2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Leased it, loved it, bought it
By icehorses on 09/28/13 17:42 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I leased my Prius and at the end of the three years opted to buy it. No problems whatsoever, just change the oil, rotate the tires, and you're good to go. I average between 52-55 MPG (combined city/highway), it sips gas. When I first leased it I read up on how to drive a Prius to get the most effective gas mileage, coasting and avoiding rapid acceleration definitely helps to optimize your fuel economy. I'm tall and I find it to be a very comfortable vehicle with plenty of headroom and pleasant interior. If you need to have a lot of power and acceleration at your fingertips, this isn't the vehicle for you. If you appreciate a quiet ride and phenomenal gas mileage, then it just might be!

Very pleased with my Prius V
By peter_peter on 08/16/13 17:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, I am very pleased. Looked for months at many different cars (sedans) from BMW's to Acuras to MBZ but the Toyota Prius always stood on my list of options. Averaging between 48-51 mpg, half street and freeways. Perfect commuter car, I fill up my gas tank and spend almost half as compared to my wife's Civic. Nothing wrong with the Civic, but this Toyota has everything. Fully loaded with everything from navi, Bluetooth, leather, cold AC, 17 inch wheels, key-less go and the list goes on. The car does turn on and off when the engine is not needed,nothing major but not something I expected, no big deal. Highly recommend this car to someone who wants something different and gets great mpg.

Love our Prius
By paul5637 on 07/06/13 20:26 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback III 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have a 2010 Prius III. Loved it from the start. It has as much head room as our mini van or more. We haul it loaded full Illinois to Florida and back Fall and Spring and get on average 48 mpg overall. That surprised me with driving the interstates most of the way at 70 mph a lot. Definitely will get another one for our next car. When I see the price of gas going up it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. With getting over twice the mpg as my previous vehicles, I figure $4/gal gas is like paying $2/gal.

2010 Prius Touring
By sg3msmith on 07/06/13 15:09 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Own a 2010 Prius Touring. Still own a 2004 Prius. This third gen car is a great step up. The driving position is much more comfortable than previous generation. Quieter cabin ride. Engine develops more HP and you can tell the difference. Like the positioning of the controls (much easier to see everything). Very nice car. Glad to have my 2nd Prius.

Used V with Advanced Tech
By euphony010 on 03/31/13 18:53 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback V 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this as a used one owner with 42k miles. A little under a year later and I'm at 63k miles, averaging 43.1MPG. The 17" wheels likely account for the low average, but I'm happy since it has been on a few packed road trips. If you're considering the Advanced Tech package, I think it's a no-brainer if you are commuting on the interstate. The Dynamic Radar Cruise Control makes my daily commutes much less irritating (it can slow the car down to 25mph if necessary). Pair that with the Lane Keep Assist and the system can make a good attempt at steering the car while at speed. I use both daily. The Pre-Collision System has activated twice, and the seat belt tensioning happened once.

Loved it at first, now I absolutely hate this car.
By rex81 on 11/27/12 07:22 AM (PST)

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a great car to get from A to B. But it has so many faults, mostly in the way it drives, that I had to get rid of it after 30,000 miles. For efficiency of fuel and space, it's unmatched. It's roomy and gets great mileage. But... The auto on/off of the engine is choppy, the brake feel is eneven, rock hard seats, the steering is numb, the ride is harsh, there are a ton of rattles throughout the car, and the car feels like it weighs twice what it does. Just a terrible driving experience. I was getting about 39 mpg consistently. No reliability issues whatsoever. But in the end, life is too short to drive a car like this. That's why I got rid of it.

SO GLAD I GOT THIS CAR!
By b14 on 04/07/12 16:02 PM (PDT)

I had a toyota corrola almost 20 years ago when I was getting out of college, and drove it til almost 170k miles. After that I wanted luxury and performance. I flopped back and forth between VW's and Honda Accords, and after having lots of expenses with both (I think my hondas were defective), saw an ad for a Prius lease for 179/mo. I never thought I'd drive off the lot, just wanted to "see". After checking it out and driving it, then calculating the incentive deals and gas savings, I realized I could afford this car no problem. The cost to own is so low. Change the oil every 10k miles thats it. Drove to NYC from Boston and back for $30! Unbelievable. Attractive-Fun to drive: Will be buying!

Excellent car
By hbedmunds on 10/30/11 10:05 AM (PDT)

I was surprised at some of the reviews indicating care was uncomfortable etc. I have never written a car review before, but the 2010 Pirus is such an excellent car, that it deserves a review. I now have 29,000 miles. I track the mileage on most fill-ups, and my average is 48.7mpg over more than 27,000 miles check. Mileage is best in rush hour traffic, worst for short trips of 3 miles or less and when driveing higher than 65 mph. I find the car fun to drive around town and VERY comfortable on long trips, much more so for my back than previous 1990 Maxima and 2001 Avalon. We originally assumed that we would only use it in town, but now use it as exclusive choice for long trips. No issues

Improve the visibility
By hybridguy3 on 08/22/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

I owned my 2010 Prius for just under a year and learned to hate it for the following reasons: Bad bad brakes, hit a bump and lose them for a split second, not dangerous but disconcerting. Visibility to the rear and sides is awful, especially in the winter; the bottom half of the split rear window is impossible to keep clean. My wife, who is 5'2", refused to drive it because of poor visibility. The dash squeaked in cold weather. Dashboard readouts difficult to read with polarized sunglasses. The handling is not quick and the seats, while okay for a short drive are murder on a long one. Bought a Civic Hybrid because it doesn't have any of the problems listed above.

surprised
By mcruzen on 07/16/11 12:10 PM (PDT)

I am an official car nut, bought a new prius 4 in December of 2010 to commute 20 miles to work. Thought I have to sacrifice fun and comfort for the fuel economy. I have been pleasantly surprised. In 7.5 months we have put over 15,000 miles on the car and coordinate all of our travel around the availability of the prius. Performance has been amazing, mileage terrific and its fun to drive. I really wonder why household doesn't have one in their garage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback in NJ is:

$190 per month*