Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

I did okay for myself
By Jim in Wimberley, Tx

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My soulmate wasn't sure about trading her Ford Escape, 20 mpg, since she loved the amount of rear storage space. After less than a week, she loves it. We were on a waiting list for 7 weeks for our Silver Pine, Pkg 2 Prius. The first two fill ups averaged 44.4 mpg which will get much better as we learn how to manage better fuel economy. The ride is wonderful, sound system very good, and it handles very well. With today's fuel prices I can't understand why other auto companies didn't develop a decent hybrid. Toyota will be laughing all the way to the bank for several years to come.

Fuel economy, very little road noise, smart key, rear view monitor when in reverse, no blind spots to speak of, ease of handling and it does cruise down the highway without any problems.

I'd suggest improvement in paint quality and colors.

Awesome Car
By Janet- NY

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Prius for 10 months and I never looked back. Sold my (lemon) Audi A6 and my new prius is great. Truly a smart car. Love the smart Key, gas mileage. Passing the gas stations all the time. Everyone who gets in the car also comments how roomy the inside is. If you're thinking about it, stop thinking and do it!

Smart key.

Sun roof or convertible.

A very well designed vehicle.
By A Great Car

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is a very well engineered vehicle. I particularly like the field of view accompanied with the captain's seats make it almost like driving a bus or van. We like the performance, gas mileage, road handling, and all around comfort. This is one of the best car buying decisions my wife and I have made. We took the Prius on a round trip 969 miles and performed well, has plenty of power, and averaged 45.8 mpg. The dealer asked us if we wanted to trade it back in, the answer is a resounding no.

Power, mileage, field of view

Toyota Got This One Right
By BobB

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All parts and assembly in Japan. Great ride and solid feel. Sensitive to cross winds on the highway but otherwise very stable.

Gas mileage, quiet at all speeds, plenty of room front and back.

Ability to raise driver's seat. A real gas tank and not a bladder. Auto on/off headlights.

2008 Toyota Prius Touring
By 2008 Prius Touring

The new Toyota Prius Touring model is the third generation of Hybrid Automobiles. It is the most different car I have owned after nearly 40 years of car ownership. As far as fun, it takes me back to my 1973 Volks Karmann Ghia. As far as fuel economy, not even my 1960 36 HP Volkswagen bug could top the Prius. It makes a game out of saving gas and works like a champ. From my home in central California to Sequoia Natl Park , and return , I averaged 45MPG . That with climbing up to over 7000 ft. elevation, a trip of 302 miles with only 6.7 gallons of gasoline. Two different 650CC motorcycles could not do as well. I was cruising about 60 to 65MPH on the flats .

The touch activated display screen to control most functions.

Make a small pickup to match the Prius with light towing ability, say a small boat or tent trailer.