Used 2009 Toyota Prius Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

excellent car
By michealb

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in 2011 with 30k miles on it. It now has 230K and the only thing I have replaced is 2 headlight bulbs. Had regular service every 5000 miles. Driven everyday for business and personal use on the interstate, up and down mountains and regularly maintained good mpg. Started off around 47mpg and still around 44mpg even after 200K miles added to the odo. I am 6ft. Interior cabin was a little small for me but other capacities made up for lack of comfort. My wife was recently in an accident and the prius held its own. Protected her in a 65mph crash. Unfortunately it was beyond repair. Will purchase another and hope it will serve as good as this one.

Favorite Features

Great MPG, and reliability...People always surprised to get passed by a Prius!!!

Suggested Improvements

A little more space for front seat drivers.

Best car out there!!
By 09priusman

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2009 Toyota Prius about 3 weeks ago preowned with 39,000 miles. I love it!!! I traded my 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS in for it. I drive 120 miles a day to work so I needed something really good on gas. This was it!!! I have been averaging 41- 46 mpg all the time. The other night I drove 60 miles home from a firends house. It was over an hour drive on a back rd of Maine which I drove 55-60mph. I got home and got 48mpg all the way. (I have the pic to prove it)The secret is to get up speed and maintain it. I spend a lot of time only using my electric motor at 45-55 mph just maintaining my speed. It takes some getting used to but once you do youll love playing the mpg game :) this 2009 prius is amazing in the snow. I live in Maine and travel the highway 120 miles a day for work. Its awesome in the snow. Just walks right through everything. I pass every car on the highway. It goes through slush like its not even there. From a stop the traction control works great!!!

Favorite Features

Back up camera, 46mpg all the time, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats, a gallons till empty option on the dash, gallons used option and gallons left.

not good in wet and snow
By leon

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Prius is only good during dry weather and gives 45+ mpg average. During the last 2 winter season I always get worried I may not make it home because on uphill it would not make it. I always have to make a detour to reach home. In rainy or wet road -- slippage, the sensor get crazy. How come other small cars can make it on uphill with snow? Do I have to replace the tires that are more responsive to wet and snow? But these are the recommended tires for this car. I only have 21,000 miles to date. This is fun to drive but only on a dry road but not good on wet and snowy road of New Jersey.

Favorite Features

nav, mpg, bluetooth, interior space

Suggested Improvements

review recommended tires performance for the car.i read tires review of original prius tires and they are BAD - only 2 stars.is this part of cost reduction?

Hate it and selling for Subaru
By Liz

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Always had Toyotas until 1999 then got OUTBACK and loved it. Sold it for this new 2009 Prius. Only have 2,600 and HATE the car. Quality is cheap...metal dents easily, interior is cheaply done, little storage room and I am single with one medium sized dog and one little dog...Selling this to buy used low mileage Subaru Impreza...(regret purchase and will not buy another Toyota...they make them too CHEAP now. Shame on them...the old ones were GREAT...pre 1998)...no longer! Hate touch screen..always dirty.

Favorite Features

push button start and mileage

Suggested Improvements

Improve metal...dents and scratches without effort ! Upholstery material is the cheapest I have seen...horrible. Too high in REAR...2010's are better in interior...got rid of touchscreen.

2009 Prius
By GrammyB

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just had our 5000 mile maintenance check in out 2009 Prius. We test drove a couple cars before buying the Prius. We love our car. It is comfy and of course the gas mileage is great. When we were looking we had 2 cars in mind to compare (one being the Prius) and the other being a Honda Civic hybrid. We thought we would lean towards the Honda as we owned one before, there is no comparison between the 2, the Pruis won hands down.

Favorite Features

Of course the gas mileage...ease of driving.

Suggested Improvements

Clock could go on the big screen so u could see it, rear window could be a little bit more user friendly, I wish u could download pictures onto screen like a desktop or something. We have not had any problems but husband has already said this is not a car he will DIY on.