Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Gas fillup
By Quinton Qualls

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since purchasing this car we have had difficulty filling the gas tank. It continually cuts off and just keeps clicking off before we can complete filling the tank. Finally the tank was replaced but we still have the problem. What is the problem. Never had this problem with any other car.

Heat issues in Michigan
By Dan D.

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius just before the economy crashed. Don't drive it in the winter as it takes forever to warm up and won't keep ice or snow buildup off the windshield. I'm concerned about comments on quitting for no reason and dead battery. I stored mine last winter and started it every couple of weeks with no problems. But didn't get it out until March. Mileage goes south when weather is cold. So I just drove my Pickup beginning in late Nov. until March. Also noted that tire wear is excessive. They must have used a cheap tire as OEM. Wouldn't buy another as insurance is high and needing a different vehicle for the seasons defeats economy of transportation. It's built well though.

fuel economy

heater is poor

Frequent Dead Battery
By candance king

We have a company car also, so whenever I don't drive the Prius for ten days, I find a dead battery! I've used up my AAA for the year already, and have an expensive repair ($120) from trying to open the back hatch- you are completely locked out! No one ever warned us about this! Don't go on vacation w/o getting your car a babysitter!! Also, I want to complain about an irritating design feature: when driving at night, there is a bad glare, a green bar of reflection onto the windshield right where you look to drive from the the display! If the top frame of it was extended a little, like a hood, it wouldn't happen. And I can't fix it. Same problem in the daytime, gps screen needs shade- bleached out.

GPS very good but you can't see it in the daytime without shading it, also, passenger can't find things while we're driving due to lockout safety. Bummer.

As above. Hard clearance to get in & out, especially if short & seat pulled forward, knees hit bad when turning to get out. Back up camera distance unusable, too hard to translate to visible reality. If u call it parking camera, ok! Need drawers under passenger seats- can't see front end car!

Disappointed in fuel economy
By reid

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a 2007 Prius which got 47 to 53 mpg. This car was totaled and I was so happy with the car itself and then definitely the safety features. I purchased a 2008 Prius and now only get 36 to 43 mpg. I have been to a local dealer to no avail and I am heading to the dealership where I bought the car today. Leaving on big road trip in September, I hope they can do something!!

I like everything about the car except the mileage and the fact that they can't add Mexico to the GPS. The update costs for GPS is prohibitive.

Improve gas mileage on this vehicle.

Safety and reliability
By Snow

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

Bluetooth, AC, rear mirror, fuel economy

More sturdy exterior, Navigation system can be used by the passengers when the car is in drive mode