2009 Toyota Prius Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2009 Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Sort Reviews by

My second Prius
By soboy

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife has a 2005 Prius that we bought new and she loves it, so I sold my truck which got 14 mpg and bought a 2009 Prius touring. I just decided I wanted to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I got every option except leather. I am averaging 50 mpg over the last 6000 miles. Incredible mpg! I love the bluetooth, navigation, HID lights, smartkey and steering wheel controls. The touring model handles better than the standard Prius. Although I grew up in the muscle car era, the world is a far different place now. Global warming, peak oil and environmental destruction must be dealt with responsibly. Wasting resources is not a path to a sustainable future.

Favorite Features

50 mpg, very low emissions, engine shuts off at idle, great navigation system, bluetooth, HID lights, smart key, futuristic in its concept and styling, very practical body style. The Prius encourages you to drive responsibly and the driving experience is very calming.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality of interior materials, less rattles, it would be great to see the next generation Prius have both more power and better mpg.

Comes Up Short On Fuel Economy
By no

I had a 2006 Prius prior to this Prius. No major complaints with either one except for reduced MPG on the 2009 Touring. I averaged 44 MPG on the 2006 but only get about 41 MPG on the 2009.I live in a small "city"(10,000 people) and my in-city MPG is approximately 38.5 MPG. I make up the difference on my round trips to Albuquerque. Seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips but manageable in the city.

Favorite Features

Nav System, Bluetooth, JBL System.Hatchback-lots of room for materials

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Lights Off feature when arriving at destination at night; All day headlights;Automatic Windshield Wipers.

Better than expected Performance
By John

2009 Prius really could have more comfortable seats with power adjustment but I was very surprised after putting good ice/snowtires how well it performs on the winter roads. I was worried about driving the Prius on the busy Interstate Hwy 5 in California where everyone drives at 80 mph or more but the Prius handles well and performs well with good passing power between 60-80 mph. Pleasantly surprised with the power at the higher speeds compared to other small 4 cylinder cars. I also found the visibility out the back window better than most of the vehicles I have owned.

Favorite Features

Navigation System and fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats with power adjustment.

good car with a few minor problems
By ps

Overall a good practical car that I would purchase again. Gas mileage is greatly reduced in cold weather and on short trips. (motor need to warm up) Remove the rear center head rest so you can see better when backing up. Heater is not as powerful as with my other Toyota.

Favorite Features

Great use of space.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater.

Love my Prius
By dougb61

Although the 2009 looks pretty much like every Prius since the 2004 redesign I think it's still a good looking car. For a small car the interior is spacious, lots of leg room even in the back seat. The seats recline to an almost flat position if needed. The rear seats lay flat opening up the storage space of the hatchback for plenty of storage. Up front there are two glove compartments, a small compartment under the radio, a sunglasses compartment overhead, and two large compartments between the seats. On the road I find the Prius has plenty of get-up-and-go when needed and the touchscreen display gives me the feedback I need to maximize my fuel economy.

Favorite Features

46+ MPG, Bluetooth, touch screen display, lots of storage room, smartkey system, digital speedometer, smooth and quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a couple more 12V DC outlets, two is not enough for today's wired world. Visibility out the rear is poor.

Value for Money Finally
By Happy Prius Owner

We purchased our new Prius in Dec 08 and promptly drove from Florida to CA and back. 5900 miles with no problems and $125 in gas costs for the entire trip. Since then we have put another 17000 miles on it with NO problems mechanical or otherwise. I am looking forward to purchasing another in the not to distant future. Excellent value for money. Gas mileage after the first 6000 miles went from 47 highway and 49 city to 48 highway and 51 around town. Got to love the savings. Cruising speed is comfortably up to 80 interstate with no significant loss of economy. A pleasure passing the clunkers going over the great divide.

Favorite Features

Easy of handling and parking.

Suggested Improvements

Need another power outlet in the back for passengers use for phone recharge and laptops.

As advertised
By peter

Does what it has to do well. Looking through the real window can be a problem. Plenty of room for a car of its size. Gas mileage on short trips is not real good but wonderful when warmed up.

Favorite Features

Room and flexibility. Smart key is neat.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not that great for long trips. Real visibility needs improvement. (camera helpful). Heated seats would be nice.

Very good car
By rodman

I am more than happy with my car, I test drove Insight and Prius in same day and I can tell that insight has a really cheap interior and shakes really bad when it switches from gas to electric and vice versa. But prius runs really smooth and it's really fun to drive. GO prius.

Favorite Features

Nice interior, good voice recognition system. Smooth driving.

Suggested Improvements

nothing so far

2009 Prius
By Gail

Just got the car, I love it. I can't believe the gas mileage. It's very comfortable and roomy.

Favorite Features

navigation

Suggested Improvements

voice recognition

After 2500 miles
By jsw

2 months later... it's taken that long to get used to the driver's seat and call it comfortable. It is particularly spirited off-the-line until 40 mpg (the electric motor's torque) 40-60 is a little dicey. Once on highway, this car can get out of traffic quickly. Mileage in mixed driving is around 42 mpg. I no longer worry about the gas bladder. I go plenty of miles before fill-up for very little money!

Favorite Features

Interior layout and space, HID headlights, mileage and ride (good crosswind resistance)

Suggested Improvements

little more power (2010 has it); skid control too sensitive, better color choices