2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Zero problems
By dickthebutcher on 01/22/14 17:25 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2009 Prius new and have now driven it for almost five years. It has just over 70,000 miles on it, and so far the only maintenance expenses I've had are oil changes and one new set of tires. It still has the original brakes and they still aren't showing signs of wear. I'm not sure why so many others find the car uncomfortable -- I'm six feet tall and have no problems. I've driven to Florida from Pennsylvania in it and was never uncomfortable. Minor gripes: The gas tank does not fill up willingly after it's about 80% full. You have to coax in the last few gallons little by little. I don't love its looks, either, but accept that trade-off to average 47 MPG year-round.

Amazed
By hybridamir1990 on 06/14/13 15:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned many different cars, Jeep, Ford, Nissan, Pontiac and so on. I HATED all of them. from reliability to comfort to fuel economy. I have alwasy be skeptical about buying a hybrid but one day I was so fed up with the vehicle I owned, I went straight to Toyota and traded it in for a 2008 Toyota Prius. Two years later, it is still the best automotive decision I have ever made. Although it does have some road noise, the ride is amazing and smooth. I see alot of complaints about the comfort of the seats but I find them more then suitable, there smooth, soft and comfortable enough to seat five people. I live in North Eastern Pennsylvania and I am a Prius driver for life.

Not comfortable....
By indian77 on 03/12/13 13:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is great, the comfort level is not so good. What this car lacks is what the latest certain Prius models have improved upon. There is no power driver seat, so finding that sweet spot for driving is a real challenge. For example, you will be finding yourself reaching out for that steering wheel when you are in a comfortable position. That will put strain on your arms while driving. There is no lower back support, so for long drives that can be for hours, this is a lower back killer. Make sure you do your daily stretches to overcome the physical drawbacks of sitting in this car.

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...
By rhodeislandred on 06/02/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For transparency purposes, I must disclose that I grossly underestimated my love for the 'driving experience', and that I live in New England. 1. Cold weather made gas bladder (tank) shring from 12 gallons to 9, resulting in more frequent stops at the gas stations. And no, it does not 'expand' when the weather warmed up. Did I mention the wildly inaccurate fuel gauge? 2. Zero lumbar support makes it uncomfortable for those long drives you'll be taking since the mileage is so great. 3. Speaking of great mileage, it's the best feature, as long as the weather is warm and the pavement dry. New England only meets that criteria 25% of the year. I averaged 30 mpgs. in the cold weather.

Nice, dependable car!
By lia_lee on 01/22/12 11:20 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just recently bought my 09 toyota prius yesterday, and I would have to say it's a beauty! I do love it, although I dont think it was worth the amount I got it for. The driver door lock does not seem to work while using the FOB. By this, I have to lock the driver door before getting out of the car to ensure that all the doors are locked. For me to get in, I have unlock the car using the FOB, get in the passenger side to unlock the drivers door for me or the driver to get in. I did some research and it seems like I'm not the only with the problem. I guess it has something to do with the electric lock solenoid inside the door. I probably was too excited to check and make sure of these things.

Not so great. Read this review.
By Centrist49 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Lots of rattles while driving. Also, if you want another "key" the dealer charges $300 (yes, three hundred). MPG is great, right at 50 MPG. Has Toyota's cheap, cheap carpet and floor mats. You'll want to buy something to put on top of either or expect worn out, thread bare mats/carpet. Maintenance costs are astronomical (good thing you save on fuel cost to pay for any maint. required). Also, road noise will drown out radio at 60+ mph.

Gas Mileage
By KO on 12/11/09 06:34 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Thought it would be good to be ecologically thoughtful and bought a Prius. Other than the good gas mileage, everything else about the vehicle just ticks us off. Seats are lousy, can't see out the back, if something breaks it will cost you a fortune because the average do-it-yourself person can't even change the headlight bulb. If all you are interested in is getting from point A to point B with using as little fuel as possible, this is the car for you. If you plan on driving more than 10 miles or hauling anything, buy a mini-van. You won't get 45 mpg but you can get a nice one for 1/3 the cost of this Prius. 20K buys A LOT of gasoline and you can ride around in comfort with tons of space.

Overall Feels Like a Toy Car
By rent11 on 12/06/09 11:59 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car for a little over 6 months and am HATING the car. I'm not hating the car because its a bad car, it was just not the right car for me. I was coming from 2006 Volvo S60R which had the most comfortable seats ever. The Prius' seats lack any support and whats with no power seat option. I added every conceivable option to my Prius including Navigation, Bluetooth, Smartkey, JBL Audio and leather and I still can't stand this car. I know this car is meant for Fuel Economy but Toyota could have spent some money on comfort.

Surprised me!
By Thom Bailey on 12/06/09 03:46 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife wanted the Prius very badly and I was really turned off by the looks, but we took a test drive anyway about a year and a half ago. I was very surprised by the quality of the ride and handling. I still am surprised every time I drive the car. We live in the snowbelt of Ohio and with winter tires the vehicle is very dependable in snow and ice. I'd seriously think of getting a second Prius when the time comes.

Prius
By Mark on 06/30/09 19:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm 6' 4" and the front leg room is very tight. It is also a bit narrow. The fit and feel is very good for a mid size car. It's so quiet on start up. Acceleration is slow but reliability should be outstanding.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Prius in VA is:

$105 per month*