2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
good overall
By Jim on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the winter drop is beyond expected 5-7 mpg,comfort for 6'2" but agree lumbar support needed, nav is a waste in this day of cell phone nav,don't buy, got 63k on oe tires,some alignment issues, would like to see lineup expanded, apparently in works,have never achieved over 49.5 on highway 70 mph, no some getting 55 mpg at 55 mph

Best Car Ever Owned
By WP on 02/27/10 19:47 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my '08 Prius, Package II, in March '08. Lifetime average has been 47MPG with over 18k miles/year and mostly highway mileage. It does tend to do 2-5 mpg less in winter. Have owned cars for over 21 years now and this stands out as best car ever for getting from A to B as well as errands. Amazing and misleading amount of storage space.

Great Vehicle...Even in Wisconsin!
By Wisconsin08Prius on 12/20/09 19:36 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have only owned our Prius for a short time and I can only say good things about it so far. It handles great in all weather conditions. We live in Wisconsin and experience snow every few days, which has been no problem. Fuel economy is great although slightly lower, but not significantly, in the winter weather. It is a very fun car to drive. I am 6'5" 240 pounds and fit comfortably driving and sitting in the passengers seat. Very roomy. I have not experienced any of the phantom shut offs or anything along those lines. The glare on the screen that people talk about has been a non-issue. The lights being dim on the dash is solved by adjusting the dimmer switch until they are super bright.

best hybrid on the market
By nic-in-WI on 12/03/09 07:17 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, we love this car. We've had it for almost a year and a half. Handles reasonably well in WI winters and also performed very well in the mountains. Averaged 60mpg through Yellowstone National Park while being fully loaded with gear. Plenty of leg room for my 6'1 husband. Would definitely purchase another.

Honest Opinion
By SR on 11/23/09 15:44 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hybrids are the shape of things to come, & from my test drives of available makes, Toy is on top of the game as usual. Driver & passenger comfort good with impressive haul space. Fun driving? Hey, it's a single gear electric car! Here's my honest take of pros & cons. The Prius is a great car for city, flat highways & perfect conditions. Its biggest downside is over engineered aerodynamics. Introduce a hill, kiss your mpg goodbye. Introduce wind, kiss your wife goodbye. Handles snow & ice superbly, gravel & bumps are Kryptonite. A quick car, after the initial hesitation from a standstill. Tires wear 30% faster. Dangerously quiet for pedestrians. Buy the service contract.

Cannot help but like it
By RF in Ohio on 10/16/09 10:07 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Wife wanted one. I drive it on weekends and have taken it on a few road trips. Other car is V6 Accord and until Prius were always Honda people. When we bought the Prius, we gave 03 Civic Hybrid to one of our kids. Typical Toyota steering feel, soft, unlike the Hondas so many of us like. Beyond that, great car. Unbelievably spacious, excellent sound system, runs very well at highway speeds, and gets very good gas mileage. I check mpg manually with regularity. The gauge mpg readout can be right on, or off as much as 5% high or low. Same with Civic but not as bad. Have gotten as much as 53 on highway, typically 41-43 in mixed, lower in dead of winter. Would not hesitate to buy another one.

Gas fillup
By Quinton Qualls on 10/04/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since purchasing this car we have had difficulty filling the gas tank. It continually cuts off and just keeps clicking off before we can complete filling the tank. Finally the tank was replaced but we still have the problem. What is the problem. Never had this problem with any other car.

Poor tire and Nagivation Problems
By Pro. Env. Eng on 06/01/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The typical Goodyear Integrity tires are very poor under wet and light snow conditions. My research at Tire Rack confirms my experience. I have decided to install Michelin Primacy MXV4s to increase the safety of driving under all conditions in eastern KS. The navigation suddenly lost its Bluetooth functions on the NAV system screen, no telephone icon anymore.

Jeep to Prius: Great! Even in the Snow
By mjacks on 05/05/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I must admit that my biggest concern about trading my Jeep for a Prius was the extreme Chicago winters. Yes, the clearance is much lower, but I never once missed work because I could get through the snow. The interior is roomy and very well laid out. While it won't win any drag races, it has more than enough power to drive comfortably in any traffic condition. I will definitely buy another for my next car.

Great car; poor tire wear
By Martha on 04/25/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the Toyota Prius, but the tire wear on the original tires is terrible. I will not have my car serviced at a dealer; Sullivan Tire told me that the rear end needed shimming fresh out of the factory. I confronted the dealer and they said "that may be the case, but Toyota will not do anything about it." The tires need replacing after 32000 miles. The car isn't 2 years old yet and already I have to spend $950.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.