Used 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

one month into ownership of a prius
By mark4jesus

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am very impress on the used 2010 prius and with only 77,900 miles and i love it and like the way how it drives. it is very quiet and roomy an seems like i am driving a new car. It does not seems like it has that many miles on the car. It is totally amazing car to drive. i have this car going about a month now. I have read from other reviews from consumer and people really dislike the hard plastic and i really does not brother me anything. I am coming away from driving a 2003 buick century to a 2010 Prius and boy what a big difference. I love driving this car and It suppose to be everyday car and it is meant to drive. I am now into my 4th week and i am now getting up 55 mpg

Favorite Features

I love the way it handles and drive and the Prius really teaching you how to drive all over again and being a more defense driver and i really do not care if people around want to pass and burn gas because i am really on a tight budget and i love the way it handles and the gas saving is totally amazing!

Suggested Improvements

so far i really do not have any suggestion on improvements. when I first got it i really did not notice the driver side head light burn out and took it back and replace it at no charge. Other than that i really have no other suggested.

Why won't Toyota listen?
By James Lawson

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2010 Prius with over 100,000 miles on it. In general, I love the car - no serious complaints. However, I had two minor complaints which I relayed to Toyota in 2010. Neither has been rectified1. The Sirius-XM radio displays 16 characters of the title and artist. There is room for 40 characters. Why won't they expand this? 2. When a truck goes backwards, it beeps outside to warn anybody in the driver's blind spit to be careful. When you put a Toyita in reverse, it beeps on the inside trolling the driver Thant Toyita thinks he's too stupid to realize he's in reverse. This is both annoying and insulting.

Favorite Features

Great mileage and 400-500 miles on a tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

See review.

All around too good
By bsedgal

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback I 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this car with 88K miles a year and a half ago and now have 100K miles. No issues whatsoever. Just great car with great gas mileage. I get 45mpg in the summer and 38mpg in the dead of winter. This is definitely not a fix it yourself kinda vehicle which is sorta a con for me. First of all there is absolutely no working room under the hood. Its extremely compact I get claustrophobic just looking around. Second the hybrid system is of course full of unique electrical parts and highly technical work. somewhat dangerous as well. If it ever has problems I will be completely at the mercy of the dealer and I'm sure they will gauge me all the way to the bank. But again, so far no problems.

Great car, not very owner-servicable
By kscommuter1

My 2010 Prius went 150,000 miles with NO unscheduled maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations and replacements, filters, tune ups... that's it. And, of course there is that gas mileage (I get 46-47 in mostly highway driving). Sadly, this car is not very user-serviceable. Instructions, unbelievably, call for removal of the front bumper to replace the headlight bulbs. I ignored this and simply reached around behind them to unscrew... now I have pulled a wire loose. Plastic panels have to come off to access the oil drain plug. The windshield wipers and their motor have to come out to access the spark plugs-- seriously! Such thoughtless design is so very un-Japanese.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

What happened to those thoughtful little touches Japanese cars used to have? Pulling the wiper motor to replace spark plugs? $300 headlight replacements? Plastic sheeting blocking access to the oil drain plug? ALL could have been prevented so easily with minor, thoughtful design tweaks. It's almost like a conspiracy to enrich the car dealers' service departments, the ease-of-service oversights are so blatant and glaring. Get it together, Toyota! Otherwise this is a fine car.

My dream car!
By krit1

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2008 Prius was totaled in a car accident and I got very little from my insurance co. So, I opted for a Ford Fiesta. Hated it from the start! Took it to the dealer twice for lunging and I hated the gear shift. A disaster!! I traded it in for a 2010 Prius with 50,000. I can't tell you the extraordinary difference. It's like trading up from a Datsun to a cutting-edge, super Eco dream car. It drives like velvet. The console is easy to navigate. The body is sporty, the interior spacious, as is the trunk. I can't think of anything negative other than my III model didn't come with a 6 changer CD player. But, the dealership will rectify it. I will never shop out of the Prius family.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, sporty look, easy to use, cutting edge console, spacious inside, fun to drive, smooth drive, reliable...everything is right about this car!

Suggested Improvements

Future cutting edge design. I look forward to the 2015 model. Toyota is on it! They are forward thinkers.