Used 2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Love my Prius
By dougb61

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Although the 2009 looks pretty much like every Prius since the 2004 redesign I think it's still a good looking car. For a small car the interior is spacious, lots of leg room even in the back seat. The seats recline to an almost flat position if needed. The rear seats lay flat opening up the storage space of the hatchback for plenty of storage. Up front there are two glove compartments, a small compartment under the radio, a sunglasses compartment overhead, and two large compartments between the seats. On the road I find the Prius has plenty of get-up-and-go when needed and the touchscreen display gives me the feedback I need to maximize my fuel economy.

46+ MPG, Bluetooth, touch screen display, lots of storage room, smartkey system, digital speedometer, smooth and quiet ride.

I'd like a couple more 12V DC outlets, two is not enough for today's wired world. Visibility out the rear is poor.

Hate it and selling for Subaru
By Liz

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Always had Toyotas until 1999 then got OUTBACK and loved it. Sold it for this new 2009 Prius. Only have 2,600 and HATE the car. Quality is cheap...metal dents easily, interior is cheaply done, little storage room and I am single with one medium sized dog and one little dog...Selling this to buy used low mileage Subaru Impreza...(regret purchase and will not buy another Toyota...they make them too CHEAP now. Shame on them...the old ones were GREAT...pre 1998)...no longer! Hate touch screen..always dirty.

push button start and mileage

Improve metal...dents and scratches without effort ! Upholstery material is the cheapest I have seen...horrible. Too high in REAR...2010's are better in interior...got rid of touchscreen.

2009 Prius
By GrammyB

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just had our 5000 mile maintenance check in out 2009 Prius. We test drove a couple cars before buying the Prius. We love our car. It is comfy and of course the gas mileage is great. When we were looking we had 2 cars in mind to compare (one being the Prius) and the other being a Honda Civic hybrid. We thought we would lean towards the Honda as we owned one before, there is no comparison between the 2, the Pruis won hands down.

Of course the gas mileage...ease of driving.

Clock could go on the big screen so u could see it, rear window could be a little bit more user friendly, I wish u could download pictures onto screen like a desktop or something. We have not had any problems but husband has already said this is not a car he will DIY on.

What about hidden maintenance costs?
By Ken C

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Prius for 36k miles. My love is simply summarized – 48 MPG! But will fuel savings be lost to unexpected maintenance costs? My car isn’t old enough to have real maintenance issues yet, but I’m wary. The engineers were great at building a complex car with great gas mileage, but lousy at creating a car that can be easily maintained. There's no room under the hood, so there's no way to do a simple DIY like replacing a headlight without extensive work. I tried DIY, but gave up. In the end, the dealer replaced it (in about two hours of labor) for $200+ (for a $10 bulb?!). That’s crazy talk man! People need to know up front that there could be high unforeseen maintenance costs.

Fuel efficiency and environmental friendliness!! Sure there's no pep or sex appeal to it, but it does the job, and does it very efficiently. I'm also pleasantly impressed with the amount of room in what I expected to be a too small interior.

Improve the plain interior, and definitely make room under the hood. Owners should be able to perform routine DIY maintenance without having to take the entire car apart to get to a headlight bulb (or without paying someone else). That just shows insufficient concern for end users by the designers.

Value for Money Finally
By Happy Prius Owner

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our new Prius in Dec 08 and promptly drove from Florida to CA and back. 5900 miles with no problems and $125 in gas costs for the entire trip. Since then we have put another 17000 miles on it with NO problems mechanical or otherwise. I am looking forward to purchasing another in the not to distant future. Excellent value for money. Gas mileage after the first 6000 miles went from 47 highway and 49 city to 48 highway and 51 around town. Got to love the savings. Cruising speed is comfortably up to 80 interstate with no significant loss of economy. A pleasure passing the clunkers going over the great divide.

Easy of handling and parking.

Need another power outlet in the back for passengers use for phone recharge and laptops.