2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Best car out there!!
By 09priusman on 03/11/11 13:17 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2009 Toyota Prius about 3 weeks ago preowned with 39,000 miles. I love it!!! I traded my 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS in for it. I drive 120 miles a day to work so I needed something really good on gas. This was it!!! I have been averaging 41- 46 mpg all the time. The other night I drove 60 miles home from a firends house. It was over an hour drive on a back rd of Maine which I drove 55-60mph. I got home and got 48mpg all the way. (I have the pic to prove it)The secret is to get up speed and maintain it. I spend a lot of time only using my electric motor at 45-55 mph just maintaining my speed. It takes some getting used to but once you do youll love playing the mpg game :) this 2009 prius is amazing in the snow. I live in Maine and travel the highway 120 miles a day for work. Its awesome in the snow. Just walks right through everything. I pass every car on the highway. It goes through slush like its not even there. From a stop the traction control works great!!!

not good in wet and snow
By leon on 04/16/10 16:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is only good during dry weather and gives 45+ mpg average. During the last 2 winter season I always get worried I may not make it home because on uphill it would not make it. I always have to make a detour to reach home. In rainy or wet road -- slippage, the sensor get crazy. How come other small cars can make it on uphill with snow? Do I have to replace the tires that are more responsive to wet and snow? But these are the recommended tires for this car. I only have 21,000 miles to date. This is fun to drive but only on a dry road but not good on wet and snowy road of New Jersey.

Hate it and selling for Subaru
By Liz on 09/21/09 04:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Always had Toyotas until 1999 then got OUTBACK and loved it. Sold it for this new 2009 Prius. Only have 2,600 and HATE the car. Quality is cheap...metal dents easily, interior is cheaply done, little storage room and I am single with one medium sized dog and one little dog...Selling this to buy used low mileage Subaru Impreza...(regret purchase and will not buy another Toyota...they make them too CHEAP now. Shame on them...the old ones were GREAT...pre 1998)...no longer! Hate touch screen..always dirty.

2009 Prius
By GrammyB on 09/18/09 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just had our 5000 mile maintenance check in out 2009 Prius. We test drove a couple cars before buying the Prius. We love our car. It is comfy and of course the gas mileage is great. When we were looking we had 2 cars in mind to compare (one being the Prius) and the other being a Honda Civic hybrid. We thought we would lean towards the Honda as we owned one before, there is no comparison between the 2, the Pruis won hands down.

What about hidden maintenance costs?
By Ken C on 09/02/09 12:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Prius for 36k miles. My love is simply summarized – 48 MPG! But will fuel savings be lost to unexpected maintenance costs? My car isn’t old enough to have real maintenance issues yet, but I’m wary. The engineers were great at building a complex car with great gas mileage, but lousy at creating a car that can be easily maintained. There's no room under the hood, so there's no way to do a simple DIY like replacing a headlight without extensive work. I tried DIY, but gave up. In the end, the dealer replaced it (in about two hours of labor) for $200+ (for a $10 bulb?!). That’s crazy talk man! People need to know up front that there could be high unforeseen maintenance costs.

From Mercedes to Toyota
By Bobby on 08/14/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I cannot say how much I enjoy my 2009 Toyota Prius. I used to drive a Mercedes SUV and never thought of getting used to a smaller car. Honestly I do not miss my SUV or the amount of money that I paid for every service and other things. This car is far beyond of what I expected. I carry same amount of stuffs that I used to carry in the back of my SUV. Just fold the back seats and you got all the room you need. It is a good car for any age group that has a great style. Way to go Toyota.

Best Ecconomy car Availabel
By George on 06/27/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius 1 June 2009. At first I had trouble getting used to the electronic displays, but after driving one week I became accustomed with them. The most important reason for buying the Prius was its reliability, the CVT transmission and the fuel economy. After driving 1400 miles I am averaging 50 miles per gallon overall. In city driving I get about 45 mpg, I live in a hilly area. On the highway I get about 53 mpg. The electronic display help one economize fuel if you desire so.

Beats the the Civic hands down
By SteveB on 06/17/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the Prius May 2009 and love it. Had one as a rental car for a week and decided then that my next car was going to be a Prius. Thanks to Toyota's 0% interest, I'm not a liar. We are averaging about 46 mpg with mostly interstate driving and some city. I have averaged as high as mid 50's on the interstate while still doing approx 65 mph. I think my wife just has a heavy foot when she drives. Traded in a 07 Civic and WOW, the Prius beats the Civic in every category, especially comfort and performance. I no longer feel like I am driving a college kid's car. The dealer had aftermarket leather installed on the seats, but gave me a great deal on this car.

MPG Machine
By Bone11241124 on 06/14/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the car specifically for maxing out my mpg and it's lived up to its billing. In the 3 months I've been driving it I average 62 mpg city/53 mpg highway/58 mpg combined (well above the combined 47 mpg EPA rating). Comfort and styling are above average in my opinion. Overall power is below average... but I didn't buy this car for the power. Great commuter car as it has already saved me $200 in gas compared to my former vehicle (2005 Toyota 4runner). You can find alternate commuter cars at a better price but not with this much comfort/styling or getting this good of mileage!

A Great Mix of Gas and Electricity
By Joe in Iowa on 06/07/09 11:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have now owned my Base Prius-Package 6 for 7 mos and 7,700 mi. I love it with a couple of exceptions. First, it is best if you are not over 5'10" sitting in the front passenger seat. Second, the navigation system is a waste (spend $200 on a Garmin). The actual mileage I have had has ranged from 35-37 mpg (winter) to 44-48 mpg in the above freezing months. My dealer said this is a more realistic expectation than the published numbers. Otherwise, it drives great (expect performance commensurate with its horsepower),the interior toys and quality are terrific, and I would definitely buy another one. The leather seat covering is great, but for almost $30,000 I would expect elect. seats.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$105 per month*