Used 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

MPG Machine
By Bone11241124

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the car specifically for maxing out my mpg and it's lived up to its billing. In the 3 months I've been driving it I average 62 mpg city/53 mpg highway/58 mpg combined (well above the combined 47 mpg EPA rating). Comfort and styling are above average in my opinion. Overall power is below average... but I didn't buy this car for the power. Great commuter car as it has already saved me $200 in gas compared to my former vehicle (2005 Toyota 4runner). You can find alternate commuter cars at a better price but not with this much comfort/styling or getting this good of mileage!

Favorite Features

1. EV mode allows you to drive gas free under 42 mph (using a feather foot on the GO pedal). 2. For a mid-size car... plenty of cargo room. Seats fold down nicely to allow for larger cargo. 3. Interior designed well with plenty of instrumentation to allow for great mpg's!

Suggested Improvements

1. Low rear roof causes limited rear view out back window (understood given the low drag of the car). 2. Could use more horsepower (addressed in 2010 model).

2nd generation Prius
By GBRACH

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have owned 04, 05, 06, 08, 09 Prius. No other car is even close. Very quiet, tracks perfectly, extremely fast. CVT is only transmission to have. Shift by wire is magnificent. Trunk space is incredible. Comfortable. If gas was 20 cents a gallon I would still buy Prius. Will get 2010 next. We have an 08 and 09 at present. Excellent brakes and build quality.

Favorite Features

CVT tranny and electric shift, hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window visibility. Surround view, rear view mirror to eliminate blind spots.

A Great Mix of Gas and Electricity
By Joe in Iowa

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now owned my Base Prius-Package 6 for 7 mos and 7,700 mi. I love it with a couple of exceptions. First, it is best if you are not over 5'10" sitting in the front passenger seat. Second, the navigation system is a waste (spend $200 on a Garmin). The actual mileage I have had has ranged from 35-37 mpg (winter) to 44-48 mpg in the above freezing months. My dealer said this is a more realistic expectation than the published numbers. Otherwise, it drives great (expect performance commensurate with its horsepower),the interior toys and quality are terrific, and I would definitely buy another one. The leather seat covering is great, but for almost $30,000 I would expect elect. seats.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry-starting, screen display of radio, climate control, telephone, nav., and trip/performance computer. Leather seats. Storage well under rear cargo area. HUGE cargo carrying ability with back seats folded down. Backup camera (needed with the large blind spots).

Suggested Improvements

Electric (sliding-raising) seats. Telescoping steering wheel. Allow front seats to slide back a little more. Other than nitpicky items, a great car.

Exactly what I expected
By michael

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The prius is incredibly economical and the advanced powertrain engineering is very clear. The interior space is exceptionally good, although at 5'11" it would be nice if the driver seat could be moved and additional inch rearward. I have owned SUVs as well as sports cars and sedans, but this is one of the easiest cars I've driven yet. In town this Prius gets 53 MPG and for day to day commuting it handles well. It is not a car that I enjoy driving fast, since at the limit of handling it is a little unsettled. The turn radius is fantastic though, and it understeers predictably through tight fast corners. The acceleration is similar to a mid 70s American sedan - it won't win any races.

Favorite Features

Tight turn radius, a decent amount of interior space, great visibility, exceptional fuel economy, overall quietness, ride is very comfortable, fit and finish, low cost.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof option, louder horn, better quality interior fabric, diesel engine, improved performance (it would be Nice to have a 0 - 60 mph in 8.5 seconds), improve the voice activated phone. Improve seat support. Less body roll in turns.

Great Car
By Roger

I have only owned the car for a week so I'm still learning how to operate a high tech hybrid vehicle, I drove a similar size car for five years that rode, felt and sounded like a small car. The Prius drives like an upscale mid-sized sedan. It's quiet, comfortable, handles well, and has gotten over 50 mpg in city and highway driving the first week of operation. Fit and finish is outstanding. According to CR, reliability should be well above average. So far, I'm very satisfied with the car. I was interested in waiting for the new 2010 model but was able to save thousands by purchasing one of the last of the 09s.

Favorite Features

High Tech, fuel economy, drive comfort, quiet ride, fit and finish, interior room, hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

power adjust and heated seats, duel zone heating and air conditioning