Used 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Great Economy Car
By G Honey

Reliable and comfortable

Peaceful and Content
By Phillip

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First owned new vehicle ever. Absolutely flawless vehicle never had any trouble the only thing that needed to be replaced was the belt and the oil and the air filters. I departed my vehicle at 177,000 miles only because I had to upgrade to a larger car. Very sad day.

Great Car - Bought Used
By silver7577@aol.com

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Didn't know much about a hybrid before but now have a great respect for them. But not all hybrids are worth the money but this one is in this writer's opinion. Love to jump in and run my errands and even take it on longer trips.

Magnificent, but Dreadfully Boring
By Bob Sandon

I have put approximately 143,000 miles on this car. I bought it new. Oil changes with premium synthetic every 25,000 miles; otherwise, no service (except changing out tires). I've only had to replace the electric-system battery (pay someone to do this; it's a nightmare on your own).

Pros: Reliability, obviously. There is also more storage space than many people realize, especially with the seats down. Two shepherds fit comfortably in the trunk; I've made several moves with this car. The mileage has been good, especially with Ecotopia tires. I live in Minnesota; I averaged around ~53 mpg during the summer with them. I have Toyos right now; year round mileage with them has been ~43 mpg, mostly highway driving. The car is comfortable and quiet at lower speeds. I like the sound system and have found the GPS adequate. The keyless entry is surprisingly nice; I wish it had remote start.

Cons: While the car while tolerate higher speeds (65 mph +), it's obviously unenthusiastic. The mileage dips fairly dramatically in the winter, or with inefficient tires. For that matter, snow tires are well-nigh essential in Minnesota with this car. All-season will not hack it, especially in rural areas. Mostly, though, this car is boring. Really boring. Eye-wateringly so. A fantastic daily commuter, but - if you can only have one car in your stable - I'd have to recommend something else.

excellent car
By michealb

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in 2011 with 30k miles on it. It now has 230K and the only thing I have replaced is 2 headlight bulbs. Had regular service every 5000 miles. Driven everyday for business and personal use on the interstate, up and down mountains and regularly maintained good mpg. Started off around 47mpg and still around 44mpg even after 200K miles added to the odo. I am 6ft. Interior cabin was a little small for me but other capacities made up for lack of comfort. My wife was recently in an accident and the prius held its own. Protected her in a 65mph crash. Unfortunately it was beyond repair. Will purchase another and hope it will serve as good as this one.

Great MPG, and reliability...People always surprised to get passed by a Prius!!!

A little more space for front seat drivers.