MPG Machine
By Bone11241124 on
2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I purchased the car specifically for maxing out my mpg and it's lived up to its billing. In the 3 months I've been driving it I average 62 mpg city/53 mpg highway/58 mpg combined (well above the combined 47 mpg EPA rating). Comfort and styling are above average in my opinion. Overall power is below average... but I didn't buy this car for the power. Great commuter car as it has already saved me $200 in gas compared to my former vehicle (2005 Toyota 4runner). You can find alternate commuter cars at a better price but not with this much comfort/styling or getting this good of mileage!
Favorite Features
1. EV mode allows you to drive gas free under 42 mph (using a feather foot on the GO pedal). 2. For a mid-size car... plenty of cargo room. Seats fold down nicely to allow for larger cargo. 3. Interior designed well with plenty of instrumentation to allow for great mpg's!
Suggested Improvements
1. Low rear roof causes limited rear view out back window (understood given the low drag of the car). 2. Could use more horsepower (addressed in 2010 model).