Used 2010 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Down the highway
By Golf Man

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased vehicle for travel and good mileage also for hauling items with back seat down. Our first trip to Florida with approx. 4200 miles on it the dash cluster that includes the speedometer gas gauge and the shifter burnt out so we drove the last 500 miles to Jacksonville sort of in the dark. We had the vehicle repaired at a dealer in Jacksonville they had it for 4 days the dealership was very nice. My Question is has anyone else had this problem with their vehicle? Our dealership in Col. Ohio said there wasn't any tech. advisories on this problem that we experienced so I'm just curious if we are alone out there. Thanks

Favorite Features

We love the styling of the car the dash how it is located up by the windshield makes it easier to be alert while driving.The shifter is very convenient I always shift from D to B which eliminates braking a lot down hills. Love the keyless entry and start functions. Very roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry on Prius II model for hatch by using same sensor that is used for locking and unlocking drivers side door. Vinyl and plastic interior seems to scratch easily. More padding on drivers side by console and door. Larger knobs for radio volume. What about fender guards?

Face the Facts
By Edward G

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Why this car? It saves gas. Also, it is HIP and very TRENDY. Why not an Insight? Prius gets a better MPG. Why not a hybrid Civic? The new thing is the hatchback and cost less. Prius still gets better MPG with more storage space. It doesn't matter whether you are a middle or an upper class of society, it is Cool for all. For a smaller family it works just as well as a minivan. It has enough room for two car-seats and storage space for quick trips. Saves GAS, GAS, GAS. When I first started driving I only average mid 40's. After learning, yes you have to learn, the techniques, I now average mid 50's on regular streets (saves even more in downtown areas) and high 40's on highway.

Favorite Features

Cool, hip, and trendy. Decent amount of room and storage space. Power mode lets you accelerate and match everyone else but still allow you to save gas during normal cruising/driving. Smart key is a plus. I like the center display. It can be a conversation piece with friends during driving

Suggested Improvements

Inside plastics looks and feels cheap. Driving position needs some further improvement. Also when I get in or out of the car I almost always kick the inside panels. More blind spots than regular sedan. Rear view wiper is pointless I use the glass beneath the spoiler than the hatchback area.

Livin' the Dream
By Brian B.

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Made the switch from driving a 2006 6-cyl. RAV4 Ltd to my new Prius 3 wks ago. My first hybrid experience has gone pretty well so far. Purchased the technology pkg with my vehicle, but have come to believe that the added features are not worth the extra cost. Took a little while to adjust to digital speedometer location, but I love the futuristic design of the upfront cabin area. Leather seats are comfortable, with height adjustment on driver's seat appreciated. DVD nav system has led me astray occasionally. Ride with 17" tires is reasonable, but you'll get jostled inside on rougher roads. Interior noise can become extensive depending on the road surface. Audio system is avg, at best.

Favorite Features

great gas mileage; bluetooth (though you are limited to using one device at a time); hatch storage area; ability to run on EV at lower speeds

Suggested Improvements

Remote release for rear hatch - either on key fob or inside vehicle; automatic headlights setting option; better audio system for the price; $200+ cost of updated DVD for nav system when time arrives

My first hybrid
By Tom H

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I decided to down size from our 07 Odyssey. We have 2 small children and arent planning on any more. She is a stay at home mom so that means she drives around a lot evidently. We were not happy with the 18 mpg average of the honda, so we decided to try a hybrid. We love it. It is surprisingly roomy for a small car. It is also quite comfortable. We bought head rest mounted tvs for the boys, and they love the car too. We have been averaging 43 mpg this winter, but expect that to improve this summer. We currently have just over 4K miles. I did the first oil change, that is challenging to say the least, but the oil came out clean and clear at 4K miles. Great car. bargain at $23,000

Favorite Features

fuel economy, room, and comfort

Suggested Improvements

make the oil changes a little more DIY friendly. The plastic panels under the engine are challenging to remove and replace

Knock One Outta The Park
By nha4233b

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had car for 1 month. Love it. I drive 40,000 miles per year commuting and needed a car that would save me on gas. Seat is comfortable for me (5'8"). Rear view is nice. Can haul when you need to merge on highways. Amazing how much room is in the inside of the car!!! Rear seat space is good.

Favorite Features

mileage, interior space, reliability, power, hatchback storage space, view observation, ride comfort

Suggested Improvements

none so far