Used 2008 Toyota Prius Standard Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson no more overpriced Toyotas!

147,000 miles so far, zero problem
By jimmybirdie

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an extreme commuter and I would not have been able to do this without my beloved Prius. After 4 years I have about 147,000 miles on the car and have had zero problem so far. I average about 47 - 54 mpg depending on how fast I drive. If I drive 75 mph I will get about 45-47 mpg. If I drive 65 mph I would get around 52 mpg. I still have the original brakes and my mechanic told me that it still has 75% of life left. This is due to regenerating braking and my most highway driving. The OEM tires lasted 60k miles. I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge tires and after 87k they are still good for another 20k miles according to my mechanic.

Favorite Features

50+ mpg back-up camera utility of hatch back design engine off at intersections/drive thrus smart key

Suggested Improvements

Better comfort with driver and passenger seats.

White Elephant
By Sanjeev Gupta

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good vehicle. Comfortable driving but defeats the purpose of buying it. Mileage 49 for the first year, 46 for the second year, 44 in this third year. Recommended Tires very expensive ($108 against $60 for regular one), headlight HID bulbs burn out fast- Ultra expensive ($771.43 +Tax). Car can only be serviced at dealership and they charge a lot more than a regular service at Walmart. I do not see any savings.

Favorite Features

Rear view Camera, Homelink Garage Door Opener.

Suggested Improvements

Align the original intent of making this car with actual money savings.

2 Years & Going Strong - Prius Love!
By bluegrass in Hogtown

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well,hey, it's now been 2 full years of ownership, and mighty good ones, at that. It's still toting my Kay upright bass, guitars, banjos, etc., and has even survived a pole smack, although not without my spending some time in a rental while body work was done (beautifully) and an EXPENSIVE little thermos-tank-container-thingy right behind the front bumper was installed TWICE (first replacement was defective, second one is on order). So - don't HIT anything (you would think plastic was cheap - nope!). Anyway, gas mileage & hauling capacity can't be beat. Pain at the pump? Nope! Smile on my face? Yep-you betcha!

Favorite Features

Room, room, and more room! Happiness at the gas station! "Green" money in my wallet! Heh!

Suggested Improvements

Still can't think of a thing, except that overly unintelligible navigation thingy, which this blond gave up on 2 years ago. Qhat did you think, that I would figure it out?

Best Car Ever Owned in 21 Years of owner
By wp

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very first foreign car ever purchased and absolutely best car ever owned. Excellent cost of ownership, great commuter and unbelievable and very deceiving amount of cargo space - especially with seats down. Hauled over 400 lbs of dog food to kennel couple mths ago! 4 Stars on comfort because could really use an adjustable lumbar support; other than that perfect. Also, fun to drive in a techy kind of way. Lifetime avg mpg is 47.5mpg. currently 36k miles mostly highway.

Favorite Features

Fuel Mileage, Key FOB, Cargo Space, Low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support and of course looking forward to the plug in version!