Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Car Dies in Snow and on Highway
By Cathie

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

People are going to get killed in snow. I've been stuck twice where both once you go into a skid you have no power to get out of it. It took me 45 minutes to get up a small hill once I skidded. The car loses all power. actually had a cop behind me as I tried to get my car moving so I wouldn't get hit. Dealer said Toyota made it so you can't shut off the Vehicle control Stability for SAFETY REASONS HA! This is dangerous. I've also had 2 incidents on back to back weekends where my car hesitates, the dash board lights go on and I lose all power. This happened 3 times on the highway and 2x on back road same night. This is a dangerous car and I will be getting rid of it once it is fixed.

I like the style of the car and of course the gas mileage.

Make it so you can turn off the vehicle control stability in the winter.

Love the Prius
By William Smith

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I checked on this vehicle for over a year before I bought it. I thought it would be a good vehicle to buy. I drove it on two occasions prior to purchase. It has been much better than that. No problems, mileage isn't quite what others claim, but I am happy with 45 average. The car is full of goodies that others miss out on. It is a very good experience to own and drive. It does take a few weeks to get used to it, but when you do, you will love it.

1 Year Later - More Props for the Prius!
By bluegrass in hogtown

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been exactly 1 year and just shy of 20000 miles, and my little blue "bug" just skitters right along, worth every dime! It still gets 50+ mpg, not one problem or glitch, and there's a big plenty of room for the upright bass, a passenger, and other guitars, banjos, fiddles - well, you know what I mean. We had some bitterly cold weather, and "little blue" stayed warm & toasty & CHEAP to run. The only "green" reason for me buying this vehicle was the "green" that I save at the pump, on maintenance... and oh, by the way, the "green" color some people's eyes turn when they see and ride in it! Ha! I love it! I used to think these vehicles were ugly, ugly, ugly - but not any more...

The hatchback, how the back seats fold down flat to make lots of room, MILEAGE (of course),reliability, comfort, fit & finish...

You know, there really isn't anything, except maybe an easier-to-operate navigation thingy (I know, I know - I am a blonde, so what did you expect??)

Prius, BUT!!
By dickcsjr1

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius Touring model is a great summer car. Recently I discovered I should NEVER drive it when snow may be expected. A unique design feature cuts off the power to the front wheels if the TRAC system determines that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. That can leave you stranded!!

Gas mileage, roominess, the consumption display

Fix the terrible TRAC system design

Not Too Shabby
By Stillc

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I commute 100 miles a day so my motivation was economy. There's no doubt the Prius delivers great mileage. I average 48 MPG or better. I traded-in a F-250 Diesel Pick Up truck for this car and was lucky to do so just prior to the big fuel crisis. The Prius saved me about $500.00 per month in fuel cost based on what I was paying for diesel. I'm not crazy about the style (looks like a bug) but it has plenty of head room and can carry more than expected in the hatch back with the seats folded down. Power is so so. Very slow to start off but will kick in and move fairly quickly once your rolling. It's all about fuel efficiency. I have to admit though, it can be a little emasculating.

Fuel economy, cargo space

More intuitive navigation system. Setting the desired destination is easy enough, but getting it to start navigating is another story. I admit, I don't use it very often so maybe I just need more practice.

• SUV