2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Pleasant experience
By britjunkie on 07/24/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm quite surprised by the performance of the car. No trouble keeping up and passing on steep mountain interstate. Mileage after a whopping 160 miles is 52.4! A/C is colder and better than my old V8 [2007]. I had rented a series II last year and found the dead spot in the steering unacceptable. This steering still has a little dead spot but I'm sure I'll either forget about it or just accept it. Typical Toyota quality. My wife hates little cars but is very impressed with this one, says she won't mind driving this around town.

A commuter's Dream
By Tonester on 07/24/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving a Prius is a new driving experience. It does take some getting used to. But no doubt that it is fairly solid and best of all very economical to maintain. I drive 90 miles a day which half are stop and go. The car delivers as promised 40 to 55 mpg. It takes some discipline to maximize the electrical power offered by the vehicle. But overall, I am happy with the vehicle.

Great Car!
By bpetz5 on 07/22/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven the car for about 550 miles. The first tank I filled up with I got 54.5 miles to the gallon! The display says that I am getting close to 57 mpg on this tank full. It is sort of a game to see how good gas mileage you can get, by coasting to stop lights and accelerating a little less from stops. Have had a lot of compliments on the car. Styling is improved from past model. I got the blizzard pearl paint job, and it looks awesome in the sunlight, also easier to keep clean than some other color choices. I chose the II model, because I didn't need the 6 CD player or the bluetooth for an additional $1,000.

Design Problem/Opportunity to Improve
By OLCB on 07/22/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius I 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The smartkey is nice. But twice I thought I turned off the engine when I left the car, the car was running without the smartkey in the proximity. It ended up running the car for more than 10 hours in the parking lot. Toyota should have a function to detect if the smartkey is inside the car at idle, otherwise, the car should be shut down within 10-15 minutes.

Mr. Bill and his 2010 Prius
By Mr. Bill on 07/21/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle 'rocks' - beyond my expectations, beyond my MPG beliefs - Toyota got it right. I am a hybrid convert - 53 Mile per Gal. and it's fun to drive. 50 plus MPG and no only even comes close - thank you Toyota for your innovations, vision and products that are simply the 'world's best in class' outstanding job by all. Thank you.

Great gas mileage, that's about it.
By BillD on 07/21/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned this 2010 Prius IV for 1500 miles. I've been getting 55-60mpg mixed city and highway. That's about the nicest thing you can say about this car. For the $29k I paid, I expected a LOT more. A mazda3 or a civic and a big gas bill would have been a much better value. The brakes are ridiculous. If you go over a pothole, you're going to lose all braking power for about 3 seconds. For a car with traction control and electronic brake distribution this is simply unacceptable. In power mode the car drives well and has some spunk. Normal and Eco modes are just nanny modes that deaden the accelerator. Thanks, but I know how to drive and like to accelerate without having to floor it.

Try it you'll LOVE it
By DTMhazaPrius on 07/20/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been a Pick-up man for 20 years. When my mechanic told me the cost of repair was more then the value of the truck we went directly to Toyta for a Prius. I am a big guy so I was looking for plenty of room (has plenty for my family of 4), a good stereo (the JBL rocks) and 50mpg (it has exceeded the advertised number for the first two tanks!!).

This is a great car!!
By TJ. California on 07/19/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought a IV with Solar roof 5 days ago. Going from a Lexus ES, I considered between a Lexus IS 250 and Prius. The decision was really hard. I admitted the first day driving home from the dealer was really regretted for getting the Prius, but the more I drive it, the more I like it, now I can't wait to drive it again. It has more power than I expected, smooth drive, very cool features, apprx 220 miles now and average MPG is 40+ but I have been using a/c all the time. I got white (very hard to find) & the solar roof makes it looks really nice w/ white; I strongly recommend this veh.

Great Gas Mileage
By sprugg828 on 07/18/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been 6 weeks now and boy does it get great in-town MPG. If the MPG gauge on the car can be trusted, I get 55-57 MPG in-town (max speed ~50mph). I took a long trip and got 43mpg @ 75mph, 45mpg @ 70mph so EPA ratings for hwy driving must be at 60mph. The 8hr trip was fairly comfortable. AC didn't affect gas mileage much. The base model seats could be more comfortable, but they could also be a lot worse. The front seat headrests are rather uncomfortable, they point forward causing your head to bend forward when leaning back in the seat, an uncomfortable position. Cruise did a god job on hills and still got good MPG. ECOMode is a bit "Big Brother"ish depicting every driving style good or bad.

So far so good
By Complex on 07/18/09 03:54 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced 2006 Honda Ridgeline (great truck while it lasted), this is a big change to get used to. I considered the Camry (didnít want to wait for the 2010s), and the Ford Fusion (did not have fold down seats). The Prius is a technology wonder. My complaints are minor because I may be spoiled or want perfection but other features are superb. So far, I'm loving it. The mileage is the best part. The first time I filled up, I thought the gauge was broken as it took so little fuel.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius in VA is:

$112 per month*