2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Code Red!
By Audrey on 02/18/08 12:11 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been researching the Prius for 4 months and decided it was time to move on it. It's fun to drive and quiet. The controls are easily accessible and I'm getting 46-48+ miles per gallon. My previous car was averaging 16 mpg. I'm getting 3 times my money's worth. It's an awesome car and I've never been happier with an auto purchase before.

2008 Toyota Prius
By Abe on 02/16/08 15:01 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota has made it very easy to make choices with the package numbers on their Prius model. I gave up room space, horsepower, luxury and performance and it was all worth it. My wife is getting one as soon as the lease on her car is up. It's quite an experience that has gotten my friends and my co-workers excited also.

Excellent Car with Great Technology!
By amerosola on 02/16/08 07:43 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive 100 miles a day, and I love watching to see what I am getting for MPG as I go. I also love all the high tech features that this car came with. I considered the Audi A3 first (I wanted a hatchback) but to get all the options I have now in the Audi I would have had to have spent $10K more. Not worth it for a little more wow factor and fun driving. I also love feeling so green.

Dark Blue's the Best
By Nancy on 02/10/08 15:47 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. It's made up the additional cost almost right off the bat, from a $3K tax rebate and insurance discounts; it handles and accelerates well (from it's high torque electric motor); has plenty of room and cargo space(it is a mid-size sedan); gets fabulous mileage- twice that of other sedans; looks great(in my Dark blue, or pretty black ones I've seen on the road); and is super convenient (wireless key-fob that ulocks it when you walk up, and also a push-button ignition). Even without the fact that it's the best selling and efficient hybrid in the US, I'd still buy it over another sedan.

A Second Prius
By Enjoytheride on 02/01/08 05:19 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our household just purchased our 2nd Prius. We have a Tahoe, Carrera C4, STI and a 2004 Prius and found we were always fighting over who gets to drive the Prius. Both Prius's have all options for the model year. The 2008 model has an improved display and easier Nav system operation. (I still prefer my Garmin.) The 2004 was purchased used and has been a great car. These cars are very well built (bulletproof), adequate acceleration, low CG flat handling, very quiet interior, very good sound system, comfortable for long drives and dazzling fuel stinginess. They are great daily drivers. I would not hesitate to buy a used 2nd gen one, 2004 or newer. They will hold their value well!!

Something different
By GaryL on 01/28/08 10:31 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, a wonderful vehicle. I like: gas mileage, ride comfort, hatchback storage, reliability, price. Handling & performance are good, not great. Don't like: digital odometer, gauges, controls and LCD panel that substitutes for these; complexity of built-in GPS (buy a free-standing one); a too small gas fill pipe; complexity of rear-view mirror, which doesn't open my garage door, as advertised; bar across rear window that limits visibility; occasionally HAL (the computer) gets confused about when to turn the engine on and when to turn it off; I'd prefer a handbrake instead of a footbrake. It's easy to leave the car on when leaving it - remember push "off."

Good Car
By jt on 01/28/08 09:56 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought the 2008 Toyota Prius with package 3. I love the Prius. Its so fun to play with and so easy to drive. Its a little slow from a dead stop, but it will really get up and go on the highway. The display screen is fun to play with. The seats are comfy for being a car. If you're over 6'0" you will fit just fine. I am 6'4" and i fit perfect. I can fit in the back comfortably with the front seats all the way back as well. I spent $30 to fill up. I used to have a cummins diesel and it took me $100 to fill up and I could only get about 400 miles off a 35 gallon tank. Now I am getting 500 miles off only 10 gallons!

Had to have it.
By joerdie on 01/25/08 15:34 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Test drove the Prius and had to have it. The Civic has nothing on this car. So far, I have spent most waking hours thinking about it over the kid that I have on the way.

We love the prius
By jaymaust on 01/23/08 09:46 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The touch screen and computer monitor which are standard make this seem like a future car. I added the leather interior package which makes the seats really comfortable. The standard stereo is really good, so I don't think I would even be able to handle the upgrade. I got this as a second car with my 4WD F150. I think it is really neat to watch the graphic while driving and see how the car switches back and forth from gas to battery (electric). If you really pay attention to how you drive it, you can easily get over 50 mpg in city stop and go driving (it charges itself when slowing down). When not paying attention, I get about 46 mpg. So I figure I save about $400/month in gas.

Great Car but...
By Paul in VT on 01/21/08 06:35 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my 2008 Prius for 3 months and for the most part I love the car. I purchased a fully loaded model and I am shocked at some of the basic features that are sub-standard. The seats are terrible - very uncomfortable. Headlights are not auto! The DVD navigation system's many features are locked out while vehicle is in motion - even if a passenger is onboard. Makes the system really unusable. You can't view MP3 files, song listings on CDs, dial phone numbers on the screen, input destinations (like gas stations) in the navigation, all while the vehicle is moving. Better bet to not purchase the factory installed nav system and purchase aftermarket.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Prius in WA is:

$114 per month*