Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Prius is it worth it?
By Henry Amon

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The gas mileage is great. The interior could use a little better quality. I've had a molding come loose and the design of the instruments in some places is great and in others confusing. It feels great but is a bit loud. I think it's worth it but don't expect ,luxury.

2008 Prius: 151k miles, no problems ever
By Neil Lifson

Good car, can carry loads of cargo, never needs repairs, needs snow tires for better traction, esp. for getting out of icy driveway with slight uphill slant, great traction with snow tires, front seats (cloth) not too comfortable for long road trips but perfectly OK for day-to-day driving, newer Prius versions have better seats, we get about 44 mpg overall consistently but originally got 46 mpg with original tires, original tires wore out very quickly (15k miles) but got good gas mileage, annoying that the doors tend to all lock by themselves when you shut off car (except for driver's door), lacks a pivoting sun visor (only goes in 2 directions), newer models have more up-front leg room, power window buttons and door lock buttons do not light up, very safe car for head-on collisions ( experienced head-on collision in 2004 Prius, which is of the same generation as 2008 Prius, and survived in quite good condition with just a few broken ribs and some vertibrea with slight cracks that had to be kept immobilized for 2-3 months just in case (2004 Prius was totalled).

Some major costs with replacement of headlights
By Nurch

Apparently this year Prius had a problem with the headlights, and mine chose to be problematic after the warranty had expired. The dealer was incredibly expensive to replace the first one that failed, I used a body shop for the second and the price was significantly less than half the dealer cost.

Still going at 115,000 miles
By Trish

I got the extended warranty which was useful as both front bearings needed replacement at 62K.
I thought the navigation system would be helpful but it was out of date almost immediately and the cost to update was $75. It was never as good as the gamin or other popular programs at the time. Seems to me this would be something the dealer could offer as a perk. Soon after I got it cell phone navigation became a thing. Never use it. The voice recognition system was useless too.
The driver's seat is not as comfortable as it should be and I wish it would go back just one more inch to accommodate my legs. Back seats are roomy enough for road trips. Easily fits 4 adults and luggage.
I follow the usual maintenance schedule and have otherwise had no problems with this car. No problems with rust even where I've scraped it up.
It holds an amazing amount of stuff as the rear seats fold down flat. It will fit a twin size mattress in the back.
I plan on keeping this thing for a full 10 years then passing it down to my son when he's old enough to drive.
Purchased a set of snow tires and rims. It runs great in the snow.

162,000 and loving it!!!
By Laura

I love this car! It is the most reliable and inexpensive car I've owned. I plan on keeping this car for many more years. I love when I have to park it because it's small enough to fit in those tight spots. The backup camera is a plus and it's pretty good in the snow as long as you have good tires. I know eventually I'll have to replace the battery but I intend to keep it since the body of the car is in such great shape. I would highly recommend owning a Prius.