2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: avoid prius!!!

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2 on

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson no more overpriced Toyotas!
By jdonalds
on 09/25/14 02:41 AM (PDT)

poorvic2, you didn't say so but it appears you purchased the Prius used, otherwise those failures would have been covered under the warranty. So the Ignition battery went out but we don't know how old it was. Normally those batteries last about 4 years in non-Prius cars so it may be quite normal. Mine lasted six years. I replaced it myself (a bit of a chore to be sure) for about $160. The failure of the water pump and computer at less than 60K miles is rare, almost unheard of. Our 2008 Prius now has 135,000 miles on it. We have not had a single failure; not even so much as a rattle or loose screw. It's been an amazing car and we still get 45mpg, never less than 40. On a recent 1,409 mile trip we averaged 50mpg.

By blueyedtxman
on 09/03/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

My experience is much more positive than yours. I have a 2008 Prius that has 187,000 miles and still gets 46 mpg. My wife says that most times, the problems are caused by who is between the steering wheel and the seat. I've had such joy driving my 2008 Prius that I have purchased my 2nd Prius, a 2013.

By rational1
on 07/14/15 12:54 PM (PDT)

Poorvic2, I know you must be angry about your experience with the 2008 prius, and I would be as well. Nevertheless, to suggest that Prius build quality is no better than a Yugo is just plain silly and diminishes the credibility of your review. Have you owned a Yugo? Have you driven one? Have you even seen one? I have a 2008 Prius, bought used, that has been absolutley trouble free. I believe that this is the norm for these cars, and your experience is incredibly bad luck.