2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Initial impressions
By lamike1 on 04/06/11 14:05 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius I 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought it to get great gas mileage and that's what it does. After driving on 1 tank, we averaged 45 mpg...yeah, it's not the 48/51 as stated on the EPA but I can definitely live with 45 mpg when gas is creeping to $4/gal. Also, don't let people tell you otherwise, there is plenty of space in this car. No it's not a minivan or an SUV but it's spacious enough for a family of 4. I plan to write a review a year from now on it but initial first impressions are definitely very positive!

2010 Prius IV Low gas mileaage
By clarkins on 03/16/11 03:43 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2010 in october of 2010 and car is ok, but a few design flows, like heated seats under center dash, vision do not extend, no power seats. I have been tracking the mileage fo car since purchase and only average 40.13 mpg after 17 tanks and 7000 miles. Not happy with that at all. The only time the cars has seen 50 + mpg is costing down hill for about 30 miles. dealer said t put premium gas in to increase mpg, if I wante dto put premium gas in a car I have my Lexus for that, not this Prius. The sticker says nothing about having to use high grade gas to get 50 mpg. It's a very misleading sticker and advertising from Toyota. Quaility not what is use to be either.

Civic Hybrid vs. Prius
By civictoprius on 02/26/11 15:20 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid after putting over 150,000 miles on it and have been driving Honda's for 20 years, I purchased a 2010 Prius II. The new versions of the Hybrid Civic can not come close in MPG. After having the Prius for months and 7000 miles I can report the Prius rides better, is more powerful (in regular and PWR mode) more stable on the road, quiter, and is more roomy. with at least 50 MPG commuting and carpooling over 130 miles per day. The late versions of this model only goes to 9 mph in EV mode and not 25 mph as advertised.

One year in.
By lvboardwalk on 02/21/11 04:53 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our Prius on the last work day sat. feb 27, 2010 and got a great deal. It was quota time and with all the recall news on Prius we ended up saving $4,200. We also found a Toyota dealer on line to get and extended factory warranty for $820. as opposed to the dealers $1399. After some 7,000 miles we were amazed to get some 53mpg warm weather and around 47 in the Ohio cold. Very pleased with the mialage. We have never driven in anything but ECO gear. We will replace our 2004 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix) with a new Prius once we see what the new ones have to offer. The Vibe has been excellent but is now obsolete. My daughter will take it over.

Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa on 02/16/11 10:05 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was "hooked" with my first test-drive. I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance. So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered. I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one. I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it. My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing. I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.

Great Car!
By escoandesco on 02/15/11 13:18 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a retired car dealer so having always had access to a car, I left my family scratching their head when I bought my first new one in about 30 years or so. Even crazier was the fact that I was the co-owner of a Honda/Acura Dealership during the 90's. I was attracted to the Prius because of it's 21st century styling and the experiences I had with them while out of town and using one as a rental. I never had to put gas in the darn thing, the needle never seemed to move. That was the real motivator for me ... "cheap to drive".

Prius IV - Great Experience Since August 2010
By grimey2 on 01/23/11 21:42 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I reviewed this car's traits as compared to other hybrids presently on the market. In "Power" mode, plenty of pickup is always available. Its like driving a regular Corolla (has the same engine) but I find "Eco" is perfect for every situation. Leather seats are high quality/durable & dash layout is easy to read. Nice XM radio & BT interface for handsfree - works well. Agree with center console squeaks. While worse in cold wx, UNSAT for a Toyota. Have had no issues mechanically/otherwise with regen brakes, lurching, etc. 45-50 Avg city/hwy - love it

A Fine Car
By twoofthem on 01/18/11 08:42 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our 2nd one (other is 2008 base level, 17k miles). Looked seriously at Ford and Honda hybrids (used to own a Civic hybrid). For us, climate change is real, and while it would be best not to drive a car that runs on gasoline, at this point, where we live, it is simply not practical not to. The 2010 is a step up from the 2nd generation Prius in almost every way. Got the V with navi. Handles exceedingly well, due in part to the 17 inch wheels and wide tires. It is comfortable to drive (6'1) and ride in. More than ample power. LOTS of space. Excellent sound system. The look of the car is a bit odd compared to most other cars but its shape should not obscure fact that this is a fine car.

So far very pleased
By sporin71 on 01/03/11 18:16 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We got our Blue Prius III almost a month ago and are very pleased so far. Living in Vermont, we had the car delivered with snow tires on it and between those, and the ever-cold tems, we are averaging just 40mpg so far. But that is to be expected under the conditions. I expect around 50 when temps go up and the LLR tires go back on. With the snow tires, the car has been very good on the snow covered roads and I highly suggest that anyone dealing with regular snow falls run dedicated snow tires on this car. I'm a big guy, 6' tall and 300+ and this car fits very well. Only negative so far is a plethora of squeaks and groans from the hard plastic dash... worse in cold weather.

Awesome Commuter Car
By sporttracz on 12/31/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a new Hyundai Elantra and the Prius, I opted for the Prius. Took a trip that was 200 miles one way and got 53 mpg. Not bad since the weather was below freezing. The car is very comfortable and has good power when you use the power option. The JBL stereo sounds great. No worry's on the maintenance for 2 years which is nice.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius in VA is:

$112 per month*