2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Loved it at first, now I absolutely hate this car.
By rex81 on 11/27/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a great car to get from A to B. But it has so many faults, mostly in the way it drives, that I had to get rid of it after 30,000 miles. For efficiency of fuel and space, it's unmatched. It's roomy and gets great mileage. But... The auto on/off of the engine is choppy, the brake feel is eneven, rock hard seats, the steering is numb, the ride is harsh, there are a ton of rattles throughout the car, and the car feels like it weighs twice what it does. Just a terrible driving experience. I was getting about 39 mpg consistently. No reliability issues whatsoever. But in the end, life is too short to drive a car like this. That's why I got rid of it.

Excellent car
By hbedmunds on 10/30/11 10:05 AM (PDT)

I was surprised at some of the reviews indicating care was uncomfortable etc. I have never written a car review before, but the 2010 Pirus is such an excellent car, that it deserves a review. I now have 29,000 miles. I track the mileage on most fill-ups, and my average is 48.7mpg over more than 27,000 miles check. Mileage is best in rush hour traffic, worst for short trips of 3 miles or less and when driveing higher than 65 mph. I find the car fun to drive around town and VERY comfortable on long trips, much more so for my back than previous 1990 Maxima and 2001 Avalon. We originally assumed that we would only use it in town, but now use it as exclusive choice for long trips. No issues

Improve the visibility
By hybridguy3 on 08/22/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

I owned my 2010 Prius for just under a year and learned to hate it for the following reasons: Bad bad brakes, hit a bump and lose them for a split second, not dangerous but disconcerting. Visibility to the rear and sides is awful, especially in the winter; the bottom half of the split rear window is impossible to keep clean. My wife, who is 5'2", refused to drive it because of poor visibility. The dash squeaked in cold weather. Dashboard readouts difficult to read with polarized sunglasses. The handling is not quick and the seats, while okay for a short drive are murder on a long one. Bought a Civic Hybrid because it doesn't have any of the problems listed above.

Civic Hybrid vs. Prius
By civictoprius on 02/26/11 15:20 PM (PST)

Having traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid after putting over 150,000 miles on it and have been driving Honda's for 20 years, I purchased a 2010 Prius II. The new versions of the Hybrid Civic can not come close in MPG. After having the Prius for months and 7000 miles I can report the Prius rides better, is more powerful (in regular and PWR mode) more stable on the road, quiter, and is more roomy. with at least 50 MPG commuting and carpooling over 130 miles per day. The late versions of this model only goes to 9 mph in EV mode and not 25 mph as advertised.

Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa on 02/16/11 10:05 AM (PST)

I was "hooked" with my first test-drive. I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance. So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered. I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one. I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it. My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing. I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.

A formidable achievement.
By James on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

My 2010 Prius II is the finest overall car I have ever owned and I have been driving my own cars for forty years. It has the unique ability to transport four people in comfort and do so with an overall average of 50 mpg. I am impressed with the technology and am convinced Toyota loses money on the base car. It combines excellent driving characteristics (it's no sports sedan, however) with an engaging dash and controls. I enjoy driving this car. Gripes? The tires need more compliance as they now transmit too much road noise and harshness into the cabin. Also the radio/entertainment system combo is weak. I am not convinced spending more on factory pieces would be worthwhile. The after-market s

Amazing
By Trekker on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought the 2010 Prius on 09/2009 and it has over 20,000 miles on it. This car not only gets great gas mileage, but has plenty of power on the highway. Our highways have a 75 MPH speed limit and I'm always doing the speed limit. We have a variety of elevations and can drop or climb 3000 feet within 100 miles. The Prius handles these conditions with a whimper and never wavers from the speed set on the cruise control. Ride is smooth quiet and comfortable. One problem I've noticed is the Prius is not great in snow or mud, we don't get to much of either, but it was a problem. Get some good quality mud and snows. Another problem is that it is very low, so dirt roads would be a problem.

I love my Prius!
By luvmyPriusII on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have owned Honda's all my life. the two recent being a 2003 Honda Civic and a 2008 Honda Fit. they were both excellent cars, fun to drive, amazing reliability, and good fuel economy. except the Fit Sport which i was averaging around 25mpg!! and in the three years i owned the Fit, the body panels had gaps that seemed to get bigger which i never experienced before. so since i have been dreaming about the new 2010 Prius even before it came out, i decided to upgrade and upgrade i have!! the Prius II is a luxury car compared to the Fit. it rides smooth, the exterior is beautiful, the interior is amazing with all it's graphics and info. the quality materials are top notch. don't wait. buy one!!

Great overall
By Terrano on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

We got this Prius in 12/09. It really is cool how much features you get even on the base model. Yes, it does really get 50 MPG, driving normally. It rides comfortably, decently quiet, and seats are just right. Rear seats are very roomy- pleasant surprise. One quibble about it though, is that the interior rattles. I've looked it up further, and apparently it is an early build problem- apparently solved on more recently built cars. Don't know why they can't get something like that right the first time. Otherwise, the car is great, no problems whatsoever! Traded our 08 Sonata for it, the Hyundai had many minor problems that made it just irritating to own. It didn't rattle though!

LOVE My Prius!
By Gigi on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Been a Honda driver since the 80's and decided I wanted something different. The lease rate was so great on the Prius that I just couldn't pass on it. It's so quiet that you can't hear it running, it looks so high tech and the gas mileage is fantastic. I'm averaging 50 MPG and you just can't beat that! Keyless entry is also a great feature. I hate digging for my keys. Now I just leave them in my purse. I have plenty of room for my 6'2" husband and my two dogs. Love the hatch back styling. I use it like a wagon, always hauling stuff. I'm spoiled! I can never go back to a non-hybrid car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$112 per month*