2008 Toyota Prius Standard Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Sort Reviews by

80,000 miles and LOVE it!
By Ilya

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had Prius for about 80,000 miles. Car runs excellent. Love just about everything about it. Driving it feels just like driving a Lexus. It easily gets 100 miles per hour (speed) yet ride is very smooth. This car allows me to be able to commute (daily) for about 100 miles each way.

Favorite Features

1) Ergonomics: steering wheel (oval), dash, rear. Awesome ergonomics - love it! Great steering wheel. 2) Windshield provides great view. 3) Gas...of course. Does not get any better. 4) Interior materials.

Suggested Improvements

1) Does not go up hill on snow - at all. 2) Plastic interior scratches too easy. 3) Make it wider and lift the front a bit up. 4) Take advantage of solar power.

Best Hybrid Car Hands Down
By Mark Levin

I purchased a 2008 Silver Touring Edition with package 6. I am very impressed with the entire car. I have been averaging 52 to 64.9 miles per gallon on my 24 mile city commute to work. The A/C and Bluetooth work great. I also enjoy the aux jack with my iPod. The upgraded sound system is excellent. As far as I am concerned this is the best hybrid car available and blows the Honda Civic away in versatility and mileage. Tough to get, but worth the wait. The Touring Edition adds some flair with the 16" wheels and larger spoiler. The extra stabilizer bars are also included but are not visible. My other car is a Lexus so I am very familiar with quality.

Favorite Features

Leather, navigation, bluetooth, upgraded audio system w/aux jack, back up camera, smart key, ample storage spaces.

Suggested Improvements

I understand the front end will be redesigned in 2010. That is the only part of the car I think looks a little wimpy at this time. The face lift will only improve this already great car.

It's Great
By Ellah

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Worth all the fuss to get this car. Quite comfortable. More legroom in the back than larger cars. Fuel economy is very good but not what is stated. Getting about 40 mpg so far but drive in a hilly area. Very happy with my new Prius.

Favorite Features

Navigation system with all of its features. Backup camera. Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Needs power seats and power seat memory button. Also would like auto door locks.

LOVE IT
By hammdown

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I Am a home nurse in a very rural county and just love the mpg that I get. My husband and I try to see who can get the best mpg but I don't let him drive it very often though. I just love this car. We have owned Toyotas for years and this one is no disappointment at all.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera.

Suggested Improvements

No back-up beepe.r More comfortable seats with more adjustments.

Wonderful car, good choice for dog owner
By KE

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Prius (pkg 2) for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it. My previous car was a small SUV. I'm getting more than double the gas mileage, with an average so far of 52 mpg per the car's computer, and slightly higher on my own calculation. Acceleration is more than adequate, even when entering the freeway with the a/c on. I'm impressed with the cargo space. I have a couple of 50 lb dogs who occasionally like to get wet/dirty; I thought I "needed" an SUV for this reason, but the Prius has been great (with the addition of a washable cargo area liner). It's easy to get dogs in/out and there is ample space for them to ride (the floor space is equivalent to my small SUV).

Favorite Features

Hatchback design with ample cargo room, smart key system, steering wheel controls, MP3/iPod plug-in, fuel efficiency, lower emissions

Suggested Improvements

Replace fabric on armrests with a more durable, cleanable material. No problems yet, but it looks like it could become shabby after a couple of years of use.

I did okay for myself
By Jim in Wimberley, Tx

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My soulmate wasn't sure about trading her Ford Escape, 20 mpg, since she loved the amount of rear storage space. After less than a week, she loves it. We were on a waiting list for 7 weeks for our Silver Pine, Pkg 2 Prius. The first two fill ups averaged 44.4 mpg which will get much better as we learn how to manage better fuel economy. The ride is wonderful, sound system very good, and it handles very well. With today's fuel prices I can't understand why other auto companies didn't develop a decent hybrid. Toyota will be laughing all the way to the bank for several years to come.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, very little road noise, smart key, rear view monitor when in reverse, no blind spots to speak of, ease of handling and it does cruise down the highway without any problems.

Suggested Improvements

I'd suggest improvement in paint quality and colors.

Awesome Car
By Janet- NY

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Prius for 10 months and I never looked back. Sold my (lemon) Audi A6 and my new prius is great. Truly a smart car. Love the smart Key, gas mileage. Passing the gas stations all the time. Everyone who gets in the car also comments how roomy the inside is. If you're thinking about it, stop thinking and do it!

Favorite Features

Smart key.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof or convertible.

A very well designed vehicle.
By A Great Car

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is a very well engineered vehicle. I particularly like the field of view accompanied with the captain's seats make it almost like driving a bus or van. We like the performance, gas mileage, road handling, and all around comfort. This is one of the best car buying decisions my wife and I have made. We took the Prius on a round trip 969 miles and performed well, has plenty of power, and averaged 45.8 mpg. The dealer asked us if we wanted to trade it back in, the answer is a resounding no.

Favorite Features

Power, mileage, field of view

Toyota Got This One Right
By BobB

All parts and assembly in Japan. Great ride and solid feel. Sensitive to cross winds on the highway but otherwise very stable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, quiet at all speeds, plenty of room front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Ability to raise driver's seat. A real gas tank and not a bladder. Auto on/off headlights.

2008 Toyota Prius Touring
By 2008 Prius Touring

The new Toyota Prius Touring model is the third generation of Hybrid Automobiles. It is the most different car I have owned after nearly 40 years of car ownership. As far as fun, it takes me back to my 1973 Volks Karmann Ghia. As far as fuel economy, not even my 1960 36 HP Volkswagen bug could top the Prius. It makes a game out of saving gas and works like a champ. From my home in central California to Sequoia Natl Park , and return , I averaged 45MPG . That with climbing up to over 7000 ft. elevation, a trip of 302 miles with only 6.7 gallons of gasoline. Two different 650CC motorcycles could not do as well. I was cruising about 60 to 65MPH on the flats .

Favorite Features

The touch activated display screen to control most functions.

Suggested Improvements

Make a small pickup to match the Prius with light towing ability, say a small boat or tent trailer.