Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa on
2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I was "hooked" with my first test-drive. I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance. So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered. I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one. I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it. My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing. I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.
Favorite Features
The Prius is the most refined elegant small car I have ever owned and I've owned LOTS of them. It is so smooooth and QUIET with a comfortable interior, seats and appointments. The transition from electric motor to engine is almost imperceptible. It is one the most easy-to-drive cars: very light steering, light touch on the brakes, and the car just seems to pick up speed without any lurching, sort of like an old Buick Dynaflo automatic transmission. Roominess in the back seat is amazing and storage is ample. The gas mileage? I got 53.5 MPG on my latest tank. My monthly gas bills have been CUT IN HALF! When I want to get up and accelerate, it has plenty of smooth power to keep pace.
Suggested Improvements
Very few but I'll mention these: 1) the back-up beeper when the Prius is in reverse should be on the OUTSIDE of the car because it is absolutely silent when backing up. 2) The fuel filler neck occasionally overflows without the filler nozzle auto-shutting off. 3) The view out the rear window is limited and the rear quarter panels block the adjacent lanes so changing lanes and maneuvering must be done with great care. I was aware of the rear visibility problems in advance of my purchase and have compensated for that. 4) Develop a way to clean the lower half of the rear window where most of the visibility is.