2008 Toyota Prius 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Consumer Review - You want one of these.

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

You want one of these. You do.
By Doug in NNY on

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this unit in September 2007, just before the economy went south. It is one of the best investments I've ever made. Dealer service has been outstanding, but all I've ever needed has been routine maintenance. This car is a joy to drive. I bought it in part as a trade-in hedge against purchasing a next-generation Prius (what holds its trade-in value on a Prius more than another Prius?) but I will hold off until the 2011 model year. I don't buy the first model year of anything. Over-the-road economy, honest 53 mpg. Around town in dead of winter (harsh in Northern NY State), 35-40 mpg. Around-town in summer, 44-48 mpg. Not a good car, a great car. Toyota's nailed it.

Favorite Features

Mileage, overall comfort (back seats for adults is quite good), highway handling, sound system. Reliability. This thing starts right up in winter when it is minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suggested Improvements

How do I turn off the backup beep? I'd like to be able to use the rear camera when driving forward. Also: install a sliding panel in each sun visor (the Honda Accord has them). Seat height adjustment needed. Also, better lumbar support (adjustable) as standard on all models.