2010 Prius IV Low gas mileaage
By clarkins on
2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I purchased my 2010 in october of 2010 and car is ok, but a few design flows, like heated seats under center dash, vision do not extend, no power seats. I have been tracking the mileage fo car since purchase and only average 40.13 mpg after 17 tanks and 7000 miles. Not happy with that at all. The only time the cars has seen 50 + mpg is costing down hill for about 30 miles. dealer said t put premium gas in to increase mpg, if I wante dto put premium gas in a car I have my Lexus for that, not this Prius. The sticker says nothing about having to use high grade gas to get 50 mpg. It's a very misleading sticker and advertising from Toyota. Quaility not what is use to be either.
Favorite Features
Great sound system, like to keyless entry and start, bluetooth works very well and voice for navigation works well.
Suggested Improvements
Improve quaility and fit and finish of enterior finish, add power seats, move heated seat controls to upper part of dash, add temp display to digital dash and fuel info screen. Add more sound insulation to car to reduce noise. At the price point the car is LED head lights should be standard on all models. Need to improve car to the point it really will get 51 mpg in city adn 8 mpg on highway. Don't be taken in by all these people trying to make you think the car really gets 50+ mpg, it does not!
By luvmypriusii
on 02/01/12 10:27 AM (PST)

The reason for no power seats is to save weight. There is, however, power lumbar support. My only complaint about my Prius is that the seats suck!! They are too wide and flat...made for "bigger" people. I wish Toyota would look at Honda's seats, since they have the most supportive, sporty seats. The heated seats are the WORST when it comes to gas mileage. They suck up so much of the hybrid battery's energy. Do you live in a colder climate? ALL hybrids do bad when it's cold because running the heater all the time keeps the engine going non-stop!! The best thing to do is when you are warming the car up, run the heater at high until it is warm enough, then just adjust the temperature to about 72-74..that should make the engine stop more and improve your MPG. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. and I average 48-52 MPG. I also had to change my driving habits, learn to use the hybrid system indicator for improving my MPG, learning the best way to use the regenerative brakes AND, most importantly, learn how to use the hybrid's battery to drive the electric motor with the engine OFF. Accelerate to speed, lets say 40 MPH, take your foot off the accelerator, then gently depress the accelerator, being careful NOT to cross that middle line on the hybrid system indicator screen.

By luvmypriusii
on 02/01/12 10:28 AM (PST)

If you need me to help explain this to you more, please e-mail me at LuvMyPriusHybrid@yahoo.com. I guarantee your MPG will go up at least 5-10 MPG! If not more.

By billnipp
on 04/07/12 07:52 AM (PDT)

this may help. lots of gas saving techniques. I get between 57 and 59 mpgs. http://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving-tips/maximizing-mileage-toyota-prius.html

By priusenvy1
on 04/02/12 22:25 PM (PDT)

In regard to your mpg problem, You just don't know how to drive it. I have 265,000 miles on my Prius Touring 2007 and I average 45 mpg. My brother was averaging 50 mpg in his 2008. He now has 2010 Prius and in averaging 53 mpg and he drives over 1,000 miles per week. Lighten up on gas pedal and use your engine breaks coming up on stops. I do this and have never had to replace breaks in 260,000 miles. These cars are awesome!!! Weather temp will effect mpg, I get less when it dips into 40's, and when it's above 90 here in Texas.