Used 2009 Toyota Prius Standard Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Surprised me!
By Thom Bailey

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife wanted the Prius very badly and I was really turned off by the looks, but we took a test drive anyway about a year and a half ago. I was very surprised by the quality of the ride and handling. I still am surprised every time I drive the car. We live in the snowbelt of Ohio and with winter tires the vehicle is very dependable in snow and ice. I'd seriously think of getting a second Prius when the time comes.

Screen display of electric/gas motor usage; seats are fantastic; handling; comfort.

Get the JVC up grade for radio, stock stinks. Finally get the "stiffening bar/ plate" for the Prius underbody.

Prius
By Mark

I'm 6' 4" and the front leg room is very tight. It is also a bit narrow. The fit and feel is very good for a mid size car. It's so quiet on start up. Acceleration is slow but reliability should be outstanding.

The touch screen display is very useful. The fuel mileage is amazing. I never go below 50 MPG. The cargo room in the hatchback is quite good.

Not enough front leg room for tall drivers. Need better adjustments on the seat. Lumbar support would be nice. The brake pedal is too small.

2nd generation Prius
By GBRACH

Have owned 04, 05, 06, 08, 09 Prius. No other car is even close. Very quiet, tracks perfectly, extremely fast. CVT is only transmission to have. Shift by wire is magnificent. Trunk space is incredible. Comfortable. If gas was 20 cents a gallon I would still buy Prius. Will get 2010 next. We have an 08 and 09 at present. Excellent brakes and build quality.

CVT tranny and electric shift, hatchback.

Rear window visibility. Surround view, rear view mirror to eliminate blind spots.

Great Car
By Roger

I have only owned the car for a week so I'm still learning how to operate a high tech hybrid vehicle, I drove a similar size car for five years that rode, felt and sounded like a small car. The Prius drives like an upscale mid-sized sedan. It's quiet, comfortable, handles well, and has gotten over 50 mpg in city and highway driving the first week of operation. Fit and finish is outstanding. According to CR, reliability should be well above average. So far, I'm very satisfied with the car. I was interested in waiting for the new 2010 model but was able to save thousands by purchasing one of the last of the 09s.

High Tech, fuel economy, drive comfort, quiet ride, fit and finish, interior room, hatchback.

power adjust and heated seats, duel zone heating and air conditioning

Fun!
By Conway

So I just got my package 6 Prius two weeks ago and love it! I traded in my BMW Z4 for it so I was really worried about it not having enough power since that was what I was used to but I am pleasantly surprised. I have driven it a lot already, about 1,000 miles and have averaged 45.9 mpg mostly freeway. It is extremely smooth, leather is much nicer then I thought and the keyless go, JBL, navi, back up camera and bluetooth are all amazing!

All of it!

Power and heated seats, auto headlights and auto windshield wipers