Used 2010 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 252 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was "hooked" with my first test-drive.
I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance.
So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered.
I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one.
I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it.
My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing.
I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.

The Prius is the most refined elegant small car I have ever owned and I've owned LOTS of them. It is so smooooth and QUIET with a comfortable interior, seats and appointments. The transition from electric motor to engine is almost imperceptible. It is one the most easy-to-drive cars: very light steering, light touch on the brakes, and the car just seems to pick up speed without any lurching, sort of like an old Buick Dynaflo automatic transmission. Roominess in the back seat is amazing and storage is ample. The gas mileage? I got 53.5 MPG on my latest tank. My monthly gas bills have been CUT IN HALF! When I want to get up and accelerate, it has plenty of smooth power to keep pace.

Very few but I'll mention these: 1) the back-up beeper when the Prius is in reverse should be on the OUTSIDE of the car because it is absolutely silent when backing up. 2) The fuel filler neck occasionally overflows without the filler nozzle auto-shutting off. 3) The view out the rear window is limited and the rear quarter panels block the adjacent lanes so changing lanes and maneuvering must be done with great care. I was aware of the rear visibility problems in advance of my purchase and have compensated for that. 4) Develop a way to clean the lower half of the rear window where most of the visibility is.

Great Car!
By escoandesco

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a retired car dealer so having always had access to a car, I left my family scratching their head when I bought my first new one in about 30 years or so. Even crazier was the fact that I was the co-owner of a Honda/Acura Dealership during the 90's. I was attracted to the Prius because of it's 21st century styling and the experiences I had with them while out of town
and using one as a rental. I never had to put gas in the darn thing, the needle never seemed to move. That was the real motivator for me ... "cheap to drive".

I purchased the Prius V because it had everything I like as far as features. The heated leather seating, easy access to all the equipment, and a fantastic stereo system make the car very desireable to me.

I've only had this car for about 3 months and all seems well. I expressed alittle concern to my Toyota Service Center that I was getting only about 41 mpg. I was told that because we are living in the Northwest, we have the heated seats on, the lights on all the time, the heater fan on high, the stereo blaring, etc, etc. and that the engine is actually running more frequently, hence less gas mileage. According to Toyota, the gas mileage should go up with warming weather conditions, we'll see.

Prius IV - Great Experience Since August 2010
By grimey2

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reviewed this car's traits as compared to other hybrids presently on the market. In "Power" mode, plenty of pickup is always available. Its like driving a regular Corolla (has the same engine) but I find "Eco" is perfect for every situation. Leather seats are high quality/durable & dash layout is easy to read. Nice XM radio & BT interface for handsfree - works well. Agree with center console squeaks. While worse in cold wx, UNSAT for a Toyota. Have had no issues mechanically/otherwise with regen brakes, lurching, etc. 45-50 Avg city/hwy - love it

Smooth transition of gas & electric ops. Nice interior setup/display center & high quality leather seats. Audio buttons on steering wheel are sweet - slight touch triggers presentation of the control on dash so u know u r pushing the correct button...no taking your eyes off the road. Excellent legroom for passengers in backseat. I'm 6'4" & I fit comfortably in all seats to include driver position. "Power" mode lets me have fun when I want to without sacrificing economy. Blizzard pearl paint is beautiful in the sunlight! It shimmers...

Fix the center dash squeaks. A ton of folks have whipped this dead horse & u can add me to the list. If I buy the Prius IV, I should get 17" wheels vs hubcaps w/out having to shell out $2k more. My 2010 Speed3 was $23k & came w/sweet 18" RX8 wheels...really. Audio systems in Toyota r so hit/miss. Find one that works & go w/it. My wife's 2012 Sienna has a sweet radio that u could easily integrate...u get the point. EV mode is useless. Get the same result by being ginger w/the pedal in "Eco" mode. BL, 2000 miles & I'm a happy guy.

A Fine Car
By twoofthem

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our 2nd one (other is 2008 base level, 17k miles). Looked seriously at Ford and Honda hybrids (used to own a Civic hybrid). For us, climate change is real, and while it would be best not to drive a car that runs on gasoline, at this point, where we live, it is simply not practical not to. The 2010 is a step up from the 2nd generation Prius in almost every way. Got the V with navi. Handles exceedingly well, due in part to the 17 inch wheels and wide tires. It is comfortable to drive (6'1) and ride in. More than ample power. LOTS of space. Excellent sound system. The look of the car is a bit odd compared to most other cars but its shape should not obscure fact that this is a fine car.

Reduced greenhouse gas emissions per mile driven. The seamless shifting between gas and electric motors (much, much better than 2nd Generation Prius). Handling (much, much better than 2nd generation Prius, at least on the V). Sound system. Comfortable seats, front and rear. Lots of space. Dashboard displays.

Amazingly, none.

So far very pleased
By sporin71

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We got our Blue Prius III almost a month ago and are very pleased so far. Living in Vermont, we had the car delivered with snow tires on it and between those, and the ever-cold tems, we are averaging just 40mpg so far. But that is to be expected under the conditions. I expect around 50 when temps go up and the LLR tires go back on.

With the snow tires, the car has been very good on the snow covered roads and I highly suggest that anyone dealing with regular snow falls run dedicated snow tires on this car.

I'm a big guy, 6' tall and 300+ and this car fits very well.

Only negative so far is a plethora of squeaks and groans from the hard plastic dash... worse in cold weather.

High mpg, Satellite radio, push button start and keyless entry which I was sure I would hate but now I wonder why everything doesn't work this way.

Make the passenger's seat height adjustable like the driver's seat is. Softer plastics on the dash with more isolation to deal with the squeaks.