2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews 2

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Comes Up Short On Fuel Economy
By no on 03/16/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a 2006 Prius prior to this Prius. No major complaints with either one except for reduced MPG on the 2009 Touring. I averaged 44 MPG on the 2006 but only get about 41 MPG on the 2009.I live in a small "city"(10,000 people) and my in-city MPG is approximately 38.5 MPG. I make up the difference on my round trips to Albuquerque. Seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips but manageable in the city.

Better than expected Performance
By John on 01/17/10 21:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2009 Prius really could have more comfortable seats with power adjustment but I was very surprised after putting good ice/snowtires how well it performs on the winter roads. I was worried about driving the Prius on the busy Interstate Hwy 5 in California where everyone drives at 80 mph or more but the Prius handles well and performs well with good passing power between 60-80 mph. Pleasantly surprised with the power at the higher speeds compared to other small 4 cylinder cars. I also found the visibility out the back window better than most of the vehicles I have owned.

good car with a few minor problems
By ps on 01/11/10 05:34 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall a good practical car that I would purchase again. Gas mileage is greatly reduced in cold weather and on short trips. (motor need to warm up) Remove the rear center head rest so you can see better when backing up. Heater is not as powerful as with my other Toyota.

Gas Mileage
By KO on 12/11/09 06:34 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Thought it would be good to be ecologically thoughtful and bought a Prius. Other than the good gas mileage, everything else about the vehicle just ticks us off. Seats are lousy, can't see out the back, if something breaks it will cost you a fortune because the average do-it-yourself person can't even change the headlight bulb. If all you are interested in is getting from point A to point B with using as little fuel as possible, this is the car for you. If you plan on driving more than 10 miles or hauling anything, buy a mini-van. You won't get 45 mpg but you can get a nice one for 1/3 the cost of this Prius. 20K buys A LOT of gasoline and you can ride around in comfort with tons of space.

Overall Feels Like a Toy Car
By rent11 on 12/06/09 11:59 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car for a little over 6 months and am HATING the car. I'm not hating the car because its a bad car, it was just not the right car for me. I was coming from 2006 Volvo S60R which had the most comfortable seats ever. The Prius' seats lack any support and whats with no power seat option. I added every conceivable option to my Prius including Navigation, Bluetooth, Smartkey, JBL Audio and leather and I still can't stand this car. I know this car is meant for Fuel Economy but Toyota could have spent some money on comfort.

Surprised me!
By Thom Bailey on 12/06/09 03:46 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife wanted the Prius very badly and I was really turned off by the looks, but we took a test drive anyway about a year and a half ago. I was very surprised by the quality of the ride and handling. I still am surprised every time I drive the car. We live in the snowbelt of Ohio and with winter tires the vehicle is very dependable in snow and ice. I'd seriously think of getting a second Prius when the time comes.

Love my Prius
By dougb61 on 10/13/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Although the 2009 looks pretty much like every Prius since the 2004 redesign I think it's still a good looking car. For a small car the interior is spacious, lots of leg room even in the back seat. The seats recline to an almost flat position if needed. The rear seats lay flat opening up the storage space of the hatchback for plenty of storage. Up front there are two glove compartments, a small compartment under the radio, a sunglasses compartment overhead, and two large compartments between the seats. On the road I find the Prius has plenty of get-up-and-go when needed and the touchscreen display gives me the feedback I need to maximize my fuel economy.

Hate it and selling for Subaru
By Liz on 09/21/09 04:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Always had Toyotas until 1999 then got OUTBACK and loved it. Sold it for this new 2009 Prius. Only have 2,600 and HATE the car. Quality is cheap...metal dents easily, interior is cheaply done, little storage room and I am single with one medium sized dog and one little dog...Selling this to buy used low mileage Subaru Impreza...(regret purchase and will not buy another Toyota...they make them too CHEAP now. Shame on them...the old ones were GREAT...pre 1998)...no longer! Hate touch screen..always dirty.

2009 Prius
By GrammyB on 09/18/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just had our 5000 mile maintenance check in out 2009 Prius. We test drove a couple cars before buying the Prius. We love our car. It is comfy and of course the gas mileage is great. When we were looking we had 2 cars in mind to compare (one being the Prius) and the other being a Honda Civic hybrid. We thought we would lean towards the Honda as we owned one before, there is no comparison between the 2, the Pruis won hands down.

What about hidden maintenance costs?
By Ken C on 09/02/09 12:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Prius for 36k miles. My love is simply summarized Ė 48 MPG! But will fuel savings be lost to unexpected maintenance costs? My car isnít old enough to have real maintenance issues yet, but Iím wary. The engineers were great at building a complex car with great gas mileage, but lousy at creating a car that can be easily maintained. There's no room under the hood, so there's no way to do a simple DIY like replacing a headlight without extensive work. I tried DIY, but gave up. In the end, the dealer replaced it (in about two hours of labor) for $200+ (for a $10 bulb?!). Thatís crazy talk man! People need to know up front that there could be high unforeseen maintenance costs.