this car makes the most sense. I also realize why Prius drivers are so annoying to be behind.. its because they are trying to keep in ECO mode all the time! I just drive it like a regular car and I'm still getting 44 mpg with mixed driving. I am 6'2" and 238 lbs., so the seat was not made for me. I had to go to an upholstery shop to build up the seat bottom foam and side bolsters. Much much better afterward and no more neck pain. Crummy seats, but great car.
Favorite Features
Deceiving amount of room... hauled a two piece recliner I bought off craigslist.com today with no problem! I have grown to love the total silence when starting and stopping (was a bit erie at first). Tons of technology for the price! All windows auto up & down, metal valve stems, auto temp., excellent built quality, etc.. just a lot of nice little touches in a $25K car.
Suggested Improvements
Wish steering wheel telescoped farther. Power driver seat or a seat back recline knob that turns like VW has for infinite adjustments. Engine starting up when backing up in reverse can be startling at times (should be a lock out mode to prevent this). The top of the windshield is a bit low for taller drivers (had to remove the sun visor to see perfectly). More color choices.. and make those flat color choices.
By goldenprius
on 04/29/11 07:14 AM (PDT)

I am almost 6'7" and drive a 2010 Prius. Tall drivers should look into the web site ExtendMySeat. They sell a simple to install rail for the floor of all Prius model years that allows the driver's seat to go almost all the way back to the rear seat. I bought and installed the rail and the comfort level is amazing. I have longer legs than anyone I have ever met and I can fully extend my legs while driving. Now the Prius is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.

By peterfletcher
on 07/04/12 09:41 AM (PDT)

after a year of driving this car and 13K miles, i sold it. the interior does not hold up well to pets. the recycled plastic is soft and scratches easily on the door panels. my dogs collar tags were destroying the door panels. (the cloth interior is also of poor quality). my biggest complaint was that other drivers tend to not see you. ive never had a car so prone to having people cut you off or turn left in front of you. maybe its because its so low, silver in color, had dark tinted windows or other drivers just not wanting to be behind a hybrid... regardless, it was sometimes scary to drive and i was always on the defensive. i started driving with my headlights on during the day just to get people to see me better. i will say that after a year of owning the prius, it made me a better driver on many levels and even broke some bad habits. i went back to an suv and couldnt be happier. miss the mpg but certainly not the felling of being in a go-cart on the street. (note: when i traded it in, i even got a little money back after only 1 year in a 3 year lease.. resale is incredible on the prius)