Used 2008 Toyota Prius Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Still great 1.5 years later!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a while back about my experience with my Prius. It is still a very reliable car that has not let me down. I replaced the 12 v battery myself as the original one was getting tired and wouldn't hold a charge any longer. Still get around 42 mpg in the cold and 46+ in warmer weather. This is great considering the car is driven an average speed of 72+ mph on the highway where it spends most of its time. The nav system isn't worth getting as it is woefully outdated and I'm not willing to pay a couple hundred for an update at the dealer. Car rides well and is fairly quiet, but still dislike the leather seats as church pews are more comfortable. Very happy with my purchase!

Favorite Features

Good ride, few rattles, extreme reliabilty, bluetooth works well, and of course the mpg!

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort!

Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Excellent quality. Great crash test ratings. The JBL stereo rocks. Lots of room. Hid lights are superior and are original units (some owners have issues; I have been lucky). Easy to work on as I change my own oil and cvt fluid. The dealer (Mark Miller Toyota) has done all recalls and goes the extra mile to make sure the car is running well. To date I have spent nothing on repairs, just a few bucks for cvt fluid and oil and filter. Also replaced the cabin and air filters. Go to Rockauto.com for better prices than Autozone and the dealership. Truly cheap to own and very reliable. Wish I would have bought one years ago. Will buy 2010 for the wife soon.

Suggested Improvements

As many owners have said, the seats are not comfortable beyond a half hour or so. Not too bad for a short commute of 20 miles or so, but after an hour my back is sore. Body panels are easily dinged but the car is built light for better gas mileage. Hard to get much gas in the winter but don't exactly know why. I think the bladder in the tank shrinks with the cold. 5-6 gallons max fill in winter; 8-9 gallons max fill in summer. All these issues fixed in 2010. All in all just a wonderful car that saves me money daily.

Bought a used touring model
By Mike

Averaging 45mpg. Performance is great for an engine this size and efficient. Paid $16,500 with nav, jbl, touring edition an 36500 miles. The incline of the front of the car causes a lot of bug paint damage to the hood and above windshield. A lot of sunlight inside the car due to the angles of the glass and there is no tint strip at the top of the windshield. Very pleased with gas mileage since my 06 m35 only averaged 19mpg. The car handles better than my $45k infiniti and handles rough roads much better. Seats are more comfortable too. At least the plastic interior looks good for plastic. I love the car and look forward to driving it and with each mile i drive i'm saving for my son's college

Favorite Features

touch screen display, bluetooth, navigation, gas mileage, suspension, steering, 6 disc changer, aux input for ipod, location of 12v outlet, digital speedometer (keeps me from speeding), keyless entry and remote start

Suggested Improvements

chip resistant paint especially on the hood and right above the front windshield (apply 3m film to the paint), add distance markers to rearview camera, annoying reverse beeping noise, brake pedal feels loose

Disappointed in fuel economy
By reid

I had a 2007 Prius which got 47 to 53 mpg. This car was totaled and I was so happy with the car itself and then definitely the safety features. I purchased a 2008 Prius and now only get 36 to 43 mpg. I have been to a local dealer to no avail and I am heading to the dealership where I bought the car today. Leaving on big road trip in September, I hope they can do something!!

Favorite Features

I like everything about the car except the mileage and the fact that they can't add Mexico to the GPS. The update costs for GPS is prohibitive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage on this vehicle.

Safety and reliability
By Snow

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, AC, rear mirror, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

More sturdy exterior, Navigation system can be used by the passengers when the car is in drive mode