2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Zero problems
By dickthebutcher on 01/22/14 17:25 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2009 Prius new and have now driven it for almost five years. It has just over 70,000 miles on it, and so far the only maintenance expenses I've had are oil changes and one new set of tires. It still has the original brakes and they still aren't showing signs of wear. I'm not sure why so many others find the car uncomfortable -- I'm six feet tall and have no problems. I've driven to Florida from Pennsylvania in it and was never uncomfortable. Minor gripes: The gas tank does not fill up willingly after it's about 80% full. You have to coax in the last few gallons little by little. I don't love its looks, either, but accept that trade-off to average 47 MPG year-round.

Amazed
By hybridamir1990 on 06/14/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

I have owned many different cars, Jeep, Ford, Nissan, Pontiac and so on. I HATED all of them. from reliability to comfort to fuel economy. I have alwasy be skeptical about buying a hybrid but one day I was so fed up with the vehicle I owned, I went straight to Toyota and traded it in for a 2008 Toyota Prius. Two years later, it is still the best automotive decision I have ever made. Although it does have some road noise, the ride is amazing and smooth. I see alot of complaints about the comfort of the seats but I find them more then suitable, there smooth, soft and comfortable enough to seat five people. I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania and I am a Prius driver for life.

Not comfortable....
By indian77 on 03/12/13 13:12 PM (PDT)

The car is great, the comfort level is not so good. What this car lacks is what the latest certain Prius models have improved upon. There is no power driver seat, so finding that sweet spot for driving is a real challenge. For example, you will be finding yourself reaching out for that steering wheel when you are in a comfortable position. That will put strain on your arms while driving. There is no lower back support, so for long drives that can be for hours, this is a lower back killer. Make sure you do your daily stretches to overcome the physical drawbacks of sitting in this car.

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...
By rhodeislandred on 06/02/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

For transparency purposes, I must disclose that I grossly underestimated my love for the 'driving experience', and that I live in New England. 1. Cold weather made gas bladder (tank) shring from 12 gallons to 9, resulting in more frequent stops at the gas stations. And no, it does not 'expand' when the weather warmed up. Did I mention the wildly inaccurate fuel gauge? 2. Zero lumbar support makes it uncomfortable for those long drives you'll be taking since the mileage is so great. 3. Speaking of great mileage, it's the best feature, as long as the weather is warm and the pavement dry. New England only meets that criteria 25% of the year. I averaged 30 mpgs. in the cold weather.

Nice, dependable car!
By lia_lee on 01/22/12 11:20 AM (PST)

I just recently bought my 09 toyota prius yesterday, and I would have to say it's a beauty! I do love it, although I dont think it was worth the amount I got it for. The driver door lock does not seem to work while using the FOB. By this, I have to lock the driver door before getting out of the car to ensure that all the doors are locked. For me to get in, I have unlock the car using the FOB, get in the passenger side to unlock the drivers door for me or the driver to get in. I did some research and it seems like I'm not the only with the problem. I guess it has something to do with the electric lock solenoid inside the door. I probably was too excited to check and make sure of these things.

Best car out there!!
By 09priusman on 03/11/11 13:17 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2009 Toyota Prius about 3 weeks ago preowned with 39,000 miles. I love it!!! I traded my 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS in for it. I drive 120 miles a day to work so I needed something really good on gas. This was it!!! I have been averaging 41- 46 mpg all the time. The other night I drove 60 miles home from a firends house. It was over an hour drive on a back rd of Maine which I drove 55-60mph. I got home and got 48mpg all the way. (I have the pic to prove it)The secret is to get up speed and maintain it. I spend a lot of time only using my electric motor at 45-55 mph just maintaining my speed. It takes some getting used to but once you do youll love playing the mpg game :) this 2009 prius is amazing in the snow. I live in Maine and travel the highway 120 miles a day for work. Its awesome in the snow. Just walks right through everything. I pass every car on the highway. It goes through slush like its not even there. From a stop the traction control works great!!!

Not so great. Read this review.
By Centrist49 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Lots of rattles while driving. Also, if you want another "key" the dealer charges $300 (yes, three hundred). MPG is great, right at 50 MPG. Has Toyota's cheap, cheap carpet and floor mats. You'll want to buy something to put on top of either or expect worn out, thread bare mats/carpet. Maintenance costs are astronomical (good thing you save on fuel cost to pay for any maint. required). Also, road noise will drown out radio at 60+ mph.

My second Prius
By soboy on 05/30/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife has a 2005 Prius that we bought new and she loves it, so I sold my truck which got 14 mpg and bought a 2009 Prius touring. I just decided I wanted to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I got every option except leather. I am averaging 50 mpg over the last 6000 miles. Incredible mpg! I love the bluetooth, navigation, HID lights, smartkey and steering wheel controls. The touring model handles better than the standard Prius. Although I grew up in the muscle car era, the world is a far different place now. Global warming, peak oil and environmental destruction must be dealt with responsibly. Wasting resources is not a path to a sustainable future.

not good in wet and snow
By leon on 04/16/10 16:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is only good during dry weather and gives 45+ mpg average. During the last 2 winter season I always get worried I may not make it home because on uphill it would not make it. I always have to make a detour to reach home. In rainy or wet road -- slippage, the sensor get crazy. How come other small cars can make it on uphill with snow? Do I have to replace the tires that are more responsive to wet and snow? But these are the recommended tires for this car. I only have 21,000 miles to date. This is fun to drive but only on a dry road but not good on wet and snowy road of New Jersey.

Comes Up Short On Fuel Economy
By no on 03/16/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

I had a 2006 Prius prior to this Prius. No major complaints with either one except for reduced MPG on the 2009 Touring. I averaged 44 MPG on the 2006 but only get about 41 MPG on the 2009.I live in a small "city"(10,000 people) and my in-city MPG is approximately 38.5 MPG. I make up the difference on my round trips to Albuquerque. Seats are a little uncomfortable on long trips but manageable in the city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$104 per month*