Used 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 254 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Civic Hybrid vs. Prius
By civictoprius

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid after putting over 150,000 miles on it and have been driving Honda's for 20 years, I purchased a 2010 Prius II. The new versions of the Hybrid Civic can not come close in MPG. After having the Prius for months and 7000 miles I can report the Prius rides better, is more powerful (in regular and PWR mode) more stable on the road, quiter, and is more roomy. with at least 50 MPG commuting and carpooling over 130 miles per day. The late versions of this model only goes to 9 mph in EV mode and not 25 mph as advertised.

Having driven it in the snow and ice, it is as sure-footed as any car I have driven, but only in the ECO mode which is perfect power for not slipping during acceleration and slowing down. I held out for the 2010 version and like the ability to change "modes" with ECO and PWR, but see little differance in fuel consumption in either mode. Family likes the passenger room as well as the rear leg room. The batteries replacement and life expectantcy of the Prius is better in comparison to the Civic's that depreciates the value of the car rapidly as the miles increase, giving the Prius better value.

Cons are like the other reviews read; squeaky dash and center console, plasticky interior that scratches easily and is hard to clean. Want to be able to display just the lower readings on the computer without showing the graph. Don't like the back up beeper on inside of car, without it being on the outside. Want the gas gauge and miles countdown left to be more true and actually match the fuel level left in the tank, maybe list a primary and reserve amount, seperately. Front grill area chipped from road debris and shows dark primer under primary silver color. Would like to see the 17 inch tire as a standard option. The driver's seat needs an adjustment for lumbar support.

One year in.
By lvboardwalk

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our Prius on the last work day sat. feb 27, 2010 and got a great deal. It was quota time and with all the recall
news on Prius we ended up saving $4,200.
We also found a Toyota dealer
on line to get and extended factory
warranty for $820. as opposed to the dealers $1399. After some 7,000 miles we were amazed to get some 53mpg warm weather and around 47 in the Ohio cold. Very pleased with the mialage.
We have never driven in anything but ECO gear.
We will replace our 2004 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix) with a new Prius once we see what the new ones have to offer. The Vibe has been excellent but is now obsolete.
My daughter will take it over.

We like the solor roof and the GPS altho were still learning it (300+ pages) Our Garman plug in is less complicated. The trunk space like our Vibe is very spacious especially when dropping down the seats. The synthetic oil is a nice touch since we dont have to take it in till 10,000 miles. It may cost more but not as often. The mialage is a big plus for us since we drive to Pa. and WVa. casino's. We fill it up and have pleanty of gas to drive around on when we get back....amazing. Our passengers compliment the Prius on it being quiet and roomy comfortable especially on a long trip.

The plastic finish scratches especially around the point of securring the seat belt. In the III you have to turn on and off the headlights. We did'nt have to do that in our older models of Toyota's, thus we now have to remember to turn them on and off. I believe the IV has auto headlights but we did'nt want leather seats.

Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa

I was "hooked" with my first test-drive.
I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance.
So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered.
I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one.
I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it.
My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing.
I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.

The Prius is the most refined elegant small car I have ever owned and I've owned LOTS of them. It is so smooooth and QUIET with a comfortable interior, seats and appointments. The transition from electric motor to engine is almost imperceptible. It is one the most easy-to-drive cars: very light steering, light touch on the brakes, and the car just seems to pick up speed without any lurching, sort of like an old Buick Dynaflo automatic transmission. Roominess in the back seat is amazing and storage is ample. The gas mileage? I got 53.5 MPG on my latest tank. My monthly gas bills have been CUT IN HALF! When I want to get up and accelerate, it has plenty of smooth power to keep pace.

Very few but I'll mention these: 1) the back-up beeper when the Prius is in reverse should be on the OUTSIDE of the car because it is absolutely silent when backing up. 2) The fuel filler neck occasionally overflows without the filler nozzle auto-shutting off. 3) The view out the rear window is limited and the rear quarter panels block the adjacent lanes so changing lanes and maneuvering must be done with great care. I was aware of the rear visibility problems in advance of my purchase and have compensated for that. 4) Develop a way to clean the lower half of the rear window where most of the visibility is.

Great Car!
By escoandesco

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a retired car dealer so having always had access to a car, I left my family scratching their head when I bought my first new one in about 30 years or so. Even crazier was the fact that I was the co-owner of a Honda/Acura Dealership during the 90's. I was attracted to the Prius because of it's 21st century styling and the experiences I had with them while out of town
and using one as a rental. I never had to put gas in the darn thing, the needle never seemed to move. That was the real motivator for me ... "cheap to drive".

I purchased the Prius V because it had everything I like as far as features. The heated leather seating, easy access to all the equipment, and a fantastic stereo system make the car very desireable to me.

I've only had this car for about 3 months and all seems well. I expressed alittle concern to my Toyota Service Center that I was getting only about 41 mpg. I was told that because we are living in the Northwest, we have the heated seats on, the lights on all the time, the heater fan on high, the stereo blaring, etc, etc. and that the engine is actually running more frequently, hence less gas mileage. According to Toyota, the gas mileage should go up with warming weather conditions, we'll see.

Prius IV - Great Experience Since August 2010
By grimey2

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reviewed this car's traits as compared to other hybrids presently on the market. In "Power" mode, plenty of pickup is always available. Its like driving a regular Corolla (has the same engine) but I find "Eco" is perfect for every situation. Leather seats are high quality/durable & dash layout is easy to read. Nice XM radio & BT interface for handsfree - works well. Agree with center console squeaks. While worse in cold wx, UNSAT for a Toyota. Have had no issues mechanically/otherwise with regen brakes, lurching, etc. 45-50 Avg city/hwy - love it

Smooth transition of gas & electric ops. Nice interior setup/display center & high quality leather seats. Audio buttons on steering wheel are sweet - slight touch triggers presentation of the control on dash so u know u r pushing the correct button...no taking your eyes off the road. Excellent legroom for passengers in backseat. I'm 6'4" & I fit comfortably in all seats to include driver position. "Power" mode lets me have fun when I want to without sacrificing economy. Blizzard pearl paint is beautiful in the sunlight! It shimmers...

Fix the center dash squeaks. A ton of folks have whipped this dead horse & u can add me to the list. If I buy the Prius IV, I should get 17" wheels vs hubcaps w/out having to shell out $2k more. My 2010 Speed3 was $23k & came w/sweet 18" RX8 wheels...really. Audio systems in Toyota r so hit/miss. Find one that works & go w/it. My wife's 2012 Sienna has a sweet radio that u could easily integrate...u get the point. EV mode is useless. Get the same result by being ginger w/the pedal in "Eco" mode. BL, 2000 miles & I'm a happy guy.