Used 2008 Toyota Prius Standard Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Some major costs with replacement of headlights
By Nurch

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Apparently this year Prius had a problem with the headlights, and mine chose to be problematic after the warranty had expired. The dealer was incredibly expensive to replace the first one that failed, I used a body shop for the second and the price was significantly less than half the dealer cost.

Still going at 115,000 miles
By Trish

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got the extended warranty which was useful as both front bearings needed replacement at 62K.
I thought the navigation system would be helpful but it was out of date almost immediately and the cost to update was $75. It was never as good as the gamin or other popular programs at the time. Seems to me this would be something the dealer could offer as a perk. Soon after I got it cell phone navigation became a thing. Never use it. The voice recognition system was useless too.
The driver's seat is not as comfortable as it should be and I wish it would go back just one more inch to accommodate my legs. Back seats are roomy enough for road trips. Easily fits 4 adults and luggage.
I follow the usual maintenance schedule and have otherwise had no problems with this car. No problems with rust even where I've scraped it up.
It holds an amazing amount of stuff as the rear seats fold down flat. It will fit a twin size mattress in the back.
I plan on keeping this thing for a full 10 years then passing it down to my son when he's old enough to drive.
Purchased a set of snow tires and rims. It runs great in the snow.

162,000 and loving it!!!
By Laura

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! It is the most reliable and inexpensive car I've owned. I plan on keeping this car for many more years. I love when I have to park it because it's small enough to fit in those tight spots. The backup camera is a plus and it's pretty good in the snow as long as you have good tires. I know eventually I'll have to replace the battery but I intend to keep it since the body of the car is in such great shape. I would highly recommend owning a Prius.

All-round Excellent car
By charles hall

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Aside from some shabby fabric on the center console, this has been a superb car. I've had maybe one repair done, and it was some routine thing they spotted at the 100k check-up. I get 48.5 mpg year round. It's quiet, and accelerates strongly at freeway speeds, like 45-75. Lots and lots of cargo space and catch-all storage areas. Only drawback? In 2008 they didn't have USB or iPod interfaces to the radio. There's also a design flaw with the traction control (which cannot be disabled) where when you stop at a stop sign and the pavement is the least but slick with water, ice or gravel the car may move haltingly when you press the gas. This is very bad, but you learn not to try and dart into traffic except in dry weather. Otherwise the performance and handling is fine.

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson – no more overpriced Toyotas!