2009 Toyota Prius 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Exactly what I expected

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Exactly what I expected
By michael on

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The prius is incredibly economical and the advanced powertrain engineering is very clear. The interior space is exceptionally good, although at 5'11" it would be nice if the driver seat could be moved and additional inch rearward. I have owned SUVs as well as sports cars and sedans, but this is one of the easiest cars I've driven yet. In town this Prius gets 53 MPG and for day to day commuting it handles well. It is not a car that I enjoy driving fast, since at the limit of handling it is a little unsettled. The turn radius is fantastic though, and it understeers predictably through tight fast corners. The acceleration is similar to a mid 70s American sedan - it won't win any races.

Favorite Features

Tight turn radius, a decent amount of interior space, great visibility, exceptional fuel economy, overall quietness, ride is very comfortable, fit and finish, low cost.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof option, louder horn, better quality interior fabric, diesel engine, improved performance (it would be Nice to have a 0 - 60 mph in 8.5 seconds), improve the voice activated phone. Improve seat support. Less body roll in turns.