Used 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

From Mercedes to Toyota
By Bobby

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I cannot say how much I enjoy my 2009 Toyota Prius. I used to drive a Mercedes SUV and never thought of getting used to a smaller car. Honestly I do not miss my SUV or the amount of money that I paid for every service and other things. This car is far beyond of what I expected. I carry same amount of stuffs that I used to carry in the back of my SUV. Just fold the back seats and you got all the room you need. It is a good car for any age group that has a great style. Way to go Toyota.

Prius
By Mark

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm 6' 4" and the front leg room is very tight. It is also a bit narrow. The fit and feel is very good for a mid size car. It's so quiet on start up. Acceleration is slow but reliability should be outstanding.

The touch screen display is very useful. The fuel mileage is amazing. I never go below 50 MPG. The cargo room in the hatchback is quite good.

Not enough front leg room for tall drivers. Need better adjustments on the seat. Lumbar support would be nice. The brake pedal is too small.

Best Ecconomy car Availabel
By George

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius 1 June 2009. At first I had trouble getting used to the electronic displays, but after driving one week I became accustomed with them. The most important reason for buying the Prius was its reliability, the CVT transmission and the fuel economy. After driving 1400 miles I am averaging 50 miles per gallon overall. In city driving I get about 45 mpg, I live in a hilly area. On the highway I get about 53 mpg. The electronic display help one economize fuel if you desire so.

Mileage, CVT transmission. Electronic displays, Reliability.

The front seats need some improvements, lumbar support, ETC.

Beats the the Civic hands down
By SteveB

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius May 2009 and love it. Had one as a rental car for a week and decided then that my next car was going to be a Prius. Thanks to Toyota's 0% interest, I'm not a liar. We are averaging about 46 mpg with mostly interstate driving and some city. I have averaged as high as mid 50's on the interstate while still doing approx 65 mph. I think my wife just has a heavy foot when she drives. Traded in a 07 Civic and WOW, the Prius beats the Civic in every category, especially comfort and performance. I no longer feel like I am driving a college kid's car. The dealer had aftermarket leather installed on the seats, but gave me a great deal on this car.

Hybrid, look, performance and MPGs.

Tinted rear and back side windows.

MPG Machine
By Bone11241124

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the car specifically for maxing out my mpg and it's lived up to its billing. In the 3 months I've been driving it I average 62 mpg city/53 mpg highway/58 mpg combined (well above the combined 47 mpg EPA rating). Comfort and styling are above average in my opinion. Overall power is below average... but I didn't buy this car for the power. Great commuter car as it has already saved me $200 in gas compared to my former vehicle (2005 Toyota 4runner). You can find alternate commuter cars at a better price but not with this much comfort/styling or getting this good of mileage!

1. EV mode allows you to drive gas free under 42 mph (using a feather foot on the GO pedal). 2. For a mid-size car... plenty of cargo room. Seats fold down nicely to allow for larger cargo. 3. Interior designed well with plenty of instrumentation to allow for great mpg's!

1. Low rear roof causes limited rear view out back window (understood given the low drag of the car). 2. Could use more horsepower (addressed in 2010 model).