Used 2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Value for Money Finally
By Happy Prius Owner

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased our new Prius in Dec 08 and promptly drove from Florida to CA and back. 5900 miles with no problems and $125 in gas costs for the entire trip. Since then we have put another 17000 miles on it with NO problems mechanical or otherwise. I am looking forward to purchasing another in the not to distant future. Excellent value for money. Gas mileage after the first 6000 miles went from 47 highway and 49 city to 48 highway and 51 around town. Got to love the savings. Cruising speed is comfortably up to 80 interstate with no significant loss of economy. A pleasure passing the clunkers going over the great divide.

Favorite Features

Easy of handling and parking.

Suggested Improvements

Need another power outlet in the back for passengers use for phone recharge and laptops.

From Mercedes to Toyota
By Bobby

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I cannot say how much I enjoy my 2009 Toyota Prius. I used to drive a Mercedes SUV and never thought of getting used to a smaller car. Honestly I do not miss my SUV or the amount of money that I paid for every service and other things. This car is far beyond of what I expected. I carry same amount of stuffs that I used to carry in the back of my SUV. Just fold the back seats and you got all the room you need. It is a good car for any age group that has a great style. Way to go Toyota.

Prius
By Mark

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm 6' 4" and the front leg room is very tight. It is also a bit narrow. The fit and feel is very good for a mid size car. It's so quiet on start up. Acceleration is slow but reliability should be outstanding.

Favorite Features

The touch screen display is very useful. The fuel mileage is amazing. I never go below 50 MPG. The cargo room in the hatchback is quite good.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough front leg room for tall drivers. Need better adjustments on the seat. Lumbar support would be nice. The brake pedal is too small.

Best Ecconomy car Availabel
By George

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius 1 June 2009. At first I had trouble getting used to the electronic displays, but after driving one week I became accustomed with them. The most important reason for buying the Prius was its reliability, the CVT transmission and the fuel economy. After driving 1400 miles I am averaging 50 miles per gallon overall. In city driving I get about 45 mpg, I live in a hilly area. On the highway I get about 53 mpg. The electronic display help one economize fuel if you desire so.

Favorite Features

Mileage, CVT transmission. Electronic displays, Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats need some improvements, lumbar support, ETC.

Beats the the Civic hands down
By SteveB

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius May 2009 and love it. Had one as a rental car for a week and decided then that my next car was going to be a Prius. Thanks to Toyota's 0% interest, I'm not a liar. We are averaging about 46 mpg with mostly interstate driving and some city. I have averaged as high as mid 50's on the interstate while still doing approx 65 mph. I think my wife just has a heavy foot when she drives. Traded in a 07 Civic and WOW, the Prius beats the Civic in every category, especially comfort and performance. I no longer feel like I am driving a college kid's car. The dealer had aftermarket leather installed on the seats, but gave me a great deal on this car.

Favorite Features

Hybrid, look, performance and MPGs.

Suggested Improvements

Tinted rear and back side windows.