From Zoom Zoom to Sip Sip...
By moondog12 on
2011 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I traded in a 2009 Mazda 6, that I loved, for a 2011 Prius III. It darn near broke my heart to do so, but I did it because of my 70 mile + daily commute into the DC Area. I had a friend with a 2010 Prius and she couldn't recommend it enough, so I finally gave in and started calling dealerships once gas prices hit $3.50 a gallon. I got my Prius as an end of year special and I must say, I'm impressed. While it certainly doens't Zoom Zoom like my last car, it has umph in Power Mode! Don't let the ho-hum of the hybrid nature fool you. These cars *can* be zippy. If you're on the fence, go to a dealership and test drive. After 10,000 miles I went from 45 mpg on average to 53! Fantastic!!
Favorite Features
The included Bluetooth, 8 speaker JBL system, and Keyless Entry/Ignition. These are what made me feel like I was really getting a good value out of the Prius III (besides the obvious excellent MPG). Most of all, the 53 mpg. My last tank of gas cost $25 at $3.17/gallon. I was on my last bar, so getting low. Mind you, the Prius will tell you when it's time to refuel with a pleasant ding and a blinking screen. That's usually when you're down to about 15 miles left in your tank. Another feature I like. Until then, don't worry! Even on that last bar you have a ways to go.
Suggested Improvements
That darn Reverse-ding. It should be easily turned on/off but I've found nothing in the manual telling me how to do so. I feel like I'm driving a dump truck when I go into reverse. Not fun! If Toyota could make the Prius a smidge more fun to drive, I would be a little less bitter about my switch from a sportier alternative (and I'm not counting the sport package Toyota offers for the Prius). Better lumbar support in the lower models, or at least the option to add it on.