Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45 on
2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage. Excellent quality. Great crash test ratings. The JBL stereo rocks. Lots of room. Hid lights are superior and are original units (some owners have issues; I have been lucky). Easy to work on as I change my own oil and cvt fluid. The dealer (Mark Miller Toyota) has done all recalls and goes the extra mile to make sure the car is running well. To date I have spent nothing on repairs, just a few bucks for cvt fluid and oil and filter. Also replaced the cabin and air filters. Go to Rockauto.com for better prices than Autozone and the dealership. Truly cheap to own and very reliable. Wish I would have bought one years ago. Will buy 2010 for the wife soon.
Suggested Improvements
As many owners have said, the seats are not comfortable beyond a half hour or so. Not too bad for a short commute of 20 miles or so, but after an hour my back is sore. Body panels are easily dinged but the car is built light for better gas mileage. Hard to get much gas in the winter but don't exactly know why. I think the bladder in the tank shrinks with the cold. 5-6 gallons max fill in winter; 8-9 gallons max fill in summer. All these issues fixed in 2010. All in all just a wonderful car that saves me money daily.