2010 Toyota Prius II Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2010 Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Sort Reviews by

one month into ownership of a prius
By mark4jesus

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am very impress on the used 2010 prius and with only 77,900 miles and i love it and like the way how it drives. it is very quiet and roomy an seems like i am driving a new car. It does not seems like it has that many miles on the car. It is totally amazing car to drive. i have this car going about a month now. I have read from other reviews from consumer and people really dislike the hard plastic and i really does not brother me anything. I am coming away from driving a 2003 buick century to a 2010 Prius and boy what a big difference. I love driving this car and It suppose to be everyday car and it is meant to drive. I am now into my 4th week and i am now getting up 55 mpg

Favorite Features

I love the way it handles and drive and the Prius really teaching you how to drive all over again and being a more defense driver and i really do not care if people around want to pass and burn gas because i am really on a tight budget and i love the way it handles and the gas saving is totally amazing!

Suggested Improvements

so far i really do not have any suggestion on improvements. when I first got it i really did not notice the driver side head light burn out and took it back and replace it at no charge. Other than that i really have no other suggested.

Great car, not very owner-servicable
By kscommuter1

My 2010 Prius went 150,000 miles with NO unscheduled maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations and replacements, filters, tune ups... that's it. And, of course there is that gas mileage (I get 46-47 in mostly highway driving). Sadly, this car is not very user-serviceable. Instructions, unbelievably, call for removal of the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs. I ignored this and simply reached around behind them to unscrew... now I have pulled a wire loose. Plastic panels have to come off to access the oil drain plug. The windshield wipers and their motor have to come out to access the spark plugs-- seriously! Such thoughtless design is so very un-Japanese.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

What happened to those thoughtful little touches Japanese cars used to have? Pulling the wiper motor to replace spark plugs? $300 headlight replacements? Plastic sheeting blocking access to the oil drain plug? ALL could have been prevented so easily with minor, thoughtful design tweaks. It's almost like a conspiracy to enrich the car dealers' service departments, the ease-of-service oversights are so blatant and glaring. Get it together, Toyota! Otherwise this is a fine car.

Loved it at first, now I absolutely hate this car.
By rex81

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a great car to get from A to B. But it has so many faults, mostly in the way it drives, that I had to get rid of it after 30,000 miles. For efficiency of fuel and space, it's unmatched. It's roomy and gets great mileage. But... The auto on/off of the engine is choppy, the brake feel is eneven, rock hard seats, the steering is numb, the ride is harsh, there are a ton of rattles throughout the car, and the car feels like it weighs twice what it does. Just a terrible driving experience. I was getting about 39 mpg consistently. No reliability issues whatsoever. But in the end, life is too short to drive a car like this. That's why I got rid of it.

Favorite Features

Good, not great gas mileage. Excellent interior space. Adults fit comfortably in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats, better drivability, softer ride, tighten up the rattles.

Excellent car
By hbedmunds

I was surprised at some of the reviews indicating care was uncomfortable etc. I have never written a car review before, but the 2010 Pirus is such an excellent car, that it deserves a review. I now have 29,000 miles. I track the mileage on most fill-ups, and my average is 48.7mpg over more than 27,000 miles check. Mileage is best in rush hour traffic, worst for short trips of 3 miles or less and when driveing higher than 65 mph. I find the car fun to drive around town and VERY comfortable on long trips, much more so for my back than previous 1990 Maxima and 2001 Avalon. We originally assumed that we would only use it in town, but now use it as exclusive choice for long trips. No issues

Favorite Features

High gas mileage, handling, overall quality, no rattles. Note: you can adjust settings at dealer to turn off the back-up beeping, and to unlock all doors when touching driver handle.

Suggested Improvements

Radio reception: By far largest complaint is that the FM reception is poor in base radio in the "II" version. Dealer said it was normal. If making choice again, I would have paid the extra $1K for better sound system and bluetooth, even though I do not listen to radio extensively. Reduce road noise at highway speeds (minor concern. is less noisy than cheap cars, and is quiet at low speeds). Would prefer tweaking design to have 5 star crash rating all around.

Improve the visibility
By hybridguy3

I owned my 2010 Prius for just under a year and learned to hate it for the following reasons: Bad bad brakes, hit a bump and lose them for a split second, not dangerous but disconcerting. Visibility to the rear and sides is awful, especially in the winter; the bottom half of the split rear window is impossible to keep clean. My wife, who is 5'2", refused to drive it because of poor visibility. The dash squeaked in cold weather. Dashboard readouts difficult to read with polarized sunglasses. The handling is not quick and the seats, while okay for a short drive are murder on a long one. Bought a Civic Hybrid because it doesn't have any of the problems listed above.

Favorite Features

I really liked the joystick gear shifter. It is very well positioned. Interior room is good. It is a little quieter than the Civic, but frankley both cars are noisy. The Prius gets better gas mileage than the Civic Hybrid, but only by a few miles per gallon, not enough to make up for the Prius defects in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the split rear window. Solve the sqeaking dash. Improve the seats. Make the steering quicker. Improve the side visibility. Improve the brakes.

Civic Hybrid vs. Prius
By civictoprius

Having traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid after putting over 150,000 miles on it and have been driving Honda's for 20 years, I purchased a 2010 Prius II. The new versions of the Hybrid Civic can not come close in MPG. After having the Prius for months and 7000 miles I can report the Prius rides better, is more powerful (in regular and PWR mode) more stable on the road, quiter, and is more roomy. with at least 50 MPG commuting and carpooling over 130 miles per day. The late versions of this model only goes to 9 mph in EV mode and not 25 mph as advertised.

Favorite Features

Having driven it in the snow and ice, it is as sure-footed as any car I have driven, but only in the ECO mode which is perfect power for not slipping during acceleration and slowing down. I held out for the 2010 version and like the ability to change "modes" with ECO and PWR, but see little differance in fuel consumption in either mode. Family likes the passenger room as well as the rear leg room. The batteries replacement and life expectantcy of the Prius is better in comparison to the Civic's that depreciates the value of the car rapidly as the miles increase, giving the Prius better value.

Suggested Improvements

Cons are like the other reviews read; squeaky dash and center console, plasticky interior that scratches easily and is hard to clean. Want to be able to display just the lower readings on the computer without showing the graph. Don't like the back up beeper on inside of car, without it being on the outside. Want the gas gauge and miles countdown left to be more true and actually match the fuel level left in the tank, maybe list a primary and reserve amount, seperately. Front grill area chipped from road debris and shows dark primer under primary silver color. Would like to see the 17 inch tire as a standard option. The driver's seat needs an adjustment for lumbar support.

Is it a "big little car" or a "little big car?"
By priuspapa

I was "hooked" with my first test-drive. I initially was looking at either the 2010 Sonata or Elantra but the Prius just blew me away with its sophistication and refined performance. So smooooth, quiet, and well-mannered. I've been a compact car man my whole life but have never owned a car as unique as this one. I'm constantly stopped by passers-by who ask me how I like it. My family, friends, and associates are all overly curious about "how it works" and the space-age digital graphic dashboard displays are amazing. I've only had it for 2 months and about 3,000 miles so far but long enough to have opinions - mostly favorable.

Favorite Features

The Prius is the most refined elegant small car I have ever owned and I've owned LOTS of them. It is so smooooth and QUIET with a comfortable interior, seats and appointments. The transition from electric motor to engine is almost imperceptible. It is one the most easy-to-drive cars: very light steering, light touch on the brakes, and the car just seems to pick up speed without any lurching, sort of like an old Buick Dynaflo automatic transmission. Roominess in the back seat is amazing and storage is ample. The gas mileage? I got 53.5 MPG on my latest tank. My monthly gas bills have been CUT IN HALF! When I want to get up and accelerate, it has plenty of smooth power to keep pace.

Suggested Improvements

Very few but I'll mention these: 1) the back-up beeper when the Prius is in reverse should be on the OUTSIDE of the car because it is absolutely silent when backing up. 2) The fuel filler neck occasionally overflows without the filler nozzle auto-shutting off. 3) The view out the rear window is limited and the rear quarter panels block the adjacent lanes so changing lanes and maneuvering must be done with great care. I was aware of the rear visibility problems in advance of my purchase and have compensated for that. 4) Develop a way to clean the lower half of the rear window where most of the visibility is.

A formidable achievement.
By James

My 2010 Prius II is the finest overall car I have ever owned and I have been driving my own cars for forty years. It has the unique ability to transport four people in comfort and do so with an overall average of 50 mpg. I am impressed with the technology and am convinced Toyota loses money on the base car. It combines excellent driving characteristics (it's no sports sedan, however) with an engaging dash and controls. I enjoy driving this car. Gripes? The tires need more compliance as they now transmit too much road noise and harshness into the cabin. Also the radio/entertainment system combo is weak. I am not convinced spending more on factory pieces would be worthwhile. The after-market s

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Built to a price point.

Amazing
By Trekker

I bought the 2010 Prius on 09/2009 and it has over 20,000 miles on it. This car not only gets great gas mileage, but has plenty of power on the highway. Our highways have a 75 MPH speed limit and I'm always doing the speed limit. We have a variety of elevations and can drop or climb 3000 feet within 100 miles. The Prius handles these conditions with a whimper and never wavers from the speed set on the cruise control. Ride is smooth quiet and comfortable. One problem I've noticed is the Prius is not great in snow or mud, we don't get to much of either, but it was a problem. Get some good quality mud and snows. Another problem is that it is very low, so dirt roads would be a problem.

Favorite Features

1. Key-less entry 2. Multi information display 3. Six-speaker sound system 4. Two glove compartments 5. Great Gas Mileage 6. Plenty of power on highway

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if it handled mud and snow better. Car is very low, so watch those curbs in the parking lot.

I love my Prius!
By luvmyPriusII

I have owned Honda's all my life. the two recent being a 2003 Honda Civic and a 2008 Honda Fit. they were both excellent cars, fun to drive, amazing reliability, and good fuel economy. except the Fit Sport which i was averaging around 25mpg!! and in the three years i owned the Fit, the body panels had gaps that seemed to get bigger which i never experienced before. so since i have been dreaming about the new 2010 Prius even before it came out, i decided to upgrade and upgrade i have!! the Prius II is a luxury car compared to the Fit. it rides smooth, the exterior is beautiful, the interior is amazing with all it's graphics and info. the quality materials are top notch. don't wait. buy one!!

Favorite Features

beautiful exterior and interior design, easy to read and very informative digital gauges, amazing fuel economy despite running the air conditioner down here in hot south Florida. very smooth and quiet ride. Lexus like build quality and materials. i can go on forever, this is the best car!

Suggested Improvements

the ONLY negatives are it takes time to learn where the blind spots are and how to overcome them, and it's hard to get to the nozzles to put air in the tire..and that's it!!