2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Leased it, loved it, bought it
By icehorses on 09/28/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I leased my Prius and at the end of the three years opted to buy it. No problems whatsoever, just change the oil, rotate the tires, and you're good to go. I average between 52-55 MPG (combined city/highway), it sips gas. When I first leased it I read up on how to drive a Prius to get the most effective gas mileage, coasting and avoiding rapid acceleration definitely helps to optimize your fuel economy. I'm tall and I find it to be a very comfortable vehicle with plenty of headroom and pleasant interior. If you need to have a lot of power and acceleration at your fingertips, this isn't the vehicle for you. If you appreciate a quiet ride and phenomenal gas mileage, then it just might be!

SO GLAD I GOT THIS CAR!
By b14 on 04/07/12 16:02 PM (PDT)

I had a toyota corrola almost 20 years ago when I was getting out of college, and drove it til almost 170k miles. After that I wanted luxury and performance. I flopped back and forth between VW's and Honda Accords, and after having lots of expenses with both (I think my hondas were defective), saw an ad for a Prius lease for 179/mo. I never thought I'd drive off the lot, just wanted to "see". After checking it out and driving it, then calculating the incentive deals and gas savings, I realized I could afford this car no problem. The cost to own is so low. Change the oil every 10k miles thats it. Drove to NYC from Boston and back for $30! Unbelievable. Attractive-Fun to drive: Will be buying!

surprised
By mcruzen on 07/16/11 12:10 PM (PDT)

I am an official car nut, bought a new prius 4 in December of 2010 to commute 20 miles to work. Thought I have to sacrifice fun and comfort for the fuel economy. I have been pleasantly surprised. In 7.5 months we have put over 15,000 miles on the car and coordinate all of our travel around the availability of the prius. Performance has been amazing, mileage terrific and its fun to drive. I really wonder why household doesn't have one in their garage.

2010 Prius IV Low gas mileaage
By clarkins on 03/16/11 03:43 AM (PDT)

I purchased my 2010 in october of 2010 and car is ok, but a few design flows, like heated seats under center dash, vision do not extend, no power seats. I have been tracking the mileage fo car since purchase and only average 40.13 mpg after 17 tanks and 7000 miles. Not happy with that at all. The only time the cars has seen 50 + mpg is costing down hill for about 30 miles. dealer said t put premium gas in to increase mpg, if I wante dto put premium gas in a car I have my Lexus for that, not this Prius. The sticker says nothing about having to use high grade gas to get 50 mpg. It's a very misleading sticker and advertising from Toyota. Quaility not what is use to be either.

Prius IV - Great Experience Since August 2010
By grimey2 on 01/23/11 21:42 PM (PST)

I reviewed this car's traits as compared to other hybrids presently on the market. In "Power" mode, plenty of pickup is always available. Its like driving a regular Corolla (has the same engine) but I find "Eco" is perfect for every situation. Leather seats are high quality/durable & dash layout is easy to read. Nice XM radio & BT interface for handsfree - works well. Agree with center console squeaks. While worse in cold wx, UNSAT for a Toyota. Have had no issues mechanically/otherwise with regen brakes, lurching, etc. 45-50 Avg city/hwy - love it

The Perfect Car!
By jhinsc on 12/07/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I bought my Prius IV over 2 weeks ago and have over 1,700 miles now. Love the MPG! Avg over 50 mpg as I learn the tricks to stay with traffic but get better mileage. Visibility is great with all the windows - no blind spots for me. I wish the driver's seat had power adjustments for better comfort but the lumbar support helps. It's a conversation piece with all my clients who don't mind at all riding with me.

lil,red
By Chris Krieger on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Performance is great considering the fuel economy average is about 53 mpg over life of the car.The color Barcelona red and exterior design is very beautiful.

Poor Build Quality
By Dissappointed on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have had my 2010 Prius IV for 11 months and 11,000 miles. The interior rattles are so annoying and constant that the whole driving experience is spoiled. In addition, parts have started to come loose under the glove compartment and hang down under the dash.

My Favorite
By Lynne on 08/28/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

Love this car! Traded in my Sienna AWD Van- 16 MPG- argh. Love the gas mileage so far! Tired of running to the gas station and shoveling out over $60 each time. Looking forward to less visits there.

Not Getting Acclaimed Mileage IV
By bev on 08/28/10 11:52 AM (PDT)

Interior is roomy. Quality of leather installation is poor though tolerable. Friends are surprised how much power it has. However, have to buy extra component for true ipod integration $320. Cannot control Ipod/phone via radio/bluetooth without it. Mileage is not good: 38 city so far. I drive pretty cautiously, and yes I pulse,not impressed with this mileage. Any ideas would be appreciated. Will drive for about 3 yr and then upgrade to hopefully some better fuel economy hybrid model from somewhere else.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$112 per month*