2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
2008 Prius 1st 6 months
By Lloyd on 03/23/09 09:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Most bi-polar (some pun intended) car I have ever owned. Great around town fuel economy 40mpg actual! Corners ok but absolutely numb road feel. Surprisingly roomy for size. Good utility from the hatch. Rear camera slow to come. Requires extra care when backing. Keyless features work great. Not sold on the touch panel climate control. Visors, shifter and steering wheel controls toy like. Too easily bottoms in some road conditions.

Car Dies in Snow and on Highway
By Cathie on 03/21/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

People are going to get killed in snow. I've been stuck twice where both once you go into a skid you have no power to get out of it. It took me 45 minutes to get up a small hill once I skidded. The car loses all power. actually had a cop behind me as I tried to get my car moving so I wouldn't get hit. Dealer said Toyota made it so you can't shut off the Vehicle control Stability for SAFETY REASONS HA! This is dangerous. I've also had 2 incidents on back to back weekends where my car hesitates, the dash board lights go on and I lose all power. This happened 3 times on the highway and 2x on back road same night. This is a dangerous car and I will be getting rid of it once it is fixed.

Love the Prius
By William Smith on 03/14/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

I checked on this vehicle for over a year before I bought it. I thought it would be a good vehicle to buy. I drove it on two occasions prior to purchase. It has been much better than that. No problems, mileage isn't quite what others claim, but I am happy with 45 average. The car is full of goodies that others miss out on. It is a very good experience to own and drive. It does take a few weeks to get used to it, but when you do, you will love it.

1 Year Later - More Props for the Prius!
By bluegrass in hogtown on 03/01/09 16:59 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's been exactly 1 year and just shy of 20000 miles, and my little blue "bug" just skitters right along, worth every dime! It still gets 50+ mpg, not one problem or glitch, and there's a big plenty of room for the upright bass, a passenger, and other guitars, banjos, fiddles - well, you know what I mean. We had some bitterly cold weather, and "little blue" stayed warm & toasty & CHEAP to run. The only "green" reason for me buying this vehicle was the "green" that I save at the pump, on maintenance... and oh, by the way, the "green" color some people's eyes turn when they see and ride in it! Ha! I love it! I used to think these vehicles were ugly, ugly, ugly - but not any more...

Prius, BUT!!
By dickcsjr1 on 02/06/09 13:58 PM (PST)

The Prius Touring model is a great summer car. Recently I discovered I should NEVER drive it when snow may be expected. A unique design feature cuts off the power to the front wheels if the TRAC system determines that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. That can leave you stranded!!

Not Too Shabby
By Stillc on 01/14/09 13:20 PM (PST)

I commute 100 miles a day so my motivation was economy. There's no doubt the Prius delivers great mileage. I average 48 MPG or better. I traded-in a F-250 Diesel Pick Up truck for this car and was lucky to do so just prior to the big fuel crisis. The Prius saved me about $500.00 per month in fuel cost based on what I was paying for diesel. I'm not crazy about the style (looks like a bug) but it has plenty of head room and can carry more than expected in the hatch back with the seats folded down. Power is so so. Very slow to start off but will kick in and move fairly quickly once your rolling. It's all about fuel efficiency. I have to admit though, it can be a little emasculating.

No charge for rattle
By Rob on 11/18/08 10:10 AM (PST)

Generally like most aspects of car. Handles like a go-cart with quick steering and low to the ground. Mileage is great - this is why we bought it instead of our dream Avalon. Have a ghost rattle from dash near LCD monitor/CD player area that appears and disappears with no apparent cause. Very annoying considering Toyota's reputation for quality body work and the price paid for the car. Otherwise it is fun to drive and well detailed. Still have to get familiar with many features in the manual that we are still experimenting with. Looking forward to winter driving in Wisconsin - will extra battery weight provide better traction in snow or more prone to sideways sliding on icy roads?

Surprisingly Roomy!
By Ray on 10/30/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

The title is what I hear from all of my friends and the "anti-Prius" crowd when they first sit in my car. With so many suggested improvements, why did I give it such a high mark? Mainly because the cons mean a lot less to me than the pros. Last year, I was set on buying a hybrid, so when comparing other models, the Prius was a hands down winner. The rear trunk/back seat design is much more superior than the hybrid honda civic. I also feel it is superior to the Toyota Camry Hybrid. If the Prius is too expensive, I have a friend who bought a Honda Fit and loves it. Overall, the Prius is a great car with a great design, and I am happy to see more and more of them in the Boston area!

Pete's Prius Experience
By SanPedroPete on 10/20/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my wife and my 2nd Prius. We also own a 2004. It has 62,000 mi and has averaged 47-48 mpg combined city/hwy. I currently have 4400 mi on the new one and am averaging 52+ mpg combined city/hwy. I regularly get 54-55 mpg city by using the surging technique. Hwy mileage for both cars is 51-52 mpg going 65 (I know that's slow by todays stds) w/air conditioning on. We both like the finish of the car. And, they are fun to drive. They have an amazing amount of room inside for the size of the car. Our 6'-5" sons can sit behind us (I'm 6'-2") and have knee room. Head room is a little tight due to the slopping roof line though.

We Love Our Prius
By Robert on 10/18/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

Even though the Touring Prius is rated at 42 MPG we get several more MPG on average all the time. Our current average MPG is 45. The hatchback design is perfect for us. My handicap folding mobility scooter fits in the left side of the hatch perfectly. We find the Prius very comfortable on trips, even with 4 adults in the vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.