Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Poor tire and Nagivation Problems
By Pro. Env. Eng

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The typical Goodyear Integrity tires are very poor under wet and light snow conditions. My research at Tire Rack confirms my experience. I have decided to install Michelin Primacy MXV4s to increase the safety of driving under all conditions in eastern KS. The navigation suddenly lost its Bluetooth functions on the NAV system screen, no telephone icon anymore.

Suggested Improvements

Put some high quality tires on this type of car, improve the seat sitting quality and add heat to the leather seats. Also improve reliability to the NAV system.

Jeep to Prius: Great! Even in the Snow
By mjacks

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I must admit that my biggest concern about trading my Jeep for a Prius was the extreme Chicago winters. Yes, the clearance is much lower, but I never once missed work because I could get through the snow. The interior is roomy and very well laid out. While it won't win any drag races, it has more than enough power to drive comfortably in any traffic condition. I will definitely buy another for my next car.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Ride, Comfort, Interior Features, Keyless entry, GPS, Bluetooth, flip down back seats.

Suggested Improvements

I would love a sunroof (2010 has it). I wish the GPS system could be operated by a passenger while the car was in motion. Outer ring of wheel cover came off and have noticed that on other Prius' as well.

You want one of these. You do.
By Doug in NNY

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this unit in September 2007, just before the economy went south. It is one of the best investments I've ever made. Dealer service has been outstanding, but all I've ever needed has been routine maintenance. This car is a joy to drive. I bought it in part as a trade-in hedge against purchasing a next-generation Prius (what holds its trade-in value on a Prius more than another Prius?) but I will hold off until the 2011 model year. I don't buy the first model year of anything. Over-the-road economy, honest 53 mpg. Around town in dead of winter (harsh in Northern NY State), 35-40 mpg. Around-town in summer, 44-48 mpg. Not a good car, a great car. Toyota's nailed it.

Favorite Features

Mileage, overall comfort (back seats for adults is quite good), highway handling, sound system. Reliability. This thing starts right up in winter when it is minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suggested Improvements

How do I turn off the backup beep? I'd like to be able to use the rear camera when driving forward. Also: install a sliding panel in each sun visor (the Honda Accord has them). Seat height adjustment needed. Also, better lumbar support (adjustable) as standard on all models.

Great car; poor tire wear
By Martha

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the Toyota Prius, but the tire wear on the original tires is terrible. I will not have my car serviced at a dealer; Sullivan Tire told me that the rear end needed shimming fresh out of the factory. I confronted the dealer and they said "that may be the case, but Toyota will not do anything about it." The tires need replacing after 32000 miles. The car isn't 2 years old yet and already I have to spend $950.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about alignment, balancing and admit Toyota messed up.

I love my Prius
By Nancy

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my 2008 Prius for a year. I sold an E class Mercedes to do this so I was committed to a "greener" car. I like everything about it except that it "slips" going uphill in the rain. I live in the Pacific Northwest so this is not a good thing. I am going to change the tires and see if that helps. I also had it simply shut down in the middle of a freeway and was interested to read that this has happened to others. I thought I was low on fuel but perhaps there is more to it than I initially thought. I am also curious about the fuel consumption ratings I am seeing for the 2009 models being advertised by Toyota Canada of 72 miles/gallon. Is this true?

Favorite Features

Fuel consumption, quiet, roomy, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Better traction. Heated, programmable seats but perhaps that isn't in the spirit of being "green".