How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...
By rhodeislandred on
2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
For transparency purposes, I must disclose that I grossly underestimated my love for the 'driving experience', and that I live in New England. 1. Cold weather made gas bladder (tank) shring from 12 gallons to 9, resulting in more frequent stops at the gas stations. And no, it does not 'expand' when the weather warmed up. Did I mention the wildly inaccurate fuel gauge? 2. Zero lumbar support makes it uncomfortable for those long drives you'll be taking since the mileage is so great. 3. Speaking of great mileage, it's the best feature, as long as the weather is warm and the pavement dry. New England only meets that criteria 25% of the year. I averaged 30 mpgs. in the cold weather.
Favorite Features
(Cont.) 4. The straw that broke the camels back was driving in 1 inch of slushy snow, and having the engine cut. This is a 'safety' feature designed to protect the hybrid engine, but the result was sliding into a side walk with very little control over the vehicle. You can amuse yourself with more stories like this by googling "driving prius in the snow'. My previous driving experience were with Mazda (to which I returned), and my ABS light only activated once. This was a weekly occurrence with the Prius due to anything but drv pavement; it even happened when travelling over railroad tracks. 5. My car had a rear camera; still very difficult to see the rear view.
Suggested Improvements
(Cont.) 6. Absolutely no pick up when trying to use the passing lane on the highway. 7. Factory tires may have contributed to poor driving experiences (see #4 above). There may have been other things I hated, but I could be benefiting from repressed memory syndrome. I would never recommend this car to anyone other than a little old lady that only drives in nice weather on local roads (or maybe to someone I really disliked!). Hope this is helpful.