2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Fun!
By Conway on 02/20/09 12:32 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

So I just got my package 6 Prius two weeks ago and love it! I traded in my BMW Z4 for it so I was really worried about it not having enough power since that was what I was used to but I am pleasantly surprised. I have driven it a lot already, about 1,000 miles and have averaged 45.9 mpg mostly freeway. It is extremely smooth, leather is much nicer then I thought and the keyless go, JBL, navi, back up camera and bluetooth are all amazing!

2009 Prius
By SJM on 01/29/09 11:48 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have nearly 6,000 miles on my Prius so far and have not yet been able to break the 41 MPG average, despite an 80 mile per day commute - this is disappointing as the sole reason for purchasing the Prius was to gain maximum fuel efficiency. My hopes are that this will change as the weather starts to warm up, but, don't you think Toyota would have accounted for cold weather in the MPG ratings? Otherwise, I enjoy driving the Prius.

Never imagined
By JC on 01/28/09 06:12 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not the typical hybrid owner, but, I love intricate gadgets that make sense and do exactly what is expected and then some and that, is the Prius. You wonder how it can go from so many different modes so seamlessly. I have the Touring which is a little too spirited for a green car, yet, with all that it does on its own, this car very quickly gains its own personality and becomes an object of affection... just can't quite explain it. The bottom line here, out of all the sport/fast/trendy cars I have owned, this Prius is by far the most intuitive machine of them all.

Gas Mileage for my 2009 Prius Touring
By LeeAnn on 01/22/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got my 2009 Toyota Prius Touring package 6 on Monday 19th. I'm currently a little disappointed with the gas mileage, I've only put 102 miles on the car at this point, & the cars screen indicates I'm averaging 32.1 MPG. Hopefully this improves after I've broken it in a little,

THE Hybrid that beats all others
By jrays on 01/22/09 10:26 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is exactly what it is supposed to be. It is the best hybrid on the market. Toyota built it from the ground up as a hybrid, so it has a distinctive look and great features. I’ve had my Seaside Pearl Prius with Package #6 for 3 months and I love it. All you have to do is get in it and drive. The switching between electric and gas is almost imperceptible. This car has an abundance of amenities that make it fun and interesting. The cabin is very flexible, allowing you to carry passengers and cargo with ease. The acceleration, comfort and ride are great.

Why I hate my Prius
By yorfutrxhsbnd on 01/21/09 21:32 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am averaging about 29 mpg in city driving. Admittedly my trips tend to be quite short, but I am by no means driving with a heavy foot. I often coast for blocks when I anticipate a light changing ahead, accelerate slowly, but it seems to make little difference. The car has been tested 3 times so far and the dealerships say it is fine. Since the only reason for leasing this car as opposed to less expensive vehicles was for mileage, I am very disappointed. While the car is quite comfortable and the interior functional, the stereo is of very poor quality. And, contrary to an assertion made, adding a subwoofer improves, but does definitely NOT transform the sound.

I love it
By Marie on 01/18/09 12:41 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just got my new Prius 5 days ago, and I love it. I have 220 miles on it and I got 53.4 mpg. It is very easy to drive, and I agree you do have to learn to drive it if you want good gas mileage. The next thing is we will have to tow it back to Mi this spring. We usually towed with all four tired down, now we will be towing with a dolly. Every one says you won't know its back there. All in all I love the car appearance and all. I was driving a stick shift before so it really is different.

Cool Car
By Larry on 01/15/09 14:43 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is cool because: 1) the gas mileage is great, 2) the driving experience tells you that the car uses newer and better technology (for example driving away without the gas engine running and having the gas engine shut down at red lights), 3) the display lets you know how the advanced systems are powering the car and how much kinetic energy has been captured and stored in the battery to power the car later, 4) even with all the gas saving features the car is large enough to be practical for a small family.

Has some very good traits and bad ones
By Tall Dude on 01/05/09 06:32 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Might want to look elsewhere if over 6ft tall as I am. Ergonomics have become annoying - rear view mirror mostly in road-level line of sight and legs cramped by non-height adjustable seat. Marginal power up steep hills, and need to give lots of gas to accelerate onto freeway onramps. Otherwise, cruises flats well, very smooth ride, fairly quiet interior. You may wish the gas motor was off all the time since the electric drive is captivating. Car is well built, high quality inside and out, save the lack of seat / steering wheel adjustments. JBL audio system pretty good, not amazing though. At 6ft 3in, I would not buy this car again.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Jim on 01/02/09 13:02 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Having owned a Porsche and Nissan Pathfinder you would think the Prius would be a major step down. Not so! This car is fun to drive, feels sporty, and handles superbly. I've even come to like the unconventional appearance of my state of the art gas saver. Instead of taking the other vehicles I find myself jumping in the Prius. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. No fuss, no muss. We went with option #6 and love the features, controls, and surprising roominess. Simply press the button an go! I can't say enough about this car, it's fun, has plenty of acceleration when needed, rides quietly and smoothly. The 45 mpg is unbelievable but not the only thing impressive about this car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Prius in VA is:

$105 per month*