Used 2010 Toyota Prius IV Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Why won't Toyota listen?
By James Lawson

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2010 Prius with over 100,000 miles on it. In general, I love the car - no serious complaints. However, I had two minor complaints which I relayed to Toyota in 2010. Neither has been rectified1. The Sirius-XM radio displays 16 characters of the title and artist. There is room for 40 characters. Why won't they expand this? 2. When a truck goes backwards, it beeps outside to warn anybody in the driver's blind spit to be careful. When you put a Toyita in reverse, it beeps on the inside trolling the driver Thant Toyita thinks he's too stupid to realize he's in reverse. This is both annoying and insulting.

Favorite Features

Great mileage and 400-500 miles on a tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

See review.

Leased it, loved it, bought it
By icehorses

I leased my Prius and at the end of the three years opted to buy it. No problems whatsoever, just change the oil, rotate the tires, and you're good to go. I average between 52-55 MPG (combined city/highway), it sips gas. When I first leased it I read up on how to drive a Prius to get the most effective gas mileage, coasting and avoiding rapid acceleration definitely helps to optimize your fuel economy. I'm tall and I find it to be a very comfortable vehicle with plenty of headroom and pleasant interior. If you need to have a lot of power and acceleration at your fingertips, this isn't the vehicle for you. If you appreciate a quiet ride and phenomenal gas mileage, then it just might be!

Favorite Features

Exceptional fuel economy, spacious interior, good visibility

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system isn't great, seems to go through tires faster

SO GLAD I GOT THIS CAR!
By b14

I had a toyota corrola almost 20 years ago when I was getting out of college, and drove it til almost 170k miles. After that I wanted luxury and performance. I flopped back and forth between VW's and Honda Accords, and after having lots of expenses with both (I think my hondas were defective), saw an ad for a Prius lease for 179/mo. I never thought I'd drive off the lot, just wanted to "see". After checking it out and driving it, then calculating the incentive deals and gas savings, I realized I could afford this car no problem. The cost to own is so low. Change the oil every 10k miles thats it. Drove to NYC from Boston and back for $30! Unbelievable. Attractive-Fun to drive: Will be buying!

Favorite Features

Love the hatch, can carry just about anything. love the Navi and back-up cam. Love the heated seats and radio. Love the bluetooth. Love the mileage - approx 45/gal overall. (mostly city) Love the blizzard white.

Suggested Improvements

Too low to the ground! Tough in New England snow. Leather is a little on the cheap side. Need black leather as an option. I would have gotten the Solar roof but does not seem very powerful. Just powers AC for 30 sec?? Not worth it.

surprised
By mcruzen

I am an official car nut, bought a new prius 4 in December of 2010 to commute 20 miles to work. Thought I have to sacrifice fun and comfort for the fuel economy. I have been pleasantly surprised. In 7.5 months we have put over 15,000 miles on the car and coordinate all of our travel around the availability of the prius. Performance has been amazing, mileage terrific and its fun to drive. I really wonder why household doesn't have one in their garage.

Favorite Features

radio system is great, bluetooth works well, leather seating and of course the hybrid system.

Suggested Improvements

would suggest increasing the quality of plastics in the console as they seem to scratch easily. Would also add some additional sound deadening.

2010 Prius IV Low gas mileaage
By clarkins

I purchased my 2010 in october of 2010 and car is ok, but a few design flows, like heated seats under center dash, vision do not extend, no power seats. I have been tracking the mileage fo car since purchase and only average 40.13 mpg after 17 tanks and 7000 miles. Not happy with that at all. The only time the cars has seen 50 + mpg is costing down hill for about 30 miles. dealer said t put premium gas in to increase mpg, if I wante dto put premium gas in a car I have my Lexus for that, not this Prius. The sticker says nothing about having to use high grade gas to get 50 mpg. It's a very misleading sticker and advertising from Toyota. Quaility not what is use to be either.

Favorite Features

Great sound system, like to keyless entry and start, bluetooth works very well and voice for navigation works well.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quaility and fit and finish of enterior finish, add power seats, move heated seat controls to upper part of dash, add temp display to digital dash and fuel info screen. Add more sound insulation to car to reduce noise. At the price point the car is LED head lights should be standard on all models. Need to improve car to the point it really will get 51 mpg in city adn 8 mpg on highway. Don't be taken in by all these people trying to make you think the car really gets 50+ mpg, it does not!