Used 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 254 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Excellent car
By hbedmunds

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was surprised at some of the reviews indicating care was uncomfortable etc.
I have never written a car review before, but the 2010 Pirus is such an excellent car, that it deserves a review.
I now have 29,000 miles.
I track the mileage on most fill-ups, and my average is 48.7mpg over more than 27,000 miles check.
Mileage is best in rush hour traffic, worst for short trips of 3 miles or less and when driveing higher than 65 mph.
I find the car fun to drive around town and VERY comfortable on long trips, much more so for my back than previous 1990 Maxima and 2001 Avalon.
We originally assumed that we would only use it in town, but now use it as exclusive choice for long trips. No issues

High gas mileage, handling, overall quality, no rattles. Note: you can adjust settings at dealer to turn off the back-up beeping, and to unlock all doors when touching driver handle.

Radio reception: By far largest complaint is that the FM reception is poor in base radio in the "II" version. Dealer said it was normal. If making choice again, I would have paid the extra $1K for better sound system and bluetooth, even though I do not listen to radio extensively. Reduce road noise at highway speeds (minor concern. is less noisy than cheap cars, and is quiet at low speeds). Would prefer tweaking design to have 5 star crash rating all around.

Improve the visibility
By hybridguy3

I owned my 2010 Prius for just under a year and learned to hate it for the following reasons:
Bad bad brakes, hit a bump and lose them for a split second, not dangerous but disconcerting.
Visibility to the rear and sides is awful, especially in the winter; the bottom half of the split rear window is impossible to keep clean.
My wife, who is 5'2", refused to drive it because of poor visibility.
The dash squeaked in cold weather.
Dashboard readouts difficult to read with polarized sunglasses.
The handling is not quick and the seats, while okay for a short drive are murder on a long one.

Bought a Civic Hybrid because it doesn't have any of the problems listed above.

I really liked the joystick gear shifter. It is very well positioned. Interior room is good. It is a little quieter than the Civic, but frankley both cars are noisy. The Prius gets better gas mileage than the Civic Hybrid, but only by a few miles per gallon, not enough to make up for the Prius defects in my opinion.

Get rid of the split rear window. Solve the sqeaking dash. Improve the seats. Make the steering quicker. Improve the side visibility. Improve the brakes.

surprised
By mcruzen

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an official car nut, bought a new prius 4 in December of 2010 to commute 20 miles to work.
Thought I have to sacrifice fun and comfort for the fuel economy.
I have been pleasantly surprised.
In 7.5 months we have put over 15,000 miles on the car and coordinate all of our travel around the availability of the prius.
Performance has been amazing, mileage terrific and its fun to drive.
I really wonder why household doesn't have one in their garage.

radio system is great, bluetooth works well, leather seating and of course the hybrid system.

would suggest increasing the quality of plastics in the console as they seem to scratch easily. Would also add some additional sound deadening.

Initial impressions
By lamike1

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback I 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought it to get great gas mileage and that's what it does. After driving on 1 tank, we averaged 45 mpg...yeah, it's not the 48/51 as stated on the EPA but I can definitely live with 45 mpg when gas is creeping to $4/gal. Also, don't let people tell you otherwise, there is plenty of space in this car. No it's not a minivan or an SUV but it's spacious enough for a family of 4. I plan to write a review a year from now on it but initial first impressions are definitely very positive!

The trip button on the steering wheel. Screen on the dash that shows how fuel efficient you are driving. Eco Mode and Power Mode.

None at this time, I'm sure as I drive it long enough i will think of something. Otherwise at this point it seems to do exactly what Toyota designed it for.

2010 Prius IV Low gas mileaage
By clarkins

I purchased my 2010 in october of 2010 and car is ok, but a few design flows, like heated seats under center dash, vision do not extend, no power seats.
I have been tracking the mileage fo car since purchase and only average 40.13 mpg after 17 tanks and 7000 miles. Not happy with that at all.
The only time the cars has seen 50 + mpg is costing down hill for about 30 miles.
dealer said t put premium gas in to increase mpg, if I wante dto put premium gas in a car I have my Lexus for that, not this Prius.
The sticker says nothing about having to use high grade gas to get 50 mpg.
It's a very misleading sticker and advertising from Toyota. Quaility not what is use to be either.

Great sound system, like to keyless entry and start, bluetooth works very well and voice for navigation works well.

Improve quaility and fit and finish of enterior finish, add power seats, move heated seat controls to upper part of dash, add temp display to digital dash and fuel info screen. Add more sound insulation to car to reduce noise. At the price point the car is LED head lights should be standard on all models. Need to improve car to the point it really will get 51 mpg in city adn 8 mpg on highway. Don't be taken in by all these people trying to make you think the car really gets 50+ mpg, it does not!