Used 2009 Toyota Prius Standard Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...
By rhodeislandred

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For transparency purposes, I must disclose that I grossly underestimated my love for the 'driving experience', and that I live in New England.

1. Cold weather made gas bladder (tank) shring from 12 gallons to 9, resulting in more frequent stops at the gas stations.
And no, it does not 'expand' when the weather warmed up.
Did I mention the wildly inaccurate fuel gauge?

2. Zero lumbar support makes it uncomfortable for those long drives you'll be taking since the mileage is so great.

3. Speaking of great mileage, it's the best feature, as long as the weather is warm and the pavement dry.
New England only meets that criteria 25% of the year.
I averaged 30 mpgs. in the cold weather.

(Cont.) 4. The straw that broke the camels back was driving in 1 inch of slushy snow, and having the engine cut. This is a 'safety' feature designed to protect the hybrid engine, but the result was sliding into a side walk with very little control over the vehicle. You can amuse yourself with more stories like this by googling "driving prius in the snow'. My previous driving experience were with Mazda (to which I returned), and my ABS light only activated once. This was a weekly occurrence with the Prius due to anything but drv pavement; it even happened when travelling over railroad tracks. 5. My car had a rear camera; still very difficult to see the rear view.

(Cont.) 6. Absolutely no pick up when trying to use the passing lane on the highway. 7. Factory tires may have contributed to poor driving experiences (see #4 above). There may have been other things I hated, but I could be benefiting from repressed memory syndrome. I would never recommend this car to anyone other than a little old lady that only drives in nice weather on local roads (or maybe to someone I really disliked!). Hope this is helpful.

Nice, dependable car!
By lia_lee

I just recently bought my 09 toyota prius yesterday, and I would have to say it's a beauty! I do love it, although I dont think it was worth the amount I got it for. The driver door lock does not seem to work while using the FOB. By this, I have to lock the driver door before getting out of the car to ensure that all the doors are locked. For me to get in, I have unlock the car using the FOB, get in the passenger side to unlock the drivers door for me or the driver to get in. I did some research and it seems like I'm not the only with the problem. I guess it has something to do with the electric lock solenoid inside the door. I probably was too excited to check and make sure of these things.

Things I like about this car, I would have to say the exterior. The exterior is beautiful. I especially love looking at the back because it just looks different and unique from other cars. I also like the deck and the way how the gauges are set. Very amazing and high tech I would have to say.

Not so great. Read this review.
By Centrist49

Lots of rattles while driving. Also, if you want another "key" the dealer charges $300 (yes, three hundred). MPG is great, right at 50 MPG. Has Toyota's cheap, cheap carpet and floor mats. You'll want to buy something to put on top of either or expect worn out, thread bare mats/carpet. Maintenance costs are astronomical (good thing you save on fuel cost to pay for any maint. required). Also, road noise will drown out radio at 60+ mph.

Definitely the mpg and the incredible air conditioner.

Needs to be quieter. Road noise is excessive. New key shouldn't cost $300.

Gas Mileage
By KO

Thought it would be good to be ecologically thoughtful and bought a Prius. Other than the good gas mileage, everything else about the vehicle just ticks us off. Seats are lousy, can't see out the back, if something breaks it will cost you a fortune because the average do-it-yourself person can't even change the headlight bulb. If all you are interested in is getting from point A to point B with using as little fuel as possible, this is the car for you. If you plan on driving more than 10 miles or hauling anything, buy a mini-van. You won't get 45 mpg but you can get a nice one for 1/3 the cost of this Prius. 20K buys A LOT of gasoline and you can ride around in comfort with tons of space.

Fuel economy....that about it.

Don't get me started...

Overall Feels Like a Toy Car
By rent11

I've had this car for a little over 6 months and am HATING the car. I'm not hating the car because its a bad car, it was just not the right car for me. I was coming from 2006 Volvo S60R which had the most comfortable seats ever. The Prius' seats lack any support and whats with no power seat option. I added every conceivable option to my Prius including Navigation, Bluetooth, Smartkey, JBL Audio and leather and I still can't stand this car. I know this car is meant for Fuel Economy but Toyota could have spent some money on comfort.

Smartkey Access, Bluetooth, Fuel Economy