2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2 on 06/27/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson – no more overpriced Toyotas!

147,000 miles so far, zero problem
By jimmybirdie on 01/12/12 10:42 AM (PST)

I am an extreme commuter and I would not have been able to do this without my beloved Prius. After 4 years I have about 147,000 miles on the car and have had zero problem so far. I average about 47 - 54 mpg depending on how fast I drive. If I drive 75 mph I will get about 45-47 mpg. If I drive 65 mph I would get around 52 mpg. I still have the original brakes and my mechanic told me that it still has 75% of life left. This is due to regenerating braking and my most highway driving. The OEM tires lasted 60k miles. I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge tires and after 87k they are still good for another 20k miles according to my mechanic.

White Elephant
By Sanjeev Gupta on 03/28/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

Good vehicle. Comfortable driving but defeats the purpose of buying it. Mileage 49 for the first year, 46 for the second year, 44 in this third year. Recommended Tires very expensive ($108 against $60 for regular one), headlight HID bulbs burn out fast- Ultra expensive ($771.43 +Tax). Car can only be serviced at dealership and they charge a lot more than a regular service at Walmart. I do not see any savings.

2 Years & Going Strong - Prius Love!
By bluegrass in Hogtown on 03/27/10 11:24 AM (PDT)

Well,hey, it's now been 2 full years of ownership, and mighty good ones, at that. It's still toting my Kay upright bass, guitars, banjos, etc., and has even survived a pole smack, although not without my spending some time in a rental while body work was done (beautifully) and an EXPENSIVE little thermos-tank-container-thingy right behind the front bumper was installed TWICE (first replacement was defective, second one is on order). So - don't HIT anything (you would think plastic was cheap - nope!). Anyway, gas mileage & hauling capacity can't be beat. Pain at the pump? Nope! Smile on my face? Yep-you betcha!

Best Car Ever Owned in 21 Years of owner
By wp on 02/20/10 13:05 PM (PST)

Very first foreign car ever purchased and absolutely best car ever owned. Excellent cost of ownership, great commuter and unbelievable and very deceiving amount of cargo space - especially with seats down. Hauled over 400 lbs of dog food to kennel couple mths ago! 4 Stars on comfort because could really use an adjustable lumbar support; other than that perfect. Also, fun to drive in a techy kind of way. Lifetime avg mpg is 47.5mpg. currently 36k miles mostly highway.

STUPID CAR - very disappointed!!!!!
By adam07 on 11/15/09 13:16 PM (PST)

I bought this car in march 08, and two months later, there are countless dents from the smallest branches and acorns, it has dinky wheels, and the ugliest design, plus the brakes got really squeaky by June of 08 and Toyota told me there is nothing they could do. Toyota is the worst car company ever, I made a HUGE mistake, I should have bought a Jeep Patriot instead, it has more style, still has good gas mileage, and is a hell of a lot more durable than this junk!

Wipers and power points
By jtjtruth on 10/26/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

For the most part the Prius is a good vehicle. The most annoying thing is the Wiper control and placement. It is to easy to hit and start a real circus of front and rear wipers. Secondly with a vehicle that is one big battery, Why was it designed to kill the power to the power charge points when the vehicle is off. This is completely illogical and quite annoying in today's use of so many required electronics.

Rermarkable Car!
By Toby on 10/15/09 06:10 AM (PDT)

This is the most remarkable car I have ever owned. It is economical, roomy, comfortable (I am 6'2" and have heard about how it doesn't fit tall people. Nonsense!), and fun to drive. I love the fact that it delivers great economy without producing tons of emissions while at the same time it is quick off the mark and able to climb mountains without hesitation (I have also heard about its supposed defects in this regard). I replaced the tires with Michelin Energy Savers A/S and saw the economy jump nearly 9%. I highly recommend those tires.

Great Car!!
By Hugh on 10/05/09 15:14 PM (PDT)

Within months of purchase my wife and I drove to Western Montana (over the continental divide) and back to Minnesota. We got 53 MPG at a time when gas was about $4.00 a gallon. Extraordinary! There's plenty of room inside, but I do not like the touch screen -- you can't see it in bright sunlight. I'm glad they got rid of it (for the most part) in the new ones. I wouldn't trade this car for any other on the road. It's the best car I have ever owned. I disagree with those who find it slow off the mark. It has plenty of get up and go.

Heat issues in Michigan
By Dan D. on 08/30/09 06:45 AM (PDT)

I bought my Prius just before the economy crashed. Don't drive it in the winter as it takes forever to warm up and won't keep ice or snow buildup off the windshield. I'm concerned about comments on quitting for no reason and dead battery. I stored mine last winter and started it every couple of weeks with no problems. But didn't get it out until March. Mileage goes south when weather is cold. So I just drove my Pickup beginning in late Nov. until March. Also noted that tire wear is excessive. They must have used a cheap tire as OEM. Wouldn't buy another as insurance is high and needing a different vehicle for the seasons defeats economy of transportation. It's built well though.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback in WA is:

$114 per month*