Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Downsize - for fun and "profit"
By Tomm

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got rid of my relatively new Audi A6 with every option for a loaded '08 Prius a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. Maybe I am being small-minded [averaging 48 MPG of regular gas], but the car is fun to drive, holds the highway/road, and no difficult electronics.

Dash and gas mileage.

Tilt at least driver's seat - feels like it is pitching me forward (only complaint).

What a great CAR!
By 64alpha

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Oh man this car rocks. The only thing I don't like is the acceleration of the electric engine. You can only accelerate so much then boom gas. But still it could use like a 60hp electric engine instead of 40hp to give it more acceleration without using gas. It gets great mileage and we fill $41 at $4.22 a gal. Only about 9.75 gallons. This car rocks. Buy it NOW! The waiting lists are rising! Best hybrid yet!

Design, internal design, looks, and quietness!

A more powerful electric motor. We have a 40hp electric motor. I would like a 60hp electric engine to get better gas mileage.

Love It!
By MikiC

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Get 47.8 to 55.3 MPG. Package 3 that has more features than the car it replaced. Comfy ride everywhere I go. Sound heavy vehicle that is very smooth and fun to drive. Wasn't interested at first because thought it was too small until I test drove one. Very impressed with what I saw, and walked away that day with one!

All of the extra drawers! Smart key and back up camera are fab!

Only has 2 plug ports (one in console & one in front). Wish it had one in trunk area for long rides and electric cooler.

Love my Prius!
By VT Prius Fan

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2008 Prius in November of 2007 and now have just over 12,000 miles on it. I average between 46 and 50 mpg. It does a little better on highway trips. The car has plenty of room too. In March I took a trip with three other people to Charleston, SC from Ashburn, VA. With four people in the car + luggage the Prius averaged 47 mpg. I cannot say enough good things about this car. Since I have purchased my Prius at least 4 co-workers have purchased hybrid cars because they were so impressed with mine. If you are looking for a new car, go ahead and buy a Prius. You will not regret it.

Gas mileage. Plenty of storage space. Very "green" car.

Stronger door panels. I have small dents in three of the four doors. Probably from someone hitting it with their door in a parking lot.

2008 Toyota Prius
By 4ecofriends

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My goal of purchase: 10 years of ownership same or better than non-hybrid and I save >1/2 CO2, then it is a good purchase. And this car does just that, and then some. It's fun to drive (as intended, not in the same sense as BMW) and as practical as any family sedan of its size. I kept up with V8 cars to snow trip without degrading MPG. I drove up Grapevine, CA, full load full blast of air with the same MPG. I got 47mpg for ~12000 miles of driving. No problem todate. Toyota has met design goal: practical green family car.

Pkg4: emit the least CO2, smartkey, audio, homelink, bluetooth, and the ability to drive purely on battery in parking lot.

Firmware could be tweaked for better acceleration (use more battery instead of charging it) from 0 to 35 mph when driving lightfooted on flat terrain and battery is charged to improve driving experience. Instruction on programming: press power button twice while NOT stepping on brake.