2010 Toyota Prius I Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Great Car!
By escoandesco on 02/15/11 13:18 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a retired car dealer so having always had access to a car, I left my family scratching their head when I bought my first new one in about 30 years or so. Even crazier was the fact that I was the co-owner of a Honda/Acura Dealership during the 90's. I was attracted to the Prius because of it's 21st century styling and the experiences I had with them while out of town and using one as a rental. I never had to put gas in the darn thing, the needle never seemed to move. That was the real motivator for me ... "cheap to drive".

Prius IV - Great Experience Since August 2010
By grimey2 on 01/23/11 21:42 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reviewed this car's traits as compared to other hybrids presently on the market. In "Power" mode, plenty of pickup is always available. Its like driving a regular Corolla (has the same engine) but I find "Eco" is perfect for every situation. Leather seats are high quality/durable & dash layout is easy to read. Nice XM radio & BT interface for handsfree - works well. Agree with center console squeaks. While worse in cold wx, UNSAT for a Toyota. Have had no issues mechanically/otherwise with regen brakes, lurching, etc. 45-50 Avg city/hwy - love it

A Fine Car
By twoofthem on 01/18/11 08:42 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our 2nd one (other is 2008 base level, 17k miles). Looked seriously at Ford and Honda hybrids (used to own a Civic hybrid). For us, climate change is real, and while it would be best not to drive a car that runs on gasoline, at this point, where we live, it is simply not practical not to. The 2010 is a step up from the 2nd generation Prius in almost every way. Got the V with navi. Handles exceedingly well, due in part to the 17 inch wheels and wide tires. It is comfortable to drive (6'1) and ride in. More than ample power. LOTS of space. Excellent sound system. The look of the car is a bit odd compared to most other cars but its shape should not obscure fact that this is a fine car.

So far very pleased
By sporin71 on 01/03/11 18:16 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We got our Blue Prius III almost a month ago and are very pleased so far. Living in Vermont, we had the car delivered with snow tires on it and between those, and the ever-cold tems, we are averaging just 40mpg so far. But that is to be expected under the conditions. I expect around 50 when temps go up and the LLR tires go back on. With the snow tires, the car has been very good on the snow covered roads and I highly suggest that anyone dealing with regular snow falls run dedicated snow tires on this car. I'm a big guy, 6' tall and 300+ and this car fits very well. Only negative so far is a plethora of squeaks and groans from the hard plastic dash... worse in cold weather.

Awesome Commuter Car
By sporttracz on 12/31/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a new Hyundai Elantra and the Prius, I opted for the Prius. Took a trip that was 200 miles one way and got 53 mpg. Not bad since the weather was below freezing. The car is very comfortable and has good power when you use the power option. The JBL stereo sounds great. No worry's on the maintenance for 2 years which is nice.

Great commuter
By perfectstorm1 on 12/15/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced 230K mile Camry which hardly made 25 MPG and lots of repair cost at the end. It drives high 40's (46 to 49 MPG) in winter weather. Cannot wait for warm weather to test Sunroof/fan feature. It drives fine at highway, and corners very well (not much leaning).

The Perfect Car!
By jhinsc on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius IV over 2 weeks ago and have over 1,700 miles now. Love the MPG! Avg over 50 mpg as I learn the tricks to stay with traffic but get better mileage. Visibility is great with all the windows - no blind spots for me. I wish the driver's seat had power adjustments for better comfort but the lumbar support helps. It's a conversation piece with all my clients who don't mind at all riding with me.

do not buy. drive & quality poor
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I hate it, wife loves it. had the car 2 months and it is covered in dents from acorns (tree above our parking space). this is not just my car, I have looked for and seen this in parking lots on several prius's. drive is not comfortable, poor seats and acceleration makes the gas engine rev wildly but have little effect. interior ceiling feels like recycled cardboard. (feel roof when you test drive). rear view mirror shakes with stereo base. only use is for short runs where you don't go over 30mph. (wife uses it for these) unfortunately I drive 99% on the freeway and the car shakes at 55mph (center console esp.). windshield fogs up quickly at all times.

What a lemon!
By Marianne McNabb on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2010 Prius for over a year and aside from the excellent gas mileage, I would not ever recommend this year model. The 'regenerative' braking system is so unreliable, that driving it over uneven road surfaces, the brakes fail and the car keeps moving. If there were a pedestrian in the cross walk, they would have been hit. Recommend you check out similar complaints on the National Highway Transportation Safety web site. I think the problem is with this year only-it was recalled back in Feb. 2010 but the problem persists. We are trying to get rid of it, but have not found a dealer who would give us a decent trade-in. Toyota has been hard to deal with in this regard.

lil,red
By Chris Krieger on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Performance is great considering the fuel economy average is about 53 mpg over life of the car.The color Barcelona red and exterior design is very beautiful.