Used 2009 Toyota Prius Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

My second Prius
By soboy

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife has a 2005 Prius that we bought new and she loves it, so I sold my truck which got 14 mpg and bought a 2009 Prius touring. I just decided I wanted to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I got every option except leather. I am averaging 50 mpg over the last 6000 miles. Incredible mpg! I love the bluetooth, navigation, HID lights, smartkey and steering wheel controls. The touring model handles better than the standard Prius. Although I grew up in the muscle car era, the world is a far different place now. Global warming, peak oil and environmental destruction must be dealt with responsibly. Wasting resources is not a path to a sustainable future.

50 mpg, very low emissions, engine shuts off at idle, great navigation system, bluetooth, HID lights, smart key, futuristic in its concept and styling, very practical body style. The Prius encourages you to drive responsibly and the driving experience is very calming.

Higher quality of interior materials, less rattles, it would be great to see the next generation Prius have both more power and better mpg.

Comes Up Short On Fuel Economy
By no

I had a 2006 Prius prior to this Prius. No major complaints with either one except for reduced MPG on the 2009 Touring. I averaged 44 MPG on the 2006 but only get about 41 MPG on the 2009.I live in a small "city"(10,000 people) and my in-city MPG is approximately 38.5 MPG. I make up the difference on my round trips to Albuquerque. Seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips but manageable in the city.

Nav System, Bluetooth, JBL System.Hatchback-lots of room for materials

Automatic Lights Off feature when arriving at destination at night; All day headlights;Automatic Windshield Wipers.

Better than expected Performance
By John

2009 Prius really could have more comfortable seats with power adjustment but I was very surprised after putting good ice/snowtires how well it performs on the winter roads. I was worried about driving the Prius on the busy Interstate Hwy 5 in California where everyone drives at 80 mph or more but the Prius handles well and performs well with good passing power between 60-80 mph. Pleasantly surprised with the power at the higher speeds compared to other small 4 cylinder cars. I also found the visibility out the back window better than most of the vehicles I have owned.

Navigation System and fuel mileage.

More comfortable seats with power adjustment.

good car with a few minor problems
By ps

Overall a good practical car that I would purchase again. Gas mileage is greatly reduced in cold weather and on short trips. (motor need to warm up) Remove the rear center head rest so you can see better when backing up. Heater is not as powerful as with my other Toyota.

Great use of space.

Better heater.

Love my Prius
By dougb61

Although the 2009 looks pretty much like every Prius since the 2004 redesign I think it's still a good looking car. For a small car the interior is spacious, lots of leg room even in the back seat. The seats recline to an almost flat position if needed. The rear seats lay flat opening up the storage space of the hatchback for plenty of storage. Up front there are two glove compartments, a small compartment under the radio, a sunglasses compartment overhead, and two large compartments between the seats. On the road I find the Prius has plenty of get-up-and-go when needed and the touchscreen display gives me the feedback I need to maximize my fuel economy.

46+ MPG, Bluetooth, touch screen display, lots of storage room, smartkey system, digital speedometer, smooth and quiet ride.

I'd like a couple more 12V DC outlets, two is not enough for today's wired world. Visibility out the rear is poor.