Used 2010 Toyota Prius V Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Mostly Hate After 5 Years and 87,000 Miles
By NoMorePrius

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Gasoline is an expense for all of us - everyone that drives - essentially a tax on life. I bought my 2010 Prius to absolutely minimize the cost of gasoline on my life, and because, at the time, I really liked the redesigned appearance. I made it a Prius V/5/five for a couple reasons: it has the sportiest appearance with the 17" rims, had all the bells and whistles (NAV, backup cam, Xenon), and I didn't want the solar roof that only comes on the IV. Those were the appeals. I wanted it badly enough that I paid too much to the tune of $31,500 fully loaded. I racked up 32,000 miles the first year expressway driving. The gas savings were great. Unrivaled by any other car. But the expressway isn't where this car shines. It's in the city - stop and go - where the motor can kick in while coasting. After the first year, weaknesses became apparent. The car, originally solid and quiet, is poorly built. Of course. Everything is plastic. Squeaks and rattles abound from just about everywhere. The dash board. The door panels. The floor. The ride is mushy. Steering and control is vague. Recognize that this car is no frills, no nonsense focused on one thing: efficiency. They spared all expenses in the refinement department. While the car being a tin can is a superficial thing, I have some more serious complaints too. My MPGs never met the listed. Not even close. I averaged 42 in winter and 44 in summer mixed driving. Mine burned oil too. I was adding a quart every 1,000 miles or so by the time I traded it in. Obviously not the eco-friendly vehicle the Prius should be. The car was horrible in snow. Snow tires are a must, unless you stay home from work. I agree with the guy who said in his review, "Life is too short to drive a Prius." That was my sentiment the day I test drove its replacement and realized the driving experience I was missing for five years.

Deerly safe!
By Frank

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

V model has low profile tires. It rides more harshly, but handles better than the lower models. I've been very happy except for having to replace both electronic keys totaling over $500. I hit a deer at 65 mph on the interstate and the slanted front acted like a ramp tossing the deer up and over, minimizing damage to the car.

Very pleased with my Prius V
By peter_peter

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, I am very pleased. Looked for months at many different cars (sedans) from BMW's to Acuras to MBZ but the Toyota Prius always stood on my list of options. Averaging between 48-51 mpg, half street and freeways. Perfect commuter car, I fill up my gas tank and spend almost half as compared to my wife's Civic. Nothing wrong with the Civic, but this Toyota has everything. Fully loaded with everything from navi, Bluetooth, leather, cold AC, 17 inch wheels, key-less go and the list goes on. The car does turn on and off when the engine is not needed,nothing major but not something I expected, no big deal. Highly recommend this car to someone who wants something different and gets great mpg.

Got to love the HIGH MPG'S, let's start there. Took it from LA to Vegas to Utah and back with 2 adults with luggage using the AC and got about 45 MPG. On my daily commute I am back to par at 49 MPG and growing. Love the handsfree phone system, links my contacts to the screen, rides pretty smooth and quite. Another great feature I'd say would be the display that shows you how your foot is applying the accelerator, it allows you to see where you can achieve the best mpg's.

I'd say an area of improvement would be the acceleration. Currently, if I need a little extra juice I have to hit the power button and it responds nicely. But other than that no complaints.

2010 Prius Touring
By sg3msmith

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Own a 2010 Prius Touring. Still own a 2004 Prius. This third gen car is a great step up. The driving position is much more comfortable than previous generation. Quieter cabin ride. Engine develops more HP and you can tell the difference. Like the positioning of the controls (much easier to see everything).
Very nice car. Glad to have my 2nd Prius.

Leather interior is a dream and all the options the Touring model has are a nice plus. Navigation and backup camera are very nice additions.

Used V with Advanced Tech
By euphony010

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this as a used one owner with 42k miles. A little under a year later and I'm at 63k miles, averaging 43.1MPG. The 17" wheels likely account for the low average, but I'm happy since it has been on a few packed road trips.

If you're considering the Advanced Tech package, I think it's a no-brainer if you are commuting on the interstate. The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control makes my daily commutes much less irritating (it can slow the car down to 25mph if necessary). Pair that with the Lane Keep Assist and the system can make a good attempt at steering the car while at speed. I use both daily. The Pre-Collision System has activated twice, and the seat belt tensioning happened once.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control Lane Keep Assist Pre-Collision System Easy to use Navigation Bluetooth is excellent