2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Love my Prius
By EricH on 08/27/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My minivan died a week ago and I was forced to buy a new car a year before I really wanted to. I had been looking at the Prius and luckily for me, the dealer had one in stock - my color and package 6. I wasn't sure if I wanted all the extras in package 6, but I'm sure glad I got them. I live in South Florida and have only had the car 5 days, so the air conditioning has been on non-stop (78 degrees) since I got it. I'm on my first full tank of gas, and after about 115 miles I'm averaging just over 50 mpg. Can't wait to see what the mpg is when I don't need A/C (if it ever gets that cool here).

After the first 10000 miles
By jcfsusmc on 08/25/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

More than I expected. Much better mileage than advertised. EPA estimators need to get a grip! Have averaged over 51 mpg - and I live in the "Hill City" (Lynchburg, VA)! Excellent handing, loads of room for everyone and your extra toys. Battery charging is slower than expected, but no problems. Never had so much as a hiccup with the engine, powertrain, or gauges. After 10,000 miles, this is easily the best car I have ever owned. Love the safety features, except for the backup beeping! Good thing I found out how to turn it off. :) No user serviceable parts, which is a drag; you have to take it to the dealer. Overall, it's a fun car as well as extremely efficient.

Engineering miracle
By Charlie S. on 08/19/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Best design ever from Toyota at a great price. Several years ahead of the competition. Top of the line model includes high end luxuries like leather, navigation, bluetooth, keyless entry, and rear-view camera. In 35 years of driving, I have never been more enthusiastic about owning a car. The electric motor assists the gasoline engine when power is needed and does not disappoint. Even with full time maximum AC, I still get 44 MPG which will save me thousands of dollars at the gas pump every year. Surprisingly spacious cabin and trunk for a compact car.

THREE MONTHS LATER
By DPJR on 08/16/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Now that we have three months of driving our new Prius, we really enjoy driving it. Have taken a few road trips and it has performed very well. The mileage keeps on improving and I think the reason is that we are adjusting our driving habits. Our second vehicle is a Toyota Avalon and at times we forget which vehicle we are riding in. Remarkable automobile and we just love it. We will wait for the new generation of Prius with its 100 mpg possibility.

Amphi-prius
By Spectra on 08/13/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Replaced an aging Jeep Wrangler with the Prius, and never looked back ... except to remove the Thule roof rack & install it on the Prius. This way, I can carry a kayak & 2 bikes at once. Hence "Amphi-Prius" It's the most basic model, right off the lot, but light years ahead of the old Jeep. Great Fun! Quiet, smooth, roomy. Terrific A/C. Now that I've got the technique down, am consistently getting 63 MPG (!) at moderate speeds on secondary roads.

Sell the House_Live in the Prius!
By Michael Kaplan on 08/13/08 13:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the first auto I've owned that I feel joy every time I get in it. It is also very driver oriented with a complete LCD readout available at all times for : audio, climate, GPA, BLuetooth cell phone, volume of CD;s and aux music player (iPod, iPhone, etc). Things I have come to love: #1 keyless entry and use; steering wheel control (front/back), wiper, cruise, lights stalks. It is the driver designed (instead of engineer designed), e.g., all things to make driving & safety first and foremost--and gas mileage is superb and the constant LCD readout gasoline consumption is not only informative but allows the driver to see, real time, how driving behaviors affect MPG.

Does everyone here only drive downhill?
By Mitch on 08/13/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not sure how anyone here is getting these crazy gas mileage numbers. I haven't even hit 40 MPG. I have even given up my lead foot and try to keep it at or below 70 on the freeway which is about 15-20 mph less than I'm used to driving. The ride is adequate for a small car, but that rear window split design is not getting easier to accept even with time. I just don't see how I can possibly increase the mileage to justify the cost of a car like this. At least in my case, I should have bought a cheap car like a Corolla or Civic getting 32 mpg or just go back to my much better performing and useful Pathfinder and just suck it up... literally. Maybe I'll sell both and buy the Lexus GS450h!!!

Best car I've ever owned !
By Fred in Seattle on 08/09/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just love my Prius! I really don't have a single complaint. I deliberated whether I would wait another year before trying a 2009 but I couldn't. Mileage is great, great room, great for long trips.

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By GF on 08/06/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I only had to wait 2 weeks for my Prius. The gas mileage is the obvious reason you buy this car but you will be pleased find out it's not just some cheap economy car. It's roomy inside and has lots of cool features. When I first got the car, I was averaging 47 mpg. Now, with the help of a few websites, I am actually learning how to drive the car and achieve better results. On my last tank, I got 54 mpg. Buy this car if you can find one. You won't regret it.

Junk
By jeric on 08/05/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car for about 5 months now and it is really a piece of junk. It does get very good mileage when it isn't having transmission problems at 8,000 miles. I thought Toyotas were supposed to be reliable... not the case on this one. Two transmissions later... I'm trading this beast in and buying a dodge caliber next week. The Prius is what I waited months to get.. what a joke.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.