Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

1 Year Later - More Props for the Prius!
By bluegrass in hogtown

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been exactly 1 year and just shy of 20000 miles, and my little blue "bug" just skitters right along, worth every dime! It still gets 50+ mpg, not one problem or glitch, and there's a big plenty of room for the upright bass, a passenger, and other guitars, banjos, fiddles - well, you know what I mean. We had some bitterly cold weather, and "little blue" stayed warm & toasty & CHEAP to run. The only "green" reason for me buying this vehicle was the "green" that I save at the pump, on maintenance... and oh, by the way, the "green" color some people's eyes turn when they see and ride in it! Ha! I love it! I used to think these vehicles were ugly, ugly, ugly - but not any more...

Favorite Features

The hatchback, how the back seats fold down flat to make lots of room, MILEAGE (of course),reliability, comfort, fit & finish...

Suggested Improvements

You know, there really isn't anything, except maybe an easier-to-operate navigation thingy (I know, I know - I am a blonde, so what did you expect??)

Prius, BUT!!
By dickcsjr1

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius Touring model is a great summer car. Recently I discovered I should NEVER drive it when snow may be expected. A unique design feature cuts off the power to the front wheels if the TRAC system determines that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. That can leave you stranded!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, roominess, the consumption display

Suggested Improvements

Fix the terrible TRAC system design

Not Too Shabby
By Stillc

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I commute 100 miles a day so my motivation was economy. There's no doubt the Prius delivers great mileage. I average 48 MPG or better. I traded-in a F-250 Diesel Pick Up truck for this car and was lucky to do so just prior to the big fuel crisis. The Prius saved me about $500.00 per month in fuel cost based on what I was paying for diesel. I'm not crazy about the style (looks like a bug) but it has plenty of head room and can carry more than expected in the hatch back with the seats folded down. Power is so so. Very slow to start off but will kick in and move fairly quickly once your rolling. It's all about fuel efficiency. I have to admit though, it can be a little emasculating.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

More intuitive navigation system. Setting the desired destination is easy enough, but getting it to start navigating is another story. I admit, I don't use it very often so maybe I just need more practice.

No charge for rattle
By Rob

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Generally like most aspects of car. Handles like a go-cart with quick steering and low to the ground. Mileage is great - this is why we bought it instead of our dream Avalon. Have a ghost rattle from dash near LCD monitor/CD player area that appears and disappears with no apparent cause. Very annoying considering Toyota's reputation for quality body work and the price paid for the car. Otherwise it is fun to drive and well detailed. Still have to get familiar with many features in the manual that we are still experimenting with. Looking forward to winter driving in Wisconsin - will extra battery weight provide better traction in snow or more prone to sideways sliding on icy roads?

Favorite Features

Mileage, fit and finish (except rattle), anticipated Toyota reliability, cruise that can be set as low as 25 mph - great for city speed traps.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate rear window bar; back-up alarm inside of vehicle?; reset cruise when speed goes below 25 mph at every stop or turn; brighter lites for interior control buttons on dash, doors, and steering wheel; six way power seat for driver at least; more adjustment on steering column

Surprisingly Roomy!
By Ray

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The title is what I hear from all of my friends and the "anti-Prius" crowd when they first sit in my car. With so many suggested improvements, why did I give it such a high mark? Mainly because the cons mean a lot less to me than the pros. Last year, I was set on buying a hybrid, so when comparing other models, the Prius was a hands down winner. The rear trunk/back seat design is much more superior than the hybrid honda civic. I also feel it is superior to the Toyota Camry Hybrid. If the Prius is too expensive, I have a friend who bought a Honda Fit and loves it. Overall, the Prius is a great car with a great design, and I am happy to see more and more of them in the Boston area!

Favorite Features

Environmentally friendly, great MPG, roomy, practical, great interior design, many steering wheel controls, backup camera (optional item), few blind spots, great resale value, braking (when car is mostly empty), parking is a breeze (size of car and backup camera prevents bumping).

Suggested Improvements

Lets push for even better MPG (diesel cars can achieve similar MPG - let's go electric/plug-in hybrid), vehicle stability control a little too sensitive, braking (when vehicle reaches maximum load), driving/handling (crosswinds will move this car around on the highway).