Used 2008 Toyota Prius Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

More than meets the eye!
By pclocksmith

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You wouldn't believe me if I told you but I'm going to anyway...I was able to fit a full size refrigerator in my Prius. That's right. There is so much more space inside than what it appears to have from outside. I am a locksmith in Panama City, fl. And I use my Prius as a service vehicle. Having more than enough space in the back (without folding seats) to accommodate all of the tools and equipment required to do my job, and the way I have it configured, I can store supples, locks, etc. in a cabinet beneath my machines. This car is amazing! It has more than paid for itself with the extensive city driving I do and with a lumbar pillow, is plenty comfortable for driving the 8+ hrs a day!

Favorite Features

The sound system is excellent, gas mileage phenomenal, it's incredibly styled and there's plenty of room inside.

Suggested Improvements

The seats could use a chiropractors touch...that's about it.

good overall
By Jim

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the winter drop is beyond expected 5-7 mpg,comfort for 6'2" but agree lumbar support needed, nav is a waste in this day of cell phone nav,don't buy, got 63k on oe tires,some alignment issues, would like to see lineup expanded, apparently in works,have never achieved over 49.5 on highway 70 mph, no some getting 55 mpg at 55 mph

Favorite Features

summer mpg,good overall ride for price

Suggested Improvements

seats, nav, model with more volume,

Best Car Ever Owned
By WP

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my '08 Prius, Package II, in March '08. Lifetime average has been 47MPG with over 18k miles/year and mostly highway mileage. It does tend to do 2-5 mpg less in winter. Have owned cars for over 21 years now and this stands out as best car ever for getting from A to B as well as errands. Amazing and misleading amount of storage space.

Favorite Features

Excellent MPG, Storage space, technology extras such as the keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Needs an adjustable lumbar support and Toyota should supply an approved hitch for bicycle racks; understand it can't tow anything but owners have to go to other companys to buy a hitch to haul a bike - of course it also fits inside!

Great Vehicle...Even in Wisconsin!
By Wisconsin08Prius

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have only owned our Prius for a short time and I can only say good things about it so far. It handles great in all weather conditions. We live in Wisconsin and experience snow every few days, which has been no problem. Fuel economy is great although slightly lower, but not significantly, in the winter weather. It is a very fun car to drive. I am 6'5" 240 pounds and fit comfortably driving and sitting in the passengers seat. Very roomy. I have not experienced any of the phantom shut offs or anything along those lines. The glare on the screen that people talk about has been a non-issue. The lights being dim on the dash is solved by adjusting the dimmer switch until they are super bright.

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy-45 average. A good amount of trunk space. Head room is great for taller drivers and passengers.

Suggested Improvements

The back up beep is a bit annoying I agree. I usually just go in reverse for a few seconds though. :)

best hybrid on the market
By nic-in-WI

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, we love this car. We've had it for almost a year and a half. Handles reasonably well in WI winters and also performed very well in the mountains. Averaged 60mpg through Yellowstone National Park while being fully loaded with gear. Plenty of leg room for my 6'1 husband. Would definitely purchase another.

Favorite Features

Very roomy for a small car. Better for the environment. Love the features, such as bluetooth, steering wheel controls, and JBL sound system.

Suggested Improvements

The back-up beeping should be audible on the exterior for the times the car is in electric mode. It is annoying to the driver to have it inside! Roomier wheel-well to prevent snow from being packed into it.