2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
By Codyroo on 06/20/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've researched the Prius for 4 years before getting the car. It meets all of my expectations. 1) The gas mileage is as advertised. If you hold your freeways speeds down (speed limit) you can easily get 50 mpg or more. Short trips kill mileage, long trips are good. I average over 58 mpg for my daily 70 mile commute. 2) Stereo and bluetooth are nice 2) The brake and acceleration thing was media hype. There are no issues with my car. 3) This is not a 0-60 mph performance car, nor does it handle like a sports car. It has adequate acceleration and handling. 4) Rear visibility isn't very good out of the rear corner windows. Ensure you've adjusted your mirrors adequately.

Mostly Great, some problems
By Francis Degnin on 06/20/10 15:26 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mostly a love this car. I really wanted the plug in version, but decided it wasn't worth waiting. If you live somewhere with snow and ice, you should also be prepared to purchase very high quality winter tires--I recommended this to a friend of mine with Prius two years ago, it solved the problem of a light car on an icy hill. I have noticed the reported break problem twice in three months--even though it was supposed to be fixed. The bigger problem for me is a very high pitched whine which comes from the engine in warmer temperatures. The dealer wants to say it's normal, but none of my friends with earlier models report it. That's the only really annoying issue I have with the car.

After 1 year
By chuck on 06/16/10 16:51 PM (PDT)

Have not had any problems. great mpg 52-44. plenty of cargo space. very firm ride. transmission and no drive belts are my favorites. read and reread owners manual.

Traded a civic HCH
By Yup on 06/16/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

Owned a Civic hybrid for 2 years, this is a better car in every way, features, function, mileage, and room.

One Year Synopsis
By Steve Rugg on 06/09/10 22:31 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven all sorts of trips over the past year from long, 9hr cross- country trips to cross-town trips. The car performed well in each scenario. It does live up to its rated gas mileage (I get 50-55 MPG in town and 46-50 MPG on the road). I have noticed squeal in HI fan mode and an annoying squeak on bumpy roads. It could a little better lumbar support on those long trips. But the most annoying thing Toyota has to fix is the blind spots. This car is built so aerodynamically that it is like a cockpit. The only good visibility is straight ahead. The headrests block views, the extreme slope back window does too, even the rear view mirror obstructs views. Good A/C. Heat takes while.

Love this Car!
By mona813 on 06/09/10 07:03 AM (PDT)

Have owned Honda's the past decade. Driving 26K per year, my CR-V was costing too much. Test drove the Insight but wasn't impressed. Test drove the Prius and fell in love! I've been averaging 51 mpg so far. Very quiet and smooth. Just crossing my fingers it will handle winter and snow well.

The Truth about the PRIUS
By T.J. on 06/08/10 15:59 PM (PDT)

I have over 9000 miles on the prius 2.I really enjoy driving this car.In the winter mileage is about 44 to 48mpg and in the summer 50 to 52 mpg with mixed driving. A couple of rattles in the winter around dash area that go away when the temp warms up.We have 4 vehicles but after driving a car that gets this mileage I don't want to drive the others.The brakes were updated by the dealer but when the anti-lock comes on they do not grab. I have another appt with dealer. I have owned over 150 cars so its not me making something up but a problem with the hybrid braking system. For 22,000.00 and no sales tax I think its a good value. To spend more money I would purchase the hybrid ford fusion.

Wow
By Cycle11111 on 06/07/10 06:55 AM (PDT)

This is my first Toyota and all I can say is this car exceeds my expectations. I regularly beat the EPA mileage and if you also want it to move fast it does just great. Tons of room and very comfortable

Like the car
By prius driver on 06/04/10 11:33 AM (PDT)

It's been a fun car to drive. You can get hooked on trying to beat your best mpg. Traded Lexus GS 300 and I'm not sorry. Averaging 53 mpg in mixed driving. Quiet ride, almost calming, a liberating feeling.

My Prius still surges even after 'fix'
By Betsyr on 06/02/10 22:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius with high hopes, but soon the surges started. After the fix I was sure the surges would go away. They have not and I am having them more now. I understand that Toyota maintains that it is 'normal' to have that feeling of loss of brakes, but it's unacceptable. I take my foot off the gas way before an intersection and drive roads where I know the bumps. It works for the most part, but what will happen when I am on a 45 mph road and am cut off by someone on uneven surface! A wreck! A check on NHTSA shows that we are not the only people still having this problem! We want to trade-in but will lose 12k if we do. Lose money or possibly have a wreck - neither option is good.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$112 per month*