Used 2010 Toyota Prius II Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

100,000 miles and going strong!
By Luis Esparza

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my second Prius. My first one is a 2005. But right at 100k miles the expensive to replace door lock actuators have become intermittent! Dealer estimate was $1000 to replace them, with an oil change included... Way too expensive for a part that should survive 1 million cycles or more. Even if I used the door locks 10 times per day, for 5 years, thats 91,250 open and close cycles. My 2005 Prius, my T-100, my 2004 Siena have never had any door lock issues. What is the real story Toyota??? The forums are peppered with faulty door lock stories on the more recent Prius models. My dealer gave me some story that Toyota alerted the service centers that air fresheners affect the electronics and thats why my door lock actuators failed?!?!?! Realy!?!?! Typical actuators are $20 to $50, but Toyota decided to charge $350 each... This is a recall candidate and Toyota should make things right. Except for that, I love my Prius. Thats why I plan to buy another one shortly. My 2005 is at 260,000 miles without any major issue. That is why I am so surprised with my 2010 Prius and the lack of integrity from the service center.

one month into ownership of a prius
By mark4jesus

I am very impress on the used 2010 prius and with only 77,900 miles and i love it and like the way how it drives. it is very quiet and roomy an seems like i am driving a new car. It does not seems like it has that many miles on the car. It is totally amazing car to drive. i have this car going about a month now. I have read from other reviews from consumer and people really dislike the hard plastic and i really does not brother me anything. I am coming away from driving a 2003 buick century to a 2010 Prius and boy what a big difference. I love driving this car and It suppose to be everyday car and it is meant to drive. I am now into my 4th week and i am now getting up 55 mpg

I love the way it handles and drive and the Prius really teaching you how to drive all over again and being a more defense driver and i really do not care if people around want to pass and burn gas because i am really on a tight budget and i love the way it handles and the gas saving is totally amazing!

so far i really do not have any suggestion on improvements. when I first got it i really did not notice the driver side head light burn out and took it back and replace it at no charge. Other than that i really have no other suggested.

Great car, not very owner-servicable
By kscommuter1

My 2010 Prius went 150,000 miles with NO unscheduled maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations and replacements, filters, tune ups... that's it. And, of course there is that gas mileage (I get 46-47 in mostly highway driving). Sadly, this car is not very user-serviceable. Instructions, unbelievably, call for removal of the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs. I ignored this and simply reached around behind them to unscrew... now I have pulled a wire loose. Plastic panels have to come off to access the oil drain plug. The windshield wipers and their motor have to come out to access the spark plugs-- seriously! Such thoughtless design is so very un-Japanese.

Gas mileage, reliability

What happened to those thoughtful little touches Japanese cars used to have? Pulling the wiper motor to replace spark plugs? $300 headlight replacements? Plastic sheeting blocking access to the oil drain plug? ALL could have been prevented so easily with minor, thoughtful design tweaks. It's almost like a conspiracy to enrich the car dealers' service departments, the ease-of-service oversights are so blatant and glaring. Get it together, Toyota! Otherwise this is a fine car.

Loved it at first, now I absolutely hate this car.
By rex81

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a great car to get from A to B. But it has so many faults, mostly in the way it drives, that I had to get rid of it after 30,000 miles. For efficiency of fuel and space, it's unmatched. It's roomy and gets great mileage. But... The auto on/off of the engine is choppy, the brake feel is eneven, rock hard seats, the steering is numb, the ride is harsh, there are a ton of rattles throughout the car, and the car feels like it weighs twice what it does. Just a terrible driving experience. I was getting about 39 mpg consistently. No reliability issues whatsoever. But in the end, life is too short to drive a car like this. That's why I got rid of it.

Good, not great gas mileage. Excellent interior space. Adults fit comfortably in the back.

Softer seats, better drivability, softer ride, tighten up the rattles.

Excellent car
By hbedmunds

I was surprised at some of the reviews indicating care was uncomfortable etc. I have never written a car review before, but the 2010 Pirus is such an excellent car, that it deserves a review. I now have 29,000 miles. I track the mileage on most fill-ups, and my average is 48.7mpg over more than 27,000 miles check. Mileage is best in rush hour traffic, worst for short trips of 3 miles or less and when driveing higher than 65 mph. I find the car fun to drive around town and VERY comfortable on long trips, much more so for my back than previous 1990 Maxima and 2001 Avalon. We originally assumed that we would only use it in town, but now use it as exclusive choice for long trips. No issues

High gas mileage, handling, overall quality, no rattles. Note: you can adjust settings at dealer to turn off the back-up beeping, and to unlock all doors when touching driver handle.

Radio reception: By far largest complaint is that the FM reception is poor in base radio in the "II" version. Dealer said it was normal. If making choice again, I would have paid the extra $1K for better sound system and bluetooth, even though I do not listen to radio extensively. Reduce road noise at highway speeds (minor concern. is less noisy than cheap cars, and is quiet at low speeds). Would prefer tweaking design to have 5 star crash rating all around.