Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 205 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Frequent Dead Battery
By candance king

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have a company car also, so whenever I don't drive the Prius for ten days, I find a dead battery! I've used up my AAA for the year already, and have an expensive repair ($120) from trying to open the back hatch- you are completely locked out! No one ever warned us about this! Don't go on vacation w/o getting your car a babysitter!! Also, I want to complain about an irritating design feature: when driving at night, there is a bad glare, a green bar of reflection onto the windshield right where you look to drive from the the display! If the top frame of it was extended a little, like a hood, it wouldn't happen. And I can't fix it. Same problem in the daytime, gps screen needs shade- bleached out.

GPS very good but you can't see it in the daytime without shading it, also, passenger can't find things while we're driving due to lockout safety. Bummer.

As above. Hard clearance to get in & out, especially if short & seat pulled forward, knees hit bad when turning to get out. Back up camera distance unusable, too hard to translate to visible reality. If u call it parking camera, ok! Need drawers under passenger seats- can't see front end car!

Disappointed in fuel economy
By reid

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a 2007 Prius which got 47 to 53 mpg. This car was totaled and I was so happy with the car itself and then definitely the safety features. I purchased a 2008 Prius and now only get 36 to 43 mpg. I have been to a local dealer to no avail and I am heading to the dealership where I bought the car today. Leaving on big road trip in September, I hope they can do something!!

I like everything about the car except the mileage and the fact that they can't add Mexico to the GPS. The update costs for GPS is prohibitive.

Improve gas mileage on this vehicle.

Safety and reliability
By Snow

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

Bluetooth, AC, rear mirror, fuel economy

More sturdy exterior, Navigation system can be used by the passengers when the car is in drive mode

The Devil Is In the Details
By Savannah Cook

I had done so much research on the Prius that I was totally confident in my purchase. I have been so disappointed in some of the design features. The rear window is difficult to see out of because of a bar running horizontally across ... the dash dims when the headlights are turned on, making it difficult to see how fast you are going, and the dash is difficult to see in bright sunlight. The car salesman raved about the new seat fabric, but it is already stained. I would have preferred leather, but was talked out of it. Of course, the gas mileage can't be beat, but it's a shame the other elements don't measure up.

Gas mileage.

Poor tire and Nagivation Problems
By Pro. Env. Eng

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The typical Goodyear Integrity tires are very poor under wet and light snow conditions. My research at Tire Rack confirms my experience. I have decided to install Michelin Primacy MXV4s to increase the safety of driving under all conditions in eastern KS. The navigation suddenly lost its Bluetooth functions on the NAV system screen, no telephone icon anymore.

Put some high quality tires on this type of car, improve the seat sitting quality and add heat to the leather seats. Also improve reliability to the NAV system.