2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45 on 09/02/13 23:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car. Was very hesitant to buy due to fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery. Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time. My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation. Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor. Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road. I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather. No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

Bought a used touring model
By Mike on 02/17/10 21:03 PM (PST)

Averaging 45mpg. Performance is great for an engine this size and efficient. Paid $16,500 with nav, jbl, touring edition an 36500 miles. The incline of the front of the car causes a lot of bug paint damage to the hood and above windshield. A lot of sunlight inside the car due to the angles of the glass and there is no tint strip at the top of the windshield. Very pleased with gas mileage since my 06 m35 only averaged 19mpg. The car handles better than my $45k infiniti and handles rough roads much better. Seats are more comfortable too. At least the plastic interior looks good for plastic. I love the car and look forward to driving it and with each mile i drive i'm saving for my son's college

Disappointed in fuel economy
By reid on 08/03/09 05:55 AM (PDT)

I had a 2007 Prius which got 47 to 53 mpg. This car was totaled and I was so happy with the car itself and then definitely the safety features. I purchased a 2008 Prius and now only get 36 to 43 mpg. I have been to a local dealer to no avail and I am heading to the dealership where I bought the car today. Leaving on big road trip in September, I hope they can do something!!

Safety and reliability
By Snow on 07/13/09 21:52 PM (PDT)

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

I love my Prius
By Nancy on 04/25/09 10:56 AM (PDT)

I have owned my 2008 Prius for a year. I sold an E class Mercedes to do this so I was committed to a "greener" car. I like everything about it except that it "slips" going uphill in the rain. I live in the Pacific Northwest so this is not a good thing. I am going to change the tires and see if that helps. I also had it simply shut down in the middle of a freeway and was interested to read that this has happened to others. I thought I was low on fuel but perhaps there is more to it than I initially thought. I am also curious about the fuel consumption ratings I am seeing for the 2009 models being advertised by Toyota Canada of 72 miles/gallon. Is this true?

Great technology but less on comfort
By Blomman on 04/08/09 22:08 PM (PDT)

It is a great car, gas mileage, space inside. However it has left things to wish on comfort. The seat settings are very basic, no heat in the seats even though it is the top of the range version.

Car Dies in Snow and on Highway
By Cathie on 03/21/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

People are going to get killed in snow. I've been stuck twice where both once you go into a skid you have no power to get out of it. It took me 45 minutes to get up a small hill once I skidded. The car loses all power. actually had a cop behind me as I tried to get my car moving so I wouldn't get hit. Dealer said Toyota made it so you can't shut off the Vehicle control Stability for SAFETY REASONS HA! This is dangerous. I've also had 2 incidents on back to back weekends where my car hesitates, the dash board lights go on and I lose all power. This happened 3 times on the highway and 2x on back road same night. This is a dangerous car and I will be getting rid of it once it is fixed.

Love the Prius
By William Smith on 03/14/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

I checked on this vehicle for over a year before I bought it. I thought it would be a good vehicle to buy. I drove it on two occasions prior to purchase. It has been much better than that. No problems, mileage isn't quite what others claim, but I am happy with 45 average. The car is full of goodies that others miss out on. It is a very good experience to own and drive. It does take a few weeks to get used to it, but when you do, you will love it.

Prius, BUT!!
By dickcsjr1 on 02/06/09 13:58 PM (PST)

The Prius Touring model is a great summer car. Recently I discovered I should NEVER drive it when snow may be expected. A unique design feature cuts off the power to the front wheels if the TRAC system determines that one wheel is spinning faster than the other. That can leave you stranded!!

Surprisingly Roomy!
By Ray on 10/30/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

The title is what I hear from all of my friends and the "anti-Prius" crowd when they first sit in my car. With so many suggested improvements, why did I give it such a high mark? Mainly because the cons mean a lot less to me than the pros. Last year, I was set on buying a hybrid, so when comparing other models, the Prius was a hands down winner. The rear trunk/back seat design is much more superior than the hybrid honda civic. I also feel it is superior to the Toyota Camry Hybrid. If the Prius is too expensive, I have a friend who bought a Honda Fit and loves it. Overall, the Prius is a great car with a great design, and I am happy to see more and more of them in the Boston area!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.