2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Where are the Li-ion batteries on Prius?
By Whoofer on 03/27/08 17:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Quiet as long as you aren't pulling a mountain or hill. Needs more powerful and better batteries to allow the engine to turn on less.

Surprised and having fun
By jdonalds on 03/26/08 22:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We didn't purchase the Prius because of its fuel economy, but that was a factor. We actually selected it because we liked the car best. It looks small from the outside but feels bigger on the inside. This is a new type of driving experience, not just another car. Toyota really put a lot of thought into the technology and features of this car. We purchased package #2 which includes the smart key but not the GPS or blue tooth voice control feature. Quiet ride, great radio, nice features all around.

"Gizmo"
By George on 03/26/08 16:34 PM (PDT)

I bought this car only and only for the car-pool lane. I shaved off 35-50 minutes in morning drive time. I'm getting 55 miles per gallon. 48 with air conditioning running. Car is exceptional, has a lot of the features big ticket luxury cars have. The ride is flawless, sound system is great. I enjoy the blue-tooth and it is comfortable. If you're looking for an economic easy to ride car with decent pick-up and all the bells and whistles then go and test drive it. I was surprised that it has some pick-up. It's not a Porsche or a muscle car, keep that in mind when test driving it. Mine is loaded and I really appreciate the car for the time I save driving and the fuel efficiency

Amazing auto
By AMAZING on 03/21/08 18:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have wanted a Prius since first introduced and am so happy to be able to buy what I consider the Cadillac of hybrids. Handles great, tight and responsive. Performance - it's not as quick as some expensive sports cars but for 75 horses they can jump up and run!! The touch screen is sometimes very difficult to see in bright sun.

Super mileage, but no fun to drive
By Sabine Cordes on 03/16/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

Our mileage (5,700 miles) is 38.7 mpg compared to 20 mpg with our BMW which it replaced. Excellent. But no fun to drive; the indifferent imprecise steering feels like a 70ties car, and it accelerates very slowly in the beginning. Once it moves, it is okay.

Making my commute FUN!
By pardreamer on 03/15/08 18:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been wanting to get a Prius for the last 5 years but the waiting list and the concern about the battery longevity kept me from getting one. Now there is no more waiting list and reliability records prove that the Prius is THE most reliable family car out there (Consummer Reports) in addition to the 150,000 miles warranty on the battery in California I finally bought it. I wish I have done it sooner. The car is so much fun to drive I look forward to driving it. I consistently get 52-60 MPG on average. Actually my 2 months lifetime average is 54 MPG and it is going up.

Amazing
By Michelle on 03/14/08 19:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I rented this car for a week while decided which car to buy. While I've decided to wait until Toyota releases their next-gen battery, the 2008 Prius I drove was absolutely wonderful. I commute 50 miles round trip to work each day, and averaged 40 mpg during my commute. It was also comfortable and had all the creature comforts I could want. My only complaint is that as a 5'6" driver, the bar across the back makes it difficult to see out the back window at times. If buying, I would opt for the rear view cameras. Otherwise, worth every penny. As soon as those lithium batteries come out, I'll be trading in my Honda Fit for a super eco and fuel friendly Prius.

Spunky and Funky
By Dave on 03/07/08 19:34 PM (PST)

I have my Highlander hybrid set aside as my comfortable, long trip vehicle and bought the Prius for my daily compute (25 miles each way). The car is surprisingly comfortable with only adequate power (spunky). I got the package 6 (high end) version and am very happy with the leather and the bells & whistles (funky) - others warned me about the cloth seat's comfort and its affinity for picking up dirt and stains; leather was expensive but worth the $1400 extra fee. The visual feedback on the electric/gas interaction makes the hybrid owner's secret "pulse & glide" process very easy - it changes your whole way of driving!

If you drive a lot, you'll need this car
By sw on 03/07/08 12:47 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive close to 40K miles a year and used to go to the pump every other day. I rarely go to the pump anymore since I got the Prius. My wife and I drive it on the weekend all the time since her car takes a lot of gas (compared to a Prius). We both love it!

A Stunning Car
By Prius Fan on 03/03/08 19:05 PM (PST)

It took me a while to get up the courage to buy a hybrid, since I had initially not been a believer. I now wish I had done it sooner. The Prius has exceeded all of my expectations and is a joy to drive. My buying experience was also pleasant. The fit and finish on the car are outstanding. The ride is very comfortable and exceedingly quiet. If cars had always had Prius-like technology, I truly believe that we would find today's standard cars to be quite primitive. Also, if more cars had this technology, the USA wouldn't be dependent on foreign oil sources. This car is practical and just makes good common sense. I think it could fill the needs of 85% of the buying public.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.