2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Fuel Tank Problem
By ROBERT WILFORD on 12/28/08 18:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is almost impossible to fuel the auto due to the collapse of the fuel bladder. I understand this is a problem only in cold weather. Maybe someone will find a solution to this. Would pressurizing this tank with about 5 psi of air pressure prior to refueling expand the bladder to normal size?

Super car
By Jack on 12/25/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We only have 500 miles on the car but could not be more pleased. Most driving has been in snow and cold and it performs as well as any other front wheel drive. This car is easier to get in and out of and has more headroom that the Chevy Impala I traded. Mileage around town is only about 35 mph to this point but it is small town, stop and go and temperatures have been near or below zero. Expect improvement when it is broken in and temperatures rise.

Problems in Winter
By priusinChicago on 12/23/08 20:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota Prius was pretty good, basically a 4 out of 5 in all respects except mileage, and then it was a 5 out of 5 until the very cold weather set in. Mileage went down from 46-50 mpg all the way to mid 30s mpg when it was in the 20s outside. And in the very cold (teens or near zero degrees Farhen) when you use the heater it went down to 27 to 30 mpg. This was a disappointment on all counts with winter and cold weather mileage.

Wow!
By snead_c on 12/01/08 06:06 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have passed 1000 miles and I could not be more satisfied with our 2009 Prius Touring. It is quiet, smooth with good driving dynamics, and the fuel economy is wonderful at 47+ mpg on regular gas. Ours has package #5 and its' convenience features (voice rec, bluetooth,, JBL etc) make ownership a joy.

Re-learning driving a car
By Jim on 11/30/08 06:38 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I don't have much available money so I went for the #1 car that would keep me away from the service department and the gas station. So far after only one month so good, but it's still early. Everything I could have asked for. Everyone asks me how I charge it and what kind of fuel I have to use and I almost laugh when I tell them I never have to charge it and I can use any gas I want.

Fun Car-Great MPG
By Rick on 10/19/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

Only had my Prius 1 week but just so much fun driving. Only 220 miles so far and 49 MPG average. Still getting used to start button, driving for better MPG, etc., but having fun all the same. Can't wait til I get it broken in and get better MPG. Very comfortable, quiet and smooth ride, lots of storage places for all those items we can't do without, more room in back seat than we expected. Lots of questions from friends about MPG, features, etc., but they ALL like it.

An Honest Appraisal
By Aviator on 09/30/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been driving a 2008 Mercedes C350 fully loaded until today. Average MPG was 20. Then came along the Prius.The Prius caught my eye, especially in light of today's fuel prices, which are always going to go up. Took delivery of my 2009 Prius today. It lives up to the hype and then some. Averaged 55 mpg on the drive home. Incredible!! Interior comfort exceeds the Mercedes. Interior appointments functional, beautiful and fun. Driving experience major fun. Handles great, sound system a wow. Tons of room, I'm 6,1". Superb interstate handling doing 70 mph. An incredibly versatile, functional and fun ride. And that 55 mpg burning regular, just keeps a smile on your face.

My Silver 2009 Prius
By Chessie on 09/29/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my 09 Prius for 2 weeks and 400 miles. I've driven two round trips of 150 miles each and some city driving and have an average of 52.5 MPG so far. I've read that the mileage goes up significantly after break in. Can't wait!! Feels like I'm driving a concept vehicle. Displays and controls are easy to understand and use.

My 2009 Prius
By Dave on 08/31/08 22:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Okay, so I've only had my '09 Prius for four days and 200 miles! If this was a preview, then I can't wait until it gets really broken in and the mpg goes up. Saturday we drove 60 miles round trip on flat road and averaged 51.2. Not bad for a rookie.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$104 per month*